Opinion Big league magazine

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to my local newsagent to get my big league and they said they don’t publish it any more I can understand for last year .but i among others enjoy reading about the other grades the stats etc I liked seeing who was playing on what grade and seeing who I played with and against still playing in what ever grade.
To summarise I’m pretty disappointed they dont publish and should they bring it back again.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they stopped making it a couple of years ago?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I used to buy a couple of League magazines religiously when I was a student. But the rise of plenty of news sites online and forums really meant that I didn't have too much need to anymore. Most of the articles related to our club got posted in here anyway and team lists were just as easy to come by on the clubs official website. I can understand why some people that were interested in the results from numerous other tiers of the competition or regional rugby league would be sad to see these magazines go. And to an extent I also find it a bit sad as they tended to have more integrity than a lot of the click bait sites that will spread rumour and feed on any negative headline they can make.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rugby League Week stopped being published in 2017. Big League being cancelled was only a matter of time as it's a Murdoch publication and he hates League.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rugby League Week stopped being published in 2017. Big League being cancelled was only a matter of time as it's a Murdoch publication and he hates League.
Actually the killing of Big League was a Peter Vlandys decision to cut costs due to COVID.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anybody who wants an e-program can get one here:

They actually printed 11 issues last year including the Origin series & GF.

If you are unhappy, I suggest people ring the NRL & say they aren't going to the game because there isn't a program. I'm going to do it later today. It may not do anything but if you don't tell them, they won't care at all.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anybody who wants an e-program can get one here:

They actually printed 11 issues last year including the Origin series & GF.

If you are unhappy, I suggest people ring the NRL & say they aren't going to the game because there isn't a program. I'm going to do it later today. It may not do anything but if you don't tell them, they won't care at all.
When I called them they said they were not going to continue to produce it. I said that I have been going to the footy for forty years & the program is an integral part of the game experience & I won't be attending without one.

Their number is 02 9359 8500.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I follow the old editor on Twitter so I knew Big League was gone forever because she said she got made redundant and her job was gone. Very sad stuff.

Not that I ever bought it though >.>

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Coinciding with the demise of Big League, there seems to be a general lack of NRL related publications in newsagents, at all. I've spent a number of weeks looking around various Sydney newsagents and found none so far. At the same time, I have seen at least three different AFL 2021 type large glossy season guides. As much as all the info may be available online, a lot of people still like to own and collect annuals, season guides, Grand Final programs, weekly programs etc. I note David Middleton's annual for last year has only become recently available by mail order. There is probably a market out there for some enterprising publisher to fill a gap in lack of NRL printed matter.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Coinciding with the demise of Big League, there seems to be a general lack of NRL related publications in newsagents, at all. I've spent a number of weeks looking around various Sydney newsagents and found none so far. At the same time, I have seen at least three different AFL 2021 type large glossy season guides. As much as all the info may be available online, a lot of people still like to own and collect annuals, season guides, Grand Final programs, weekly programs etc. I note David Middleton's annual for last year has only become recently available by mail order. There is probably a market out there for some enterprising publisher to fill a gap in lack of NRL printed matter.
The only magazine I am aware of is Rugby League Review

It's done by Terry Liberopoulos who started with Rugby League Gazette in the 90s & then went n with Ian Collis to create I & T Stats. They started the stats for Big League in 2000 & I am sure they did it for Super League as well.

This magazine is a focus of RL throughout the World not just Australia.