Best PVR/DVD recorder combo??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Seriously, theres too many products on the market

What the best unit to get to record tv, Ive heard good things about topfield

Is it best to wait until blu ray recorders are more common? (heard the panasonic one is not that good)

Or just a combo of a few things

I like to hear the different opinions on this

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry boss. Just realised this thread was about

Panasonic make some very good products when it comes to this. Avoid LG - there tv's are about their only good source of product atm.

Are you looking for a DVR or a DVR and VHS recorder? And who said Panasonics arent that great? I've heard nothing but good.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im talking about their blu ray recorders, their the only one on the market atm, but Sony should be coming up with something soon

The time shifting thing isnt that good Ive heard, plus its pretty expensive. Not too sure about their other products

Basically Im looking for a DVR with a decent HDD, USB expandable memory, can play most formats, twin tuner, time shifting, HD

But they dont all record foxtel

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Also, what are the advantages of a DVD recorder over a dvr, and vice verca

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
i think basically the difference between them is that DVR can record live tv and also pause tv.

DVD recorder - works like the old VHS recording style

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
The biggest difference between a DVD with recording capability and a DVR is:

A DVR uses a Hard Disk Recorder (HDR) to digitally record movies and television shows from your TV to a hard disk (like the one in your home computer). DVRs record in real-time, which allow you to pause or rewind at any point in the program.

A DVD recorder records to discs and not a hard drive like DVR. A disc has limited storage capacity compared to a DVR. It doesn�t have a hard drive or �real-time� recording capability.
There are some DVRs that have built in DVD recorders. Some allow you to burn DVDs while you watch and record television shows and movies on your DVR or simply burn saved shows to your DVD to free up space on your DVR. Check with your local electronics store to see which brand would best suit your needs.

wikianswers

lol i was a little off

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah you were - that basically explains it

I think its a bit early looking for blu ray recorders. Like anything else, only few major companies make such a product. The few that did - the RRP started at 1,999. Wait till a few competitors jump on the back and they should drop to at least half that price.

Ill speak to my Sony rep today as to when they are bringing out the Blu Ray player. Ill get back to you on that. Otherwise - there isnt a world of difference in teh current state. Some of the new Pana's have wireless connection - so you can youtube off it. But they really only sync well with other Panasonic product. But their capabilities are pretty good.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
wikianswers

lol i was a little off

That must be old, because I know the panasonic dvd recorders can pause live tv now.

Thanks JB, I have been looking around and I think I might get a tivo. Not the Australian one, but the american one with a few modifications to suit us. I think it's called oztivo.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nah, still looking.

I usually change my mind alot when deciding on things like this, so it takes me a while

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah - im like that as well

I have fully decided now. Im going for the Sony W series. If my room was bigger though - i would go for the 40Z. The latest release of the 40Z is fking immaculate

Status
Not open for further replies.