Blake Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree frawley is not the answer,but I have had a bit to do with carney up here in the pride\ Atherton Rooters systems and I can assure you he is not what we want at the dogs,Lewis is ready made for the spot IMO and he wont cost us anything.
Agree 100%. We need to be using this spot to grow our young blokes into the role. We have one of the world's best halves there to guide them in their development and people keep wanting to bring other clubs trash in to fill the hole. I just don't get it.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This Austin topic will pass soon enough. I think the Hastings thread lasted a while, then the sezar drum was beating, now onto austin.....
Funny how everyone has inside info aswell, however no one heard anything about us trying to sign Suli for the previous 6months

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m hoping after the last trial that Pay realises Lewis is a centred arsehole but a bonafide half
KiwiDog7, you’re on pointe with your thoughts on Lewis. Why look elsewhere when we have a young promising up and comer who showed some really good signs against a full strength Penrith.

I can see him flourishing outside of Foran and defensively, he’s got great technique.

Pay seems like the type of guy willing to give opportunities to those who deserve it or to the ones that do get it and grab it with both hands. I guess time will tell..

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
worth noting that has assistants were both halves, Steve Antoneli was a 5/8- centre and dave penna a half also, so im sure they are helping with the attack
Steve Antoneli is key... David Penna did bugger all last year

timetopisshasleroff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would take Sezer on a one year deal if cheap but not Austin.
Sezer would be a good 7 that is a goal kicker. With Foran at 6.
Id take austin, sezer doesnt take the line on and wont take whacks for his ballrunners.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Much rather Lachlan Lewis outside Kieran Foran in the halves and Jeremy Marshall-King as our utility!!!
So would I but then what of Mbye?? Don't tell me you would rather Mbye over RTS...

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thoughts on our half predicament is that we have a great organiser and ball player in Foran, but we are still lacking a sound kicking game. Foran has never been a noted kicker in general play having played outside , Cherry Evans, Norman and Johnson. I feel that Pay needs to look at all our options in the halves and play the half with the best kicking game to partner Foran. I feel this will provide our best combo. Buying Austin won’t help our predicament. Whilst i rate him as a player in his own right, I just don’t feel he will complement Foran and fix our general play kicking deficiency’s.
Sezar no matter what you think of him, would be more what we need. Strong kicking game and also a goal kicker.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
My thoughts on our half predicament is that we have a great organiser and ball player in Foran, but we are still lacking a sound kicking game. Foran has never been a noted kicker in general play having played outside , Cherry Evans, Norman and Johnson. I feel that Pay needs to look at all our options in the halves and play the half with the best kicking game to partner Foran. I feel this will provide our best combo. Buying Austin won’t help our predicament. Whilst i rate him as a player in his own right, I just don’t feel he will complement Foran and fix our general play kicking deficiency’s.
Sezar no matter what you think of him, would be more what we need. Strong kicking game and also a goal kicker.
We don't 'need' anyone. We have at least one goal kicker in the side and we have a world class half. We also have 3 or 4 good young blokes who will rise to the challenge playing alongside Foz. You can't complain about not having any juniors and then not giving any of the young'uns a go when the time comes. I'm OK with Frawley getting first shot but if he doesn't work out then Cleeland/Lewis/JMK are champing at the bit for a shot.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't 'need' anyone. We have at least one goal kicker in the side and we have a world class half. We also have 3 or 4 good young blokes who will rise to the challenge playing alongside Foz. You can't complain about not having any juniors and then not giving any of the young'uns a go when the time comes. I'm OK with Frawley getting first shot but if he doesn't work out then Cleeland/Lewis/JMK are champing at the bit for a shot.
I think your totally misunderstanding my post. My view is that we need to choose the half with the best kicking game from what we have available . This will best complement Foran. In terms of new signings I was merely stating that if we are going to the player market then Sezar is the best fit to complement Foran , out of those available on the market. No where do I state that we need to buy a half and that we don’t have depth now. Nor do I infer that we don’t have a world class halve. Out of our current options I am inclined to think Lewis or Frawley are our best kickers in general play. I am also excited about Brandon Wakeham who may figure in 2019.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree 100%. We need to be using this spot to grow our young blokes into the role. We have one of the world's best halves there to guide them in their development and people keep wanting to bring other clubs trash in to fill the hole. I just don't get it.
Yeah a hole that does not exist,we have the perfect opportunity to weed the rubbish out of the dogs and it seems to me that's what pay intends to do.Quality players of our own making is what the dogs used to do better than any other club let's let pay get back to that.

Wokball

Waterboy
Reaction score
Not a bad suggestion for Austin but I believe Lachlan Lewis is the future.
He's been consistently solid for us in whatever grade he's played in.
I was at a freezing cold Belmore Sports Ground on a Saturday in 2016 , two days after Lewis arrived at the club from Canberra's feeder club in Qld.
He controlled our game beautifully for the 20's that day against a ferocious Sharks pack who I believe where leading the competition at that stage and favorites to take out the title.
Lewis stood proud at number 6 and was so assertive.
I'd be devastated if we couldn't hold onto this young kid long term.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think your totally misunderstanding my post. My view is that we need to choose the half with the best kicking game from what we have available . This will best complement Foran. In terms of new signings I was merely stating that if we are going to the player market then Sezar is the best fit to complement Foran , out of those available on the market. No where do I state that we need to buy a half and that we don’t have depth now. Nor do I infer that we don’t have a world class halve. Out of our current options I am inclined to think Lewis or Frawley are our best kickers in general play. I am also excited about Brandon Wakeham who may figure in 2019.
All good mate, but we need to start from the position that we have more than enough halves to pick from. Let's see how they go before we go looking for the fish that John West rejected. Look, if Munster or Morgan came onto the market you would be silly not to look at them but we already have a world class half in our team - let's see if we can develop a couple of options around him. In terms of Sezer, he is not a runner. All he brings is goal kicking and everyone seems to have written Mbye off when he has no doubt been practicing his backside off and will no doubt be much better. Foran is the organiser. I think in terms of complementary skills Cleeland or Lewis are prob better options but I am happy for Frawley to keep or lose the spot first.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
cleeland, lewis and JMK are not high class players and basically fringe first graders at best. lichaa has alot to prove still and Mbye is unknown at fullback.
our whole season revolves around Foran, which is not a good position to be in. in saying that, if he can survive the whole season and the others step up then we can challenge for a top6 birth.
Just had a look at the 'top 30' on our website and if that is the final one then JMK didn't make the cut. You can't carry high class players from the get go in every position. You have to get the best blend. We have a top class half, we have IMO a top class hooker and a top class FB. We need a running 5/8 who can kick and all of our current options can do that. Once whoever Pay settles on gets a few games under their belt with Foz we will be fine. People forget that players like Morgan were FB's who transitioned to the halves and in his case learnt from JT. He did SFA while JT was running things but then just hit the go button when JT got hurt. I think blokes like Cleeland and Lewis can be like that. Not sure about Frawley but maybe him as well.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just had a look at the 'top 30' on our website and if that is the final one then JMK didn't make the cut. You can't carry high class players from the get go in every position. You have to get the best blend. We have a top class half, we have IMO a top class hooker and a top class FB. We need a running 5/8 who can kick and all of our current options can do that. Once whoever Pay settles on gets a few games under their belt with Foz we will be fine. People forget that players like Morgan were FB's who transitioned to the halves and in his case learnt from JT. He did SFA while JT was running things but then just hit the go button when JT got hurt. I think blokes like Cleeland and Lewis can be like that. Not sure about Frawley but maybe him as well.
Interesting if that's the Top 30. Tom Carr missed out as well (which is disappointing).

Although we may make cutbacks at end of this season.

I'd have preferred JMK in for Woolford, as JMK can cover a few positions.

Suprised if it's the case, as Priest hasn't played a game for us, Cerruto hasn't been sighted much, ditto Reimis Smith.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting if that's the Top 30. Tom Carr missed out as well (which is disappointing).

Although we may make cutbacks at end of this season.

I'd have preferred JMK in for Woolford, as JMK can cover a few positions.

Suprised if it's the case, as Priest hasn't played a game for us, Cerruto hasn't been sighted much, ditto Reimis Smith.
Doesn't quite add up for mine. Had a quick look at the rorters for context and they had 33 - damn they know how to get around a cap!!

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMK looked very promising in the trials along with Lewis.

Personally I would not bother with Austin since we have Lewis & JMK but on the other hand I wouldnt mind Austin as a utility and a backup when Foran goes down this year.

If Foran goes down we will be bent over and smashed jackhammer style with no lube whatsoever

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think we should be prepared to be linked with a lot of Raiders players in the next few years. With Pay here now player managers will use us to drive up their players price and I think this is what Austin is doing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.