Big League Wrap - Mick Ennis nailed it on the head

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMac15

Waterboy
Reaction score
My first topic kennelers so go easy.

I've been saying our play the ball has been too slow all year and he nailed it on the head on the show tonight. Our attack is ineffective with a defence line set.

Our plays aren't coming off because of this, but in saying that we have to be more creative. All the good sides are scoring points on the back of their quick play the balls.

What do you all think?

JMac15

Waterboy
Reaction score
Blind Freddy can see that the main problem is Lichaa. If he doesn't somehow drastically improve or get dropped, we are going to continue to be unsuccessful.
Agreed his service needs to be better but he's made some good runs from dummy half. But if the ball is played too slow we cannot take advantage of a retreating defence in attack.

On top of that get out of our own half and put in an attacking kick on the last tackle.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
our problem for last 4 years barring the last 3 games of the last season.

Mick Ennis is not rocket scientist but this forum will crucify him for stating the obvious.

JMac15

Waterboy
Reaction score
I wouldn't say the last 4 years cause we made the GF in 14. He's not a rocket scientist but the first to say it out of the bunch of so called league experts.

Most blamed the lack of attacking creativity, which is correct, but all the good teams are a second or more better playing the ball than us.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Agreed his service needs to be better but he's made some good runs from dummy half. But if the ball is played too slow we cannot take advantage of a retreating defence in attack.

On top of that get out of our own half and put in an attacking kick on the last tackle.
He is definitely capable of making good runs but he hardly ever does it. He passes really slow and often passes to the wrong people. That is his main job and he sucks at it.

We were all blinded by his last 3 games last year where he ran amok, and now we are all paying the price of that bamboozle.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
25 years ago at training we were practicing spin (spiral) passing from both sides. Blows my mind seeing players who can't spin (spiral lol) pass from both sides in this modern era without jobs. If I was Lichaa I would be doing extras after every training practicing his passing and from the ground. I think he needs to lose 5kgs too, doesn't look as agile with the extra size. He needs to be sharp. That said, I don't know if that would be enough to save him. Surely Pay is considering doing something there.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's a problem but it's not our only one. Our attacking structures are shithouse, it's not like were not executing well because of preasure or anything, we just aren't doing enough.

Klemmers play the balls have become frustratingly slow over time, he looks like he focuses way too much on getting post contact metres instead of pushing away from defenders and getting himself into a good position to play the ball. Woods atleast stands in the tackle at times and manages to get a play the ball away with markers out of position.

JMac15

Waterboy
Reaction score
It's a problem but it's not our only one. Our attacking structures are shithouse, it's not like were not executing well because of preasure or anything, we just aren't doing enough.

Klemmers play the balls have become frustratingly slow over time, he looks like he focuses way too much on getting post contact metres instead of pushing away from defenders and getting himself into a good position to play the ball. Woods atleast stands in the tackle at times and manages to get a play the ball away with markers out of position.
Yes but it would look a whole lot better with space than a set defensive line.

But yes, he is one culprit the others are Montoya, Mybe, Hoppa.

Lichaa needs to just pass straight out of dummy half when we have a slow play the ball not take that 1 or 2 steps he's been doing. The forwards barely make 5 metres when he does that and it kills our sets.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yes but it would look a whole lot better with space than a set defensive line.

But yes, he is one culprit the others are Montoya, Mybe, Hoppa.

Lichaa needs to just pass straight out of dummy half when we have a slow play the ball not take that 1 or 2 steps he's been doing. The forwards barely make 5 metres when he does that and it kills our sets.
It would also help if our forwards would actually run onto the ball..and Lichaa's passing can't be used as an excuse for that, they train together almost every day and should be able to get the timing right after spending so much time together. We're just a very static team team.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first topic kennelers so go easy.

I've been saying our play the ball has been too slow all year and he nailed it on the head on the show tonight. Our attack is ineffective with a defence line set.

Our plays aren't coming off because of this, but in saying that we have to be more creative. All the good sides are scoring points on the back of their quick play the balls.

What do you all think?
We have slow play the balls and slow service from DH to compound the problem, it's virtually impossible to be affective against a set line.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Klem is over focused on kicking out and drawing a penalty! Never works yet he still persists and slows the play the ball even more

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
25 years ago at training we were practicing spin passing from both sides. Blows my mind seeing players who can't spin pass from both sides in this modern era without jobs. If I was Lichaa I would be doing extras after every training practicing his passing and from the ground. I think he needs to lose 5kgs too, doesn't look as agile with the extra size. He needs to be sharp. That said, I don't know if that would be enough to save him. Surely Pay is considering doing something there.
Lol grog dog don’t u mean spiral pass both ways not spin passing
Lichaa is a joke and shouldn’t be in fg anymore

Reactions: DT

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Even if the defensive line is set you can grubber in behind. When was the last time we grubber kicked for a winger?? 2012 with Barba maybe LOL

RFM is the only one who runs good lines. We only have one strike weapon close to the line in the forwards department. And to top it all off, Foran was camped on the otherside of the field and did not link with RFM.

Shades of Desball

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Lol grog dog don’t u mean spiral pass both ways not spin passing
Lichaa is a joke and shouldn’t be in fg anymore
Yeah that's it spiral! Goes to show how long ago I use to do it and proves my point haha

Reactions: DT

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Blind Freddy can see that the main problem is Lichaa. If he doesn't somehow drastically improve or get dropped, we are going to continue to be unsuccessful.
He kills all play with his clunkiness.
We literally had the perfect antidote in Cook and we let him go willingly.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is everything that's wrong with our attack. Fix that and the points start coming.

If the players can't do that, drop them for ones that can.

View attachment 5702
Depth in attack might work if the ball was being distributed with well timed passes. But if our forwards don't adjust their runs (read this as slow down to jogging pace) to the ball distribution they will over-run the pass. There have been times when we have tried playing with depth and it worked no better han with a shallow attacking line. I've seen Foran get smashed after having to turn and reach a foot behind where his run was because Lichaa passed to where he was, not where he will be. Last year I saw both our halves yell at Lichaa for witholding passes or sending them shit passes when attacking plays were on.

As much as I was willing to give Lichaa another chance this year, his passing game needs some serious work before he steps back onto the field at NRL level. I was optimistic that maybe between Nu Browne or Woolford we would have a ready made back up hooker this year. But Browne hasn't shone and Woolford seemingly is still missing after his jaw surgery. I'd also hoped that maybe the critics who blamed Hasler for Lichaa's shortcomings were right and that Lichaa with added confidence he'd get the ball service right. But the commentators have spouted praise on Lichaa for his running game and I'm afraid that either Pay is just not seeing an issue with him nd instructing him to improve, or that Pay lacks faith in the potential replacements for Lichaa. Alternatively Lichaa might just be buying into the praise that some commentators have thrown his way and adopting the attitude that he doesn't need to improve. I'm just keen to see someone else tried at hooker. It certainly can't hurt our form.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've wanted Lichaa gone since 2016 but was optimistic like most when he played those last games defying Hasler and had a pretty good stint in the world cup but he needs to replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.