big earthquake png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There are a bunch of workers from PNG where I work. I hope none of them have family affected. They're lovely people. I hope the population goes mostly unscathed through this.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Wow... 8 on the richter scale... that's a big one.

Why is it the most stunning of islands cop the worst natural disasters? Fiji cops cyclones every year almost, Tonga/Samoa have copped similar, and now PNG..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Why is it the most stunning of islands cop the worst natural disasters? Fiji cops cyclones every year almost, Tonga/Samoa have copped similar, and now PNG..
A lot of the islands were formed volcanically near the edge of tectonic plates. The plates are still moving so I think because they're close to the edges of the plates they're nearby when two plates grind against each other and cop severe quakes.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hope damage and deaths/injuries are kept to a minimum.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Ironic isn't it?
Plate tectonics is the reason these places are as stunning as they are. Huge mountains, volcanos, fertile soil. These islands wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the very forces that are now threatening them.
Hope everyone's ok.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was a big one. Didnt really feel it here on the main island but mostly around the outter islands..fortunately there was no tsunami.

Status
Not open for further replies.