`Big Red' to be unleashed from Titans bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrCharisma

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By Pat McLeod

The Gold Coast Titans are about to unleash 'Big Red' back into the National Rugby League.

Off the Australian scene since 2004 Brad Meyers is set to be part of the Titans team to take on the Panthers at Penrith on Sunday.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright yesterday named an extended 18-man squad that includes Meyers, however the red-headed, former international is expected to make his debut for the Titans off the bench.

The inclusion of Meyers, possibly at the expense of utility Josh Graham, is the only change to the side beaten 22-6 by the Bulldogs in Sydney last weekend.

Cartwright will not finalise his 17 until Friday with injury concerns hovering over Matt Hilder (shoulder), Jake Webster (knee) and Scott Prince (ankle).

However he did hint at a change to the starting 13. Although Cartwright would not be drawn on this, there is a strong push for the elevation of second rower Mark Minichiello from the bench.

At this stage the Coast's backline is unchanged with Cartwright resisting the temptation to rush injured points machine Chris Walker back into the team.

Meyers' introduction into the Gold Coast's rookie season has been delayed because of an ankle injury, however the power running former international is eager to create mid-field havoc on return.

"I just can't wait to get back," he said yesterday.

"I didn't come back to play Queensland Cup. The whole aim was to come back and play NRL and enjoy it this time around."

The Titans pack has not lacked commitment in their three outings so far this season but Cartwright will not be disappointed in the size and grunt that Meyers will add up front for the Coast.

The 186cm, 101kg forward burst on to the representative scene in only his second season in top grade for the Broncos in 2001.

For Brisbane, Queensland and Australia he hurt opposition defences with storming runs on the edge of the ruck.

After spending two seasons in England Meyers is determined to re-establish his reputation as one of the most damaging attacking forwards.

However he says this time around his aim is to enjoy his football more.

"I think maybe I put too much pressure on myself," he says of his later years with the Broncos, which did not live up to the early promise.

"Instead of doing the little things right on the field I was worried about everything."

Meyers came back from injury with a strong 60-minute stint on Sunday in the Queensland Cup with the Ipswich Jets, who are coached by former Bronco teammate Kevvie Walters.

Meyers said he was concerned about his ankle but came through untroubled.

Titans coaching staff have dismissed claims that their pack is too small.

Titans assistant coach Trevor Gillmeister says Meyers call-up was not because of his size, but because of other attributes he will bring to the squad.

"Size is not an issue for us. Turning the ball over has been," said Gillmeister.

Gold Copast Bulletin
[/FONT]

M

MrCharisma

BAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

'Big Red' and 'unleashed' shouldn't be used in the same sentence

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
How the did he play SOO and for Aus?

I remember him and tbh. He was about as usefull as dogs balls on a cat.

M

MrCharisma

How the did he play SOO and for Aus?

I remember him and tbh. He was about as usefull as dogs balls on a cat.
I think the proper expression is "tits on a bull" but i'll happily accept that. I didn't even remember him playing SOO.

Must have been in that period where Phil Bailey played for Australia :p

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Wayne Bennett was the coach at the time but tbh im not sure

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
I think the proper expression is "tits on a bull" but i'll happily accept that. I didn't even remember him playing SOO.

Must have been in that period where Phil Bailey played for Australia :p
LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.