Billionaire Andrew Forrest behind Souths Sydney's bold bid to sign Greg Inglis

Status
Not open for further replies.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
South Sydney are about to celebrate the greatest signing coup in the club's history courtesy of a billionaire West Australian businessman.

Mining magnate Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest has emerged as the mystery man behind Souths' bid for NRL superstar Greg Inglis after frustrated Brisbane Broncos bosses withdrew their offer.

The Sunday Telegraph reported Forrest recently joined forces with Russell Crowe and Anthony Mundine to try to pull off the unbelievable coup.

"We have worked long and hard on these negotiations, as have the other parties," Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen said.

"But with training under way and no sign of the matter being resolved in a manner that would benefit the Broncos and their playing roster, it is time for the club to move on."

That leaves Souths in pole position to sign Inglis, although there could be late bids from other clubs with money to spare in the salary cap.

Forrest has offered Inglis more than $100,000 a year to act as an ambassador for Generation One, his public awareness campaign designed to encourage employers across the country to offer jobs to indigenous people.

The deal is exempt from the salary cap as third-party employment but is conditional on the Test and Origin champion playing for the Rabbitohs.

Other clubs, including Parramatta, Canterbury-Bankstown, the Warriors and Canberra Raiders could also enter a bidding war, but it's understood the Souths deal is over the line.

Forrest is one of Australia's most connected entrepreneurs. He has regular contact with James Packer, the Murdoch family, politicians and other leading corporate types.

It is believed he was introduced to the Rabbitohs through part-owner Peter Holmes a Court, an old Perth boy who still has an extensive network of contacts in the west.

Inglis spent Saturday with his fiancee in Brisbane, having originally been given a 24-hour deadline to sign with the Broncos. The ultimatum was delivered to his agent Alan Gainey as the Test centre weighed up the huge deal with Forrest on top of more than $300,000 Souths can pay him.

The Broncos deal fell over because of an unpaid $113,000 legal bill that has to be settled with the Melbourne Storm before he can be granted a release.

Brisbane refused to pay the bill because it would have put them over the salary cap, but Souths claim they can squeeze in Inglis on a back-ended deal.

How this could be achieved without having to shed another star player is the biggest talking point among rival clubs.

They are preparing to challenge NRL boss David Gallop and demand answers from salary cap auditor Ian Schubert if the deal goes ahead.

Mundine's role in the negotiations is also under the spotlight. The Sunday Telegraph reported he offered to pay the legal bill to get the clearance from the Storm, but the NRL ruled that any payment would still have to be included in the salary cap.

"It's clearly a payment that is going to get him to that club," Gallop said.

It's also believed Mundine has changed tack and offered to pay all legal expenses in a court action against Melbourne Storm over the disputed bill.

"Choc doesn't like seeing any of his brothers getting dudded," said a close friend of Inglis.

"He's vowed to back him to hilt."

What made matters more complicated for Inglis was the prospect of challenging the Storm over the legal fees if he played in Brisbane. That would have meant a News Limited employee suing a News Limited-owned club.

There was irony in Inglis returning to Brisbane to be with his fiancee because the Test centre only gained a release from the Storm on compassionate grounds after Sally Robinson was transferred to Queensland by her employers.

It's those original terms of release that has left the Storm club bewildered by a potential move to Sydney.

"We're just as confused as the rest of the marketplace," Storm CEO Ron Gauci said.

"It was on compassionate grounds (that the Storm offered to release Inglis.

"All of these admissions were agreed upon, and supposedly they're now reneging on those agreements.

"It's very confusing."

Source

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
wtf souths still have 300k to spare? Interesting

I dont get it, he couldnt join the broncos due to the 113k owing to melbourne. How would that change now if Souths get him? The 113k is still an issue unless Souths are gonna pay it lol?

S

Shermy

Rusty and Mundine will pay his legal expsenses. Regardless of who pays it it is included in the cap.

P

Paint.

So maybe they pay it and include that in their cap, but Forrest pays an extra 100k to Inglis to make up for it? :confused:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't care how much money some people have, you can't buy a victory, especially when theres a salary cap, a comp comes from champions with a lot of heart, you can train that into players.
Remember when Parra tried to buy a comp?

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
So how long till souths are exposed for salary cap rorts

parragirl01

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I hope to god Parra don't try and buy him. I noticed in the article it said Canterbury-Bankstown would join the bidding war. Surely its a piss take as you guys have already bought half the players in the NRL and if you're not already over the cap then you definitely shouldn't have a cent to spare.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny how Choc is involved to pay legal costs to get things happening, the Storm should pay all costs after what they did to the players, sneakiest buggers ever.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope to god Parra don't try and buy him. I noticed in the article it said Canterbury-Bankstown would join the bidding war. Surely its a piss take as you guys have already bought half the players in the NRL and if you're not already over the cap then you definitely shouldn't have a cent to spare.
Why do you think that? We let go of Kimmorley, Patten, Gordon, Hickey and Hannant. I don't know the exact salaries, but I'd say their salaries compensate, and possibly more than cover those of the new players keeping in mind Eastwood's contract money was kept aside when he went to Leeds.

We weren't a little bit over when clubs were fined mid-season either. I do doubt we will make a play for Inglis though.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
We have let go of something like over $1m talent...

parragirl01

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why do you think that? We let go of Kimmorley, Patten, Gordon, Hickey and Hannant. I don't know the exact salaries, but I'd say their salaries compensate, and possibly more than cover those of the new players keeping in mind Eastwood's contract money was kept aside when he went to Leeds.

We weren't a little bit over when clubs were fined mid-season either. I do doubt we will make a play for Inglis though.
Yeah but you bought: ( correct me if ive missed any)

Keating
Hodkinson
Pritchard
Lett
Wright
Millington
Tolman
Eastwood

The only three that would have come cheap would be Millington, Wright and Lett. The rest, especially Pritchard, would be on some good coin. Anything more and i think you guys would be over. This is just me estimating obviously i dont know the exact figures of each player but im just making a judgment call on this one.

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
Yeah but you bought: ( correct me if ive missed any)

Keating
Hodkinson
Pritchard
Lett
Wright
Millington
Tolman
Eastwood

The only three that would have come cheap would be Millington, Wright and Lett. The rest, especially Pritchard, would be on some good coin. Anything more and i think you guys would be over. This is just me estimating obviously i dont know the exact figures of each player but im just making a judgment call on this one.
But like the rest of us, you don't have the exact figures on your hand.

parragirl01

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
But like the rest of us, you don't have the exact figures on your hand.
Yeah that's what i said. But if you guys seriously made a play for Inglis and could purchase him then i wouldn't need to know the exact figures as you would definitely be pulling a 2002.

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
Yeah that's what i said. But if you guys seriously made a play for Inglis and could purchase him then i wouldn't need to know the exact figures as you would definitely be pulling a 2002.
Should had figured out by now that the newspaper links the bulldogs to every single player on the market.

parragirl01

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Should had figured out by now that the newspaper links the bulldogs to every single player on the market.
lol i support Parra so dw i understand ! We've been linked to anyone that has kicked a ball in their lifetime, even if it was only the one time . So yeah i know its probably a media beat up, which is why i stated if you guys seriously made a bid for them. Don't think you will though.

S

Shermy

As of tonight he has officially given his word to Souths. He did that to the Broncos too ;) He will sign the deal this week. I think it is a 3 year deal with an option for a 4th year in Inglis' favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.