Blackberry R.I.P.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

In 2012 BlackBerry had 80 million users worldwide and were considered the worlds best smartphone.

In the mid teenies (2015) BB knew the iOS and Android platforms were leading the charge in smart phone business and tried to close the gap by building their own smartphone. Sadly, the reputation of powerhouses like Samsung and Apple was far too great for them to fight on so they’ve had to pull the plug.

The phones will still turn on and certain apps will still work, however you can no longer make calls, send messages or access the internet. You might as well hang onto one of you still got it though as a technology antique.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

In 2012 BlackBerry had 80 million users worldwide and were considered the worlds best smartphone.

In the mid teenies (2015) BB knew the iOS and Android platforms were leading the charge in smart phone business and tried to close the gap by building their own smartphone. Sadly, the reputation of powerhouses like Samsung and Apple was far too great for them to fight on so they’ve had to pull the plug.

The phones will still turn on and certain apps will still work, however you can no longer make calls, send messages or access the internet. You might as well hang onto one of you still got it though as a technology antique.
This should go in the things that will be worth a lot of money one day thread Wahesh :grinning:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This should go in the things that will be worth a lot of money one day thread Wahesh :grinning:
I thought Nokia 3310's would go that way. But when they made 2 million of them and they never die, there's just too many still around for them to be worth anything.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I thought Nokia 3310's would go that way. But when they made 2 million of them and they never die, there's just too many still around for them to be worth anything.
Got a Nokia 6120c...reckon I should get it back off the grand daughter as her play phone? :grinning:

Wahesh

Reaction score
I remember when I was working for a top-end ICT business, we had a messaging team that would manage the Blackberry's that we had. When I first saw them, I was blown away at how awesome they looked. They were kind of like a mini computer with phone capabilities (back around 2006-2007), and a slick look that fit right into your pocket. So it's fair to say that they really raised the bar back then, but they simply couldn't compete with the other players once the going got tough.

1642372078352.png

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
they simply couldn't compete with the other players once the going got tough.
Yep, 15 minutes of fame (so to speak).
BB’s were all the rage for a while, especially among corporates for email (and crims for encryption). But as soon as iOS and Android gained ascendancy they were pretty much dead in the water. Surprised they held on as long as they did - probably still made some money from legacy devices and support programs.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yep, 15 minutes of fame (so to speak).
BB’s were all the rage for a while, especially among corporates for email (and crims for encryption). But as soon as iOS and Android gained ascendancy they were pretty much dead in the water. Surprised they held on as long as they did - probably still made some money from legacy devices and support programs.
Yeah that's true. I remember reading an article a few years ago (this was once iOS and Android were truly flying high above the others), BlackBerry said they were going to develop one more device, and this one was to look like the current Smart Phones and it was either make or break for them. The problem was that Apple and Samsung were innovating their current projects, and there was too much of a gap for BB to close that gap and then innovate it. On top of this you had newer players in the phone game such as Google, Huawei, Oppo etc... (and tonnes more we haven't even heard of the were adopting Android), and that was pretty much it for them.

I never had a BlackBerry myself from work, however a few years ago I started a new job and I opened the desk drawer to put my things in, and a BlackBerry were just left there. I turned it on just and it worked pretty well. It would open and play YouTube videos, had an active email address, and all the apps would work. The little tracking circle in them middle acted like a mouse as well. Not a bad little for it's time but couldn't keep up. I think if anyone had one of these things they should hang onto it as, even though it's useless, it'll become a rare antique device.