Official Billy Johnstone

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to see his face around Belmore again, the man is a Bulldogs icon and absolute champion of a bloke! Johnstone and Folkes when in charge ran the joint with an iron fist and led by example, not like clubs and their staff these days. The Dogs have been missing that extra hard edge since those two men departed our walls!
Well said Pity,the guy deserves nothing but respect for all those years of great service
I would say his talks revolve around having pride in our jersey and not letting your mates down.
He would tackle all day long with no fear of taking down the big fellas

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
They should have more old boys around the club. Not in positions of power or nothing just involve em somehow idk ... Someone suggested Reni & Big Willie runnin the water for us the other day lol fkn oath

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should have more old boys around the club. Not in positions of power or nothing just involve em somehow idk ... Someone suggested Reni & Big Willie runnin the water for us the other day lol fkn oath
I wouldn’t trust big Willie on the field
probably pull off a tackle or cause an all in brawl

Berries

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
How much difference was 2004 to 2021? Players get injured even more now with this load management lol

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s like bringing a coach back from the 90’s and early 2000’s and expecting him to do the same job he did back then. He’s been out of the game for a while now and there’s been so many advances in sports science that I dont see the point in bringing him back. Looking at the players the conditioning and fitness staff have done a good job anyway.
What makes you so sure Billy hasn't been keeping up with trends etc?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What makes you so sure Billy hasn't been keeping up with trends etc?
It’s possible he has been but he hasn’t been in a top job since 2010 and decade is a very long time to away from something like that.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Souths snapped up Reni. He’s one of their SG Ball coaches.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Id say billy is giving the boys a speech during their camp

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah there was a good podcast by patten talking about how johnstone trained the doggies damn hard in those days, he made patten do 1 hour cardio then made him do bench press and patten couldnt even lift up the bar, how funny.

Now all you here from doggy development staff if you cant do a 3 minute plank, or six chin ups or cant run 1.2km in under 5 minutes you wont be selected and all this crap.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m all for him being involved in some way, speaking to the boys but I’m not that fussed if he’s got an official role. Haven’t we learnt from the last few years that just because someone was involved with us in the past doesn’t necessarily make them the best person for the job.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I know you boys says billy is old school, but anyone have any links to his training methodologies or programs/practices?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great to see Billy around the squad in any capacity. What he could offer the boys in terms of his experience, defence, toughness and training techniques could be invaluable.
His style of training may be “outdated” in the opinions of some. But he will impress upon them the importance of all round fitness and pushing themselves harder in the pursuit of success.
We lost quite a few games by a few points last year, Billy’s presence will ensure we are still fighting hard and fit enough to win those tough games.
Who knows, hopefully they’re gonna “bring back the biff” and Baz just wants us ahead of the game.lol.
Whatever the reason,I’m glad he’s there.He was part of our club during our most successful period,when we intimidated everyone and were dominated by no one, and the sooner the Bulldogs are that team again the better.