Big year for Meaney and Lewis ahead

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Circumstance has dictates that Lewis and Meaney will likely retain their starting spots early next year.

It's make or break.

Both have shown glimpses of absolute world class brilliance, and at other times their weaknesses found out.

They are both in year three (and a bit) of their tenure next year and the status quo as is would suggest they are finished.
They have the hope of a new coach coming in who can do something but if they don't step up they have no more excuses.
4 years would be too long for a development of players in the modern game. 2 years max. Penrith, Sterling and Cronulla have shown you don't need long to hit your straps if you have the good stuff to make it in the NRL.
The first 14 games is absolute make or break for them. At round 14, their cards will be marked if they aaren't up to it. Barrett will start the recruitment elsewhere with their contract money. Nasheed.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Circumstance has dictates that Lewis and Meaney will likely retain their starting spots early next year.

It's make or break.

Both have shown glimpses of absolute world class brilliance, and at other times their weaknesses found out.

They are both in year three (and a bit) of their tenure next year and the status quo as is would suggest they are finished.
They have the hope of a new coach coming in who can do something but if they don't step up they have no more excuses.
4 years would be too long for a development of players in the modern game. 2 years max. Penrith, Sterling and Cronulla have shown you don't need long to hit your straps if you have the good stuff to make it in the NRL.
The first 14 games is absolute make or break for them. At round 14, their cards will be marked if they aaren't up to it. Barrett will start the recruitment elsewhere with their contract money. Nasheed.
Don’t you think that could be said for most of our players off contract next year? There is a bit of a clean out going on right now but could even bigger at the end of next year.

Last edited:

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

It's make or break.

Bulldogs fan here: first thing you ever said that I ageee. Well done nashy!

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

It's make or break.

I do like some of the stuff you say. This is one. Personally I like these 2 guys and I Hope TB can get the most out of them... For our sake...

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh but these two are you and show that they have some ability.
Don’t you think that could be said for most of players off contract next year? There is a bit of a clean out going on right now but could even bigger at the end of next year.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you mean Renouf To omaga then yes he could be our future but needs to improve.
True and I hope Ogden makes it I can see lots in him. Renouf? Do you mean some one else?

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney needs a little bit of ‘bulk’ without losing that blinding speed. His goal kicking is def an asset. Lewis is a little too ‘one dimensional’ needs to play quicker
Teams rush him and he struggles with the impact
Barrett being a half May get him to play a little deeper of make him quicker between the ears on the field

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I like Meaney I know most harped on about him needing to play fullback me included. However I really think his best position with our current team composition would be on the wing outside Cotric. Time will tell I guess

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Don’t you think that could be said for most of our players off contract next year? There is a bit of a clean out going on right now but could even bigger at the end of next year.
I think the difference is Meaney and Lewis are somehow still an unknown quantity. They show enough to make you wonder how high their ceiling is.
Look at Meaney. In two years he could be Ryan Papenhuyzen like. I could see it. I could also see him being the next Jake Mamo and being the star signing for the Huddersfield giants. I just can't tell. I need to see him with a coach who believes in him and tells him when to inject his hot beef into the backline and to back up.

Lewis the same thing. Has an excellent kicking game. And even better tackling game and knows how to throw a pass. But boy oh boy doesn't he have an error or two in him.
He may even reinvent himself as a tackling machine. Again, hard to tell.

Compare that to Flopoate for instance.
Next year you know what you're going to get.
A guy that doesn't miss many tackles, will show some slick hands in passing to the winger, and will move like a turtle and is one step away from other teams figuring out they could run around him and bust holes through lateral movement (hence why I want to sell him before teams get woke to this).
He's a known quantity is what I'm saying.

Meaney and Lewis are the ones that could surprise us with superstardom or baffle us with crap.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
How can you say Meaney will ‘retain his spot’ when he was clearly dropped for the last 2 games? The incumbents in the back 3 are Hoppa, Okunbor & DWZ.
Hey wild child,
It's a given Hoppa goes to centres, otherwise who else will be there now that Holland has retired and Lafai/Montoya cut.
Not to mention Hoppa hasn't got the legs for it.

Meaney will almost certainly be starting FB. Look at Penrith, dripping in speed at the back. You'd think that as partly Barrett design.