Billy Slater will play in the 2018 GF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I seriously do not understand you people who are outraged about this.

Do you honestly want people suspended for such innocuous collisions? It isn't like he charged out of the line and squared someone up. He was running horizontal to cover the play and ended up colliding with a player. There was not much else he could do.

No one was hurt, nothing bad happened.

Ignore that it is Slater for a second (because I honestly think peoples personal opinions of him are clouding this a lot), if he got suspended for this, it sets a really shitty precedent and ensures more people in the future will get suspended for 2 weeks for something that barely even warrants a penalty.

There was no intent to "shoulder charge". You can't even say it was a 100% shoulder charge because there is definitely doubt about his arm being tucked which is one of the hard and fast definitions in the rules.

If you can't prove beyond reasonable doubt, it is not guilty.

I hope that the rules are amended after this to allow some more wiggle room for these incidents so that you rule sticklers can calm the fk down.
Well saidpersonally i miss the shoulder charge. And the biff.
I hate billy, but who cares if he got off. If it was a no one player we wouldnt be having this discussion.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
"Pec charge".

Huh.

I want Napa to throw a massive Pec charge into SLaters head then.

FMD I am actually going to cheer the rorters on now. I dont want to see storm win at all after this blatant corruption.

Any other player and they get banned without batting an eye. But precious "studs to the head" billy? oh no. Cant have that.
Fuck that. The RORTERS are the ones who are breaching the Salary Cap. Go Storm... lesser of 2 evils.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Well saidpersonally i miss the shoulder charge. And the biff.
I hate billy, but who cares if he got off. If it was a no one player we wouldnt be having this discussion.
100% we wouldn't be having the discussion if it was a "no one" player due to the fact they would be suspended last night.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A disgraceful decision..he met all the requirements of a shoulder charge as outlined in the 2017 NRL updated laws.. it’s got nothing to do whether he hurt anybody.. It’s the fact that he blantly broke the rules and he got off.. and just to note..how the committee believed he was trying to wrap his arms around Feki is beyond belief.. He was side on clutching at air.. Honestly they should just lift the ban on the shoulder charge now because if this isn’t one I don’t know what is!

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No much better if he is racing down the side line to score and Teddy comes across leading with his shoulder as did Slater and knock the little weasel out over the sideline and out as in knocked out.
Then listen to Storm whinge .
Guarantee Tedesco will get a suspension if he does that. Maybe even penalty try.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
of course hes playing otherwise hes career would have been meaningless

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
A disgraceful decision..he met all the requirements of a shoulder charge as outlined in the 2017 NRL updated laws.. it’s got nothing to do whether he hurt anybody.. It’s the fact that he blantly broke the rules and he got off.. and just to note..how the committee believed he was trying to wrap his arms around Feki is beyond belief.. He was side on clutching at air.. Honestly they should just lift the ban on the shoulder charge now because if this isn’t one I don’t know what is!
100% I dont really give a flying fuck if he plays it's the fact he broke a rule and got away with it . Why have a rule if not enforced (well only for some) and then for Slater to somehow blame Feki for 'changing direction causing the collision fuck me sooner he fucks of the better. Great player not so great end to his career.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% I dont really give a flying fuck if he plays it's the fact he broke a rule and got away with it . Why have a rule if not enforced (well only for some) and then for Slater to somehow blame Feki for 'changing direction causing the collision fuck me sooner he fucks of the better. Great player not so great end to his career.
He would have earned more respect if he didn’t fight the charge, and set an example!

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMFAO

Best late April fools day joke EVER.
You don’t think so??? I know his grub, but it would have definitely added to his legendary status in the game!

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's his last game... of course he should play... wouldn't wish that on any player to miss out on last game..

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry bro, you are the 2014 Bulldogs and the Storm are the 2014 Souths.

You are just the opponent who lost to CC Medal winner Slater.
Looks that way. Souths were just about gift wrapped that 2014 premiership. As a Chooks fan I’m surprised we are in the GF, considering I don’t believe they’ve played to their potential this year.
The Storm are the NRL’s pets along with Brisbane. Watch Sutton do his thing & totally screw the Roosters.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad Slater is playing.. Rorters tried to buy a premiership with their unlimited cap and now lose their orchestrator for the big one

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
LMFAO
1) EVERYONE knew this was going to be the result before the game ended last week
2) So many fans have been screaming for the return of the Shoulder Charge and now Billy has got it for you.
3) Unless a player hits another player head on, Ie comes from the side, they cannot be charged for a shoulder charge anymore.

Quit ya bitchin' will ya's
I have been saying this for years - "Once the betting agencies run the game it is fukterated"
Billy for Daly M - MOM in GF and Churchill medal winner.
Reckon I can get 2 out of 3 here.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well we've had situations where Klemmer has gotten off worse for Origin.. possibly other players for big games as well.. so we shouldn't complain... people are making so much of this because it's Billy, when really there was fuck all in the tackle and I was surprised it was even a penalty

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting article by David Polkinghorne in the Sydney Morning Herald 26/9/2018 (note he covers sport in Canberra)

Just emphasises what a farce the decision was..

Slater decision leaves Tapine to shoulder the charge

Joe Tapine must be scratching his head and wondering why he missed two games for doing exactly what Billy Slater did.

I can picture the Canberra Raiders second-rower now, sitting on a beach on Koh Samui, getting a massage and sipping on a glass with a tiny umbrella in it.

"Why?" he asks no one in particular as his index finger rubs against the top of his head.

The simple answer, Joe, is you're not Slater and you weren't going to miss the grand final.

The NRL match review committee charged both with a grade-one shoulder charge - Tapine on St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty and Slater on Cronulla winger Sosaia Feki - yet one will play and the other didn't.

Advertisement
The only difference? Slater's a legend of the game and his suspension would mean an early retirement and missing the NRL decider - and a shot at winning back-to-back premierships.

That's it. Forget all the arguments about Feki changing direction, a Slater hand somewhere in the vicinity of the Sharks flyer and the fact Slater apparently ran at 33 kilometres per hour at training once.

They're all Chewbaccas. Or, for anyone who's never heard of South Park, red herrings.

The NRL judiciary panel simply cleared Slater because they didn't want to be the ones to kill Bambi.

I could make a similar case for Tapine to have been cleared with a couple of Chewbaccas of my own.

RELATED ARTICLE

NRL GRAND FINAL
Melbourne Storm’s Billy Slater free to play in NRL grand final
Tapine was left with no option but to bump Dufty once the Dragons fullback decided to kick.

Given the custodian no longer had the ball, the Kiwi international could no longer tackle Dufty or risk giving away a penalty.

Since contact was inevitable - let's say Tapine was once clocked doing 27km/h at training (not as fast as Slater but still reasonably brisk) - it left the Green Machine second rower with no option but to brace for impact.

Hence the shoulder-to-shoulder contact was simply Tapine protecting himself.

The defence rests. He's cleared. And now we can get stuck into the mini bar on our private jet home.

But there's one slight problem - I apologise in advance for being the grand final grinch - and that's the small matter of the rules.

If you look at the definition of a shoulder charge it's when a player doesn't use their arms or hands to tackle and they use force.

Tick and tick. Ditto for Tapine. Which is why they both should've been banned.

It doesn't matter that a grand final was at stake.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He doesn't deserve to miss the GF for a tackle that amounted to no serious injury .

I applaud the judiciary for being objective about the whole situation and not robotic or beauracratic..

Status
Not open for further replies.