Big League Wrap - Mick Ennis nailed it on the head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It would also help if our forwards would actually run onto the ball..and Lichaa's passing can't be used as an excuse for that, they train together almost every day and should be able to get the timing right after spending so much time together. We're just a very static team team.
Marley my eyes aren't as young as they use to be and for a moment there I read your "We're just a very static team" as We're just a very spastic team. Lol other than that I agree with you. :grinning:

DublinDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This kid would be better than Lichaa at this stage....

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Watch the roosters game again and take off your hate filled Lichaa glasses off for a second..

Yes he had a shit game but.....

Our forwards were always put onto their backs and took forever to play the ball. In those situations not even Cook or Smith could have darted from dummy half not even Usain Bolt could have done a better job.
When our backs brought it up out of our zone they made massive meters, because of their quick play the ball which allowed the next back to go for a quick dart.
Listen to Damian cook interview, he specifically mentioned how he was able to make those runs on the back of quick play the balls by the forwards.
You can replace lichaa with any other hooker and they wont be able to make inroads unless our forwards learn to show more urgency

Dogschat

Waterboy
Reaction score
Blind Freddy can see that the main problem is Lichaa. If he doesn't somehow drastically improve or get dropped, we are going to continue to be unsuccessful.
Blind Freddy is indeed blind. Hands off lichaa he is one of a few trying in attack and gives us good go forward. Dogs real issue appears lack of motivation and fitness to back up and take advantage of potential offloads. Not so funny the team that has had the best exponent of this ON hand in Terry Lamb is now the NRL's worst in execution.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blind Freddy is indeed blind. Hands off lichaa he is one of a few trying in attack and gives us good go forward. Dogs real issue appears lack of motivation and fitness to back up and take advantage of potential offloads. Not so funny the team that has had the best exponent of this ON hand in Terry Lamb is now the NRL's worst in execution.
Lichaa can't do the simple thing that most 9s can do... That is, pick the ball up and pass. He always has to hold the ball for 1 or 2 seconds and crab sideways first before passing. It allows the defense too much time to come forward and by the time our halves and backs get the ball they have no space to create any attack in a forward moving motion. Hence why they too play lateral in frustration trying to create something. Its always been the way since Lichaa came into the side its just that it has got progressively worse. It frustrates the hell out of the halves.. you only need to recall Reynolds and Mybe on field sprays at him last year for proof of this. There are a number of changes required BUT this is the most important and needs to be addressed ASAP.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Lichaa is the major problem with the team.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes licha is a major problem and I would like someone else to take his spot. But we have other issues also. Forwards are going forward and yes some play the balls are slow etc... but that doesn’t excuse the fact that this team has a IQ OF 0. we did have some really good sets against the roosters and some in there 10m zone. We just have no direction. Foran never took charge, Marshall done some stupid step into 3 defenders all the time hoping all 3 defenders just fall off him, our forwards ran straight into set defence lines also hoping it would just open up like Moses opened up the sea.

This team is playing on nothing but hope and foran isn’t taking control of the team. Once he directs set plays and controls our team then we will seee some points. Isn’t that why we got him in the first place.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Foran went missing against the roosters. its his job to run the team as the halfback but what was he doing? JMK had twice as many touches. He had a very poor game.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
woods and klemmer were very good look at the yardage and I didn't notice them being put on their backs all game

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lichaa can't do the simple thing that most 9s can do... That is, pick the ball up and pass. He always has to hold the ball for 1 or 2 seconds and crab sideways first before passing. It allows the defense too much time to come forward and by the time our halves and backs get the ball they have no space to create any attack in a forward moving motion. Hence why they too play lateral in frustration trying to create something. Its always been the way since Lichaa came into the side its just that it has got progressively worse. It frustrates the hell out of the halves.. you only need to recall Reynolds and Mybe on field sprays at him last year for proof of this. There are a number of changes required BUT this is the most important and needs to be addressed ASAP.
So that is our main problem. Fuck u guys have no idea...
No 5/8
Shit fullback
Elliot at lock
Slow fucking play the balls
No direction
Shit montoya/hoppa defense
I can keep going with our team issues

Yet lichaa not passing the ball so quickly from dummy half is our main problem..

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He kills all play with his clunkiness.
We literally had the perfect antidote in Cook and we let him go willingly.
Wow well done your first proper and sensible post. Keep up the good work nash

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depth in attack might work if the ball was being distributed with well timed passes. But if our forwards don't adjust their runs (read this as slow down to jogging pace) to the ball distribution they will over-run the pass. There have been times when we have tried playing with depth and it worked no better han with a shallow attacking line. I've seen Foran get smashed after having to turn and reach a foot behind where his run was because Lichaa passed to where he was, not where he will be. Last year I saw both our halves yell at Lichaa for witholding passes or sending them shit passes when attacking plays were on.

As much as I was willing to give Lichaa another chance this year, his passing game needs some serious work before he steps back onto the field at NRL level. I was optimistic that maybe between Nu Browne or Woolford we would have a ready made back up hooker this year. But Browne hasn't shone and Woolford seemingly is still missing after his jaw surgery. I'd also hoped that maybe the critics who blamed Hasler for Lichaa's shortcomings were right and that Lichaa with added confidence he'd get the ball service right. But the commentators have spouted praise on Lichaa for his running game and I'm afraid that either Pay is just not seeing an issue with him nd instructing him to improve, or that Pay lacks faith in the potential replacements for Lichaa. Alternatively Lichaa might just be buying into the praise that some commentators have thrown his way and adopting the attitude that he doesn't need to improve. I'm just keen to see someone else tried at hooker. It certainly can't hurt our form.
Depth with players in motion is 100% the best option for any attacking structure.

The biggest issue with playing with depth is you need to be super fit. Players have to cover so much more ground going back and forth. We look unfit playing flat so I don’t think we can pull it off.

We need quick play the balls with good sharp service from dummy half. Be ready to support second phase play.

Foran needs to run the side as a dominant half. He cannot hide on the right. He is the Only organising half in the club.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So that is our main problem. Fuck u guys have no idea...
No 5/8
Shit fullback
Elliot at lock
Slow fucking play the balls
No direction
Shit montoya/hoppa defense
I can keep going with our team issues

Yet lichaa not passing the ball so quickly from dummy half is our main problem..
Yes Lichaa is our #1 problem and has been for years. Not saying he is a bad person at all. Its his style that doesn't suit the modern-day game.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I remember a few quick play the balls from woods only, he never got his foot to the ball though haha and one was penalised. I also never see anyone really run in formation with Lichaa when he does run the ball, the defence doesn't have to make quick decisions because 3 or more players are running at them in position to receive a short ball from dummy half. He might be lucky and get one to run with him sometimes.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Watching Foran against the Roosters, I think he was a bit hamstrung by JMK,s passing game. He doesnt seem to know when to pass and when to kick.
And when he does one or the other, it's usually wrong.
We need a running half who will compliment Foran.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He is definitely capable of making good runs but he hardly ever does it. He passes really slow and often passes to the wrong people. That is his main job and he sucks at it.

We were all blinded by his last 3 games last year where he ran amok, and now we are all paying the price of that bamboozle.
He obviously played well for a contract.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
He obviously played well for a contract.
Seems that way, or he has some mental disorder that interferes with brain communicating with his body when he has a contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.