Official Blake Green signs with Bulldogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We would like to confirm the signing of current Newcastle half Blake Green on a one year contract taking him through until the end of the 2021 season.

The contract was signed weeks prior to the injury, but Blake has been a professional and durable player throughout his career and the club is confident that he will return successfully in the 2021 season.

The experienced 33 year-old, who had a previous stint with the Bulldogs in 2010 where he played in 18 matches, will join the Bulldogs next season.

Green has had an extended career in the NRL, having currently played in 175 matches for a number of clubs that included the Melbourne Storm between 2015-16.

In addition, Green has major experience in the Super League having played for Hull Kingston Rovers (2011-12) and Wigan (2013-14), for whom he won the Man of the Match Award in the 2013 Super League Grand Final.

Bulldogs Chief Executive Andrew Hill confirmed the signing of the experienced half:

"Having agreed to terms 3 weeks ago with Blake, we believe that we have secured an excellent player and someone who has performed well wherever he has played.

We are confident that Blake will be able to bring a great deal of experience and leadership to our young group as an excellent game-manager.

We feel that Blake will have a great impact on our squad next season, after undergoing a period of recovery around his current injury."

NRL 2020: Blake Green signs with Bulldogs as Kieran Foran replacement
Michael Carayannis, The Daily Telegraph
August 26, 2020 3:27pm

Canterbury have signed Blake Green to a one-year deal and will honour the contract despite the veteran rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament for Newcastle last Sunday.
Green is Trent Barrett’s first signing in a homecoming of some sorts for the 33-year-old, who played 18 games for the Bulldogs in 2010.
The Bulldogs moved on Green prior to his injury when it became apparent Kieran Foran would no longer be at the club at season’s end.
Now the pivotal signing has quickly soured following Green’s long-term injury. The two parties have agreed to a one-year deal and both intend on honouring it.

Blake Green will return to Canterbury after spending one season there in 2010.

Blake Green will return to Canterbury after spending one season there in 2010.
The injury will sideline Green for between six to nine months which basically rules him out of the entire pre-season at Belmore. The best-case scenario is that Green is fit in time for round one but that would fall within the seven month mark.
Barrett and Green are familiar with each other after Green spent one season under the new Bulldogs coach at Manly in 2017 before Green wanted out to secure a rich long-term deal at the Warriors.
Green only featured in three games for the Knights after making a mid-season switch to join a record-equalling seventh club. As he has already played for the Bulldogs, the amount of clubs he has played for would remain at seven.

Blake Green will farewell the Newcastle Knights after a short stay. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty Images

The Bulldogs see him as a key signing given the lack of experience heading into next year. He will partner either Lachlan Lewis or Brandon Wakeham in the halves after Foran rejected the club’s offer of a one year deal.
Green was to have faced his former club the Warriors on Saturday.
Canberra outside back Nick Cotric has been the major purchase for the Bulldogs heading into next year having added England prop Luke Thompson mid-season and re-signed the likes of Adam Elliott, Will Hopoate and Josh Jackson.

Last edited by a moderator:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd prefer Foran to Green any day of the week but obviously Foran wants longer than one year. We have to have someone in mind for 2022... if it's Matt Burton I can't believe we couldn't get him earlier...

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd prefer Foran to Green any day of the week but obviously Foran wants longer than one year. We have to have someone in mind for 2022... if it's Matt Burton I can't believe we couldn't get him earlier...
Hopefully Green is just a backup plan in case we cant get Burton for next year. The fact that he'll miss the entire pre-season is a massive concern though

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Laughable. Let’s start 2021 with our star recruit (before announced) in Rehab. Sportsbet open for Wooden Spoon in 2021?
So far even with Thompson, Cotric and now Green signings I'd be surprised if we weren't favourites for the spoon in betting for 2021. There's no way in hell we don't sign a top hooker so I think once we do that it'll help a lot (fingers crossed another one to two decent signings too).

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ffs we can’t catch a break. Hopefully his recovery goes well is all I can say.
He was on big dollars at the Warriors too, hopefully we aren’t paying that

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Might have to medically retire him :p

And wow......... He was available a few weeks ago, why wouldnt we bring him in then? we lost CHN so cash wouldnt have been the problem. Now not only are we getting returned goods, they are damaged, and to make it worse we paid for it :p

Geez we are a club going places it seems :joycat::joycat::joycat:

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I did not see that there was a whole paragraph about this signing obviously taking place before he did his ACL and that both parties will honour the contract.

34 year old coming off a fresh ACL, yeah I fkn bet he was keen to honour it.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Might have to medically retire him :p

And wow......... He was available a few weeks ago, why wouldnt we bring him in then? we lost CHN so cash wouldnt have been the problem. Now not only are we getting returned goods, they are damaged, and to make it worse we paid for it :p

Geez we are a club going places it seems :joycat::joycat::joycat:
Sounds similar to McCullough. Why go to a bottom club when you can go to a club that can make the finals. Isn't the best feeling losing every week either. He's probably going to be here next year too :tearsofjoy:.