News Big Roy back in the kennel ..

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right…. He should have stayed and played for peanuts.

Can’t blame him for leaving. The club had cap pressure and had to let some players go. It’s a shame we didn’t keep him because Mason was gone soon after, anyway.

Also, Souths have a great jersey. A proud jersey with a lot of history. If I had to play for snother club, I’d want it to be souths.
Id never blamed him for leaving, learn to read flange!

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never played competitive team sport at any sort of elite level, so I of course couldn't claim to be an expert on well, anything much, but i see people get all excited about ex players joining up for whatever and TBH, I need to know more about HOW they will be contributing towards our next premiership other than "it will be great to have them around the boys".
I think the key to bringing ex players in and getting value is rather than talking to a large playing group which the coaches do anyway, they essentially adopt a number of younger lower grade and junior players and work with them in a mentoring capacity. That way it becomes something a little more valuable to those players and more appreciated while they establish themselves. The experienced guys are more likely to ignore or question some of the advice as being outdated or simplistic anyway.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Id never blamed him for leaving, learn to read flange!
He should have never left (as opposed to we should have never let him leave). That kinda implies fault rests with Roy… but ok, I get that wasn’t your intention.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Read this earlier, no one had posted so was going to but left it for someone else. Great to see, loved watching Roy in the blue and white !! :grinning:

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right…. He should have stayed and played for peanuts.

Can’t blame him for leaving. The club had cap pressure and had to let some players go. It’s a shame we didn’t keep him because Mason was gone soon after, anyway.

Also, Souths have a great jersey. A proud jersey with a lot of history. If I had to play for snother club, I’d want it to be souths.
Most of what you said I agree. But Fuck souffs and the toofless bandwagon they rode in on.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Retired players mentoring the younger players is extremely important, they can help them avoid the pitfalls and there are a lot of them, that other players have fallen into. They can also guide them through their down times, lift them up when they need lifting up, getting over losses and not over celebrating wins. A lot of players don't make it to the NRL even if they have the talent to, even more make it and then quickly fade away to obscurity even though they shouldn't. There are countless reasons why this happens, such as family pressures, that's what the team welfare officer looks after. There are physical reasons, that's what the medical staff look after. There are mental reasons, handling the every day pressures of being an NRL player, which the retired players can often help with. Younger players look up to their predecessors and will often listen to them, because their experiences are relatable to them, they have been there and done that.

The retired player doesn't have to have been from the same club, although it often helps as they know the other staff, know the team culture, even the physical environment surrounding them every day. It's about selecting the right ex players to help the current playing group, not necessarily what team that player played for. There are 40+ players on the roster, so a club needs more than 1 ex player to work around the group effectively. Plus having multiple ex players with different experiences and personalities makes it easier to align the best ex player with the right current player/s.

Best of all ex players as mentors are not included in the Salary Cap, so the more the merrier.

Always a Bulldog

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
View attachment 61848

Old news but good news …

FORMER BULLDOG RETURNS TO CLUB

Roy Asotasi has returned to he Bulldogs — the club he won the 2004 NRL premiership with.

According to WWOS, Asotasi has joined the Bulldogs’ staff part-time in a mentoring role.

The former New Zealand captain first joined the club as a player in 2002 and played 84 games

Following his time at the Dogs, Asotasi moved to the Rabbitohs where he became co-captain of the club, holding onto the title until he left following the 2013 season.

“He made a guest appearance this week and the young guys were in raptures over him,” Bulldogs boss Gould told WWOS.

“He said he’d like to help mentor kids in our Academy program.

“The more the merrier. You can never have too many good people in your football club and it’s great to have him on board.”

Man this bloke was a weapon … hope he’s working with Pele ..

Another one we should never have let go of ..
Wish we would go back to this jersey design for once. Would be a good time to do it with some many of the 04 crew on board.