Best places to get a “Add the cuisine” in a Australia

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I was going to keep it Sydney but we have people from all over Australia so make it Australia or duck it if really want show of where you have been around the world and tell us if it’s better in its country of origin. For example kebabs from Auburn were heaps better than the one you had in Turkey or vice verser.

But yeah give us your best food recommendations for a specific cuisine whatever it is Best Kebab or best burger or best or best Schmitt or vegetarian restaurant or even best Butcher or Fruit Shop or Deli (I named this as examples because I would like to know some as I don’t really have favourites)

for me:

Pizza - La Disfida Haberfield or Postcards from Naplals - Oatley or fuck it I’m already breaking my rules Scarfos - Dulwich Hill (by the way our pizza is better in Australia then it is in Naples

Pho - Pho Sun in Marrickville

Bahn Mi - Alex N Rolls - Marrickville

Best (Turkish restaurant but it’s not strictly Turkish) Restaurant - Pazar - Canterbury

Best Yum Cha - The Chinese Restaurant inside Canterbury Leagues called Dragon something or other

Best Portuguese burger - Ogalo - Marrickville

Best Pie - St Honor Bakery - North Sydney

Best Fish and Chips - Bottom of the Harbour - Balmoral Beach

Best Mexican - Rosa Centafuegos. Dulwich Hill

Dont have a fav in Sydney but I believe Thai is better in Australia as well..

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be biased, but we have some of the best quality food I've tasted anywhere in the world and that quality has improved consistently over decades. I remember the only thing you could get at the pub was mixed grill and the meat was anything but quality. You'd have to go a long way to get a really crap meal at a pub or cafe or restaurant these days as word of mouth travels so much faster and gets heard by so many more.

Where we do fall behind a lot on overseas is the service. If we matched our food quality with service quality it'd hard to go anywhere but here.

The best gravy and chips I have ever tasted was from a road side caravan in Phillip ACT coming back from a game in Sydney. I arrived back about 1am and was starving, saw this open, stopped and indulged. I kept going back and even took the wife for a feed (anniversary) and he told me he put Vegemite in his gravy but wouldn't say how much. He's closed now and I've never been able to re-create that taste.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Best Pizza - tie: Macini's in Belfield, or Rene's in Croydon Park

Best Sushi - Sushi Club, Pyrmont

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Best yum cha - Vin Phat Cabramatta

Best kebab - brothers Bankstown or Istanbul Parramatta

Best Asian seafood - golden century or golden king 2000 (if you want local and cheaper)

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Lolli Resini - Orange - Best fucking Mashed Potato I’ve ever tasted.. I called it cracktatoe

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the best laksa Malay Chinese Takeaway on Hunter St Sydney

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Worst food - Parramatta Leagues

Seriously. We go there when the Wanderers are playing and it's absolute trash. There is not one good dish in the entire place. And they have about 6 restaurants.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Worst food - Parramatta Leagues

Seriously. We go there when the Wanderers are playing and it's absolute trash. There is not one good dish in the entire place. And they have about 6 restaurants.
Go to the new RSL. Decent food

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I may be biased, but we have some of the best quality food I've tasted anywhere in the world and that quality has improved consistently over decades. I remember the only thing you could get at the pub was mixed grill and the meat was anything but quality. You'd have to go a long way to get a really crap meal at a pub or cafe or restaurant these days as word of mouth travels so much faster and gets heard by so many more.

Where we do fall behind a lot on overseas is the service. If we matched our food quality with service quality it'd hard to go anywhere but here.

The best gravy and chips I have ever tasted was from a road side caravan in Phillip ACT coming back from a game in Sydney. I arrived back about 1am and was starving, saw this open, stopped and indulged. I kept going back and even took the wife for a feed (anniversary) and he told me he put Vegemite in his gravy but wouldn't say how much. He's closed now and I've never been able to re-create that taste.
Talking of road side caravan takeaway in Canberra, used to always hit up Checkers food van in Belconnen across from the Labour Club on our return from a drunken night out in Civic. They had pretty decent chips and gravy what I remember. Also Chicken Gourmet in Civic was also a good feed when drunk on a night out. They would cover your box of chicken and chips with chicken salt like it was a snow top mountain.