Bird, Myles and Carney - to name a few, or two. or three or...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why do we reward the bad boys playing rugby league.

Is it because we need their talent and disregard their foolishness.
Sure, we all want success - but at what price?

Take Bird - dumped by Cronulla after a well publicised incident some years ago, yet has managed
to reach the dizzy heights of playing SOO and for our country.
Clearly talented, clearly tough but clearly questionable.

Nate Myles - decides to lose his rear load on some carpet in some hotel.
Couldn't make the loo and like an infant drops a poo for all to see and smell and to be disgusted by.
Myles is another SOO rep and has played for the green and gold as well.

Todd Carney - the former bad boy of league, has had more chances than a lifelong of monopoly.
Probably more naturally gifted than three good footballers in the NRL.
Banned from his home town, he has gone on to be one of the best paid players in the game.

The Bulldogs, generally around the introduction of Todd Greenburg's appointment to the helm, have adopted
a no clown policy so you won't be considered if you can't hold your drink or find it difficult to control your bowels.
If you somehow get a jumper then develop some naughtiness the door will be shown to you quick smart.
Canterbury Bankstown's partnership with Camp Quality has been invaluable to the Dogs and has taught them there
is more to life than themselves. The partnership was a resounding success and will be remembered as one of the major
contributing factors in turning the Dogs around recently.

Some may say these guys have done their time and served their penance.
Sure, we all make mistakes..........but, please.

Perhaps the bad boys of rugby league should ease up on the grog and focus on something outside of their world for a change.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
When people are desperate to win they don't care who plays for them.

Malla

Reaction score
Great post. It's a common theme in the game.

You could class Dugan into that same category. I can go as far back to say Willie Mason, Reni Maitua and even SBW. Like FreshSoul said - it's all about their talent and nothing about their behaviour. If they can play footy and help a team win then they're going to be gifted with a thousand chances. Ferguson will be back in the NRL soon, he will hit a purple patch of form and the league will be saluting him again. These guys should be rubbed out for good.

The way I see it - say Greg Bird for example, he is holding back another young guy who has never put a foot wrong throughout his career. What Bird did to his missus back then (around the time when the whole focus shifted to women in league) he should have never been let back into the NRL.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great thread Rwalker999!

Taking a dump or just being a bonehead getting smashed is stupid but thats what some young dumb blokes do. Embarrassing for themselves but its forgivable as they did not hurt anyone but themselves.

Getting a dog to suck you off? I just dont know what to say but "Poor dog"

Hitting a women! This simply should not be tolerated at all. These clowns (Bird/Barba/Lui) should be rubbed out for life. How can anyone or any club put a "Women's of League" jersey on these dickheads is beyond me. Absolutely disgraceful!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well put, I'm all for giving people second chances but third, fourth chances is a joke. Look at players like Taumata, Roberts etc. Alarm bells should ring when you've been signed to 4 or 5 different clubs.

The problem is as soon as one team sacks a player there are 2 or 3 others that want their signature.

It's the NRL's responsibility to send a message to all players but they have never taken it seriously.

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Hitting a women! This simply should not be tolerated at all. These clowns (Bird/Barba/Lui) should be rubbed out for life. How can anyone or any club put a "Women's of League" jersey on these dickheads is beyond me. Absolutely disgraceful!
Sorry to be nitpicky here, but I think hitting anyone, woman or man, is a douchebag move.

OT: I assume the NRL is managed differently on the field than off it, and sometimes don't care how you act off the field when you're playing well (Barba, just to name one)

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry to be nitpicky here, but I think hitting anyone, woman or man, is a douchebag move.

OT: I assume the NRL is managed differently on the field than off it, and sometimes don't care how you act off the field when you're playing well (Barba, just to name one)
Yeah your right but Gallen hitting Myles in SOO isnt so bad...

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Great post Mr Walker. Tots agree. Hopefully Toddy can help develop a no-clowns policy for the whole game. It doesn't mean that players won't sometimes act up, but there must be a limit, and it needs to be clear that if you go past that limit you are not wanted. Ferguson shouldn't be back, Packer shouldn't be back.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have all taken a dump somewhere were we shouldn't have

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
These men are still young & will do mistakes.

Getting drunk, acting like a bonehead without hurting anyone or even urinating in public (against a building or a tree) is forgivable in my books.

Other items mentioned above should be dismissal from NRL.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
These men are still young & will do mistakes.

Getting drunk, acting like a bonehead without hurting anyone or even urinating in public (against a building or a tree) is forgivable in my books.

Other items mentioned above should be dismissal from NRL.
To me its just not fair some people can do this and still be raking in the money, I've had to go to uni and do all this education shit giving up things and I'm still where I am when I left high school so now I've just given up on it and chipping away lol.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Roosters sign alot of these guys (sbw, carney, alleged interest in ferguson)

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do we reward the bad boys playing rugby league.

Is it because we need their talent and disregard their foolishness.
Sure, we all want success - but at what price?

Take Bird - dumped by Cronulla after a well publicised incident some years ago, yet has managed
to reach the dizzy heights of playing SOO and for our country.
Clearly talented, clearly tough but clearly questionable.

Nate Myles - decides to lose his rear load on some carpet in some hotel.
Couldn't make the loo and like an infant drops a poo for all to see and smell and to be disgusted by.
Myles is another SOO rep and has played for the green and gold as well.

Todd Carney - the former bad boy of league, has had more chances than a lifelong of monopoly.
Probably more naturally gifted than three good footballers in the NRL.
Banned from his home town, he has gone on to be one of the best paid players in the game.

The Bulldogs, generally around the introduction of Todd Greenburg's appointment to the helm, have adopted
a no clown policy so you won't be considered if you can't hold your drink or find it difficult to control your bowels.
If you somehow get a jumper then develop some naughtiness the door will be shown to you quick smart.
Canterbury Bankstown's partnership with Camp Quality has been invaluable to the Dogs and has taught them there
is more to life than themselves. The partnership was a resounding success and will be remembered as one of the major
contributing factors in turning the Dogs around recently.

Some may say these guys have done their time and served their penance.
Sure, we all make mistakes..........but, please.

Perhaps the bad boys of rugby league should ease up on the grog and focus on something outside of their world for a change.
Ironically the names you mention in your post defeat your argument. These guys did dumb things that young guys do they. They were sacked and rehired elsewhere and since then, to my knowledge, have kept their nose clean. I feel sexual assaults and domestic violence are a diff kettle of fish and are dealt with far to lightly by the nrl.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Roosters sign alot of these guys (sbw, carney, alleged interest in ferguson)
Yup, could also help explain why people like Perretts wanted out from a club that encourages having "ex-bad boys" around lol

Status
Not open for further replies.