Best Concentration Of Talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back to Back

Waterboy
Reaction score
The reason why the Doggies will dominate for the next 3 or 4 years is the best concentration of young player talent akin to the Eels in the 1980s if we happen to keep them.

Utai,Tonga,Anasta,SB Williams,Mason and O'Meley are all or should be current internationals.All 24 years and under.

Add class players in Patten,Harris,Sherwin,Ryan,Asotasi and Matua.

Also the experience of El Masri,Lolesi,Grimaldi,Hughes and Perry.

Also the fourth tier players in up and coming talent like Cutler, Phelps, Frizzo, Karawana,Conn,Thurling,Myles,Czislowski, N and C Armit.

The Doggies are in an awesome position to go back to back and then a threepeat is not out of the question.

Main threat is the Panthers with a big forward pack.The Roosters are gone.They will be visiting the days of the mid 90s.Without Fittler and an attack that is very predictable they will be also-rans for the next few years.

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good post back 2 back. i am agree with most of your post except the part about easts being gone.

they aren't gone by a long shot. While i dont rate most* of there backline/halves.. with a forward pack as good as theres they will most definately feature somewhere in the top 6. and still be a genuine premiership threat (while not actually winning it.)

I believe it could be canterburys most successful era ever.. with some of the current players be known as new all time greats.

Can't wait to see Cutler, Thurling and Myles get a chance in first grade..

MzBulldog83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh for sho!

Keep them young i say, the results are proof and these players will just keep getting better.

You just need to look at the likes of sonny and Willie(tonga) to know what the dogz are capable of for season '05..

Anastabation

Reaction score
Call me pessmistic but I am not niave enough to think the dogs will win next year and the year after in a cake walk. We were pretty lucky with injuries last season but we've already got bloody mason out for 6 months, long term issues with Utai and a few others. You guys mentioned that we do have some promising young talent coming through but none of them have any real first grade experience. You've got to be good enough to win a premiership but you've also gotta be lucky enough. The loss of thurston, price, scott, miava and feeney is bigger then what alot of us think.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
It's not all doom and gloom, we may have lost Maiava, Feeney Scooter, Price and Thurston, but somehow we've still got stars like Corey Hughes practically holding the squad together due to their talents.

In response to next year being a cake wake, every season is a totally different challenege. We have some promising juniors coming through, but does that really mean we will be unaffected, and will shoes of our departing stars be filled by the new signings and juniors?

Let's take a look at 2003. Same squad as 2002, minus a few players, and we expected our side to cruise through the whole season unbeaten for 30 rounds, we all found out that was not the case after the first two or three rounds. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is every season is a totally new challenge for the club, it's coaching staff, and it's supporters.

We had a pretty good run with injuries in 2004, and they were managed extremely well (towards the end of the season). We won the grand final without our best players available, and these very players that were injured - are departing this great club.

I agree with Anastabation about the concentration of talent at our club. We RARELY let go of players we won't to keep no matter what the circumstances are. Unlike the Roosters, who show no respect or faith to their players, and rather chew them up when they are playing great football and spit them out when they run into a patch of poor form.

The Roosters are go0orrneskiees without the messiah. Rumour has it they'll be signing up Clark Kent aka "the man of steel" on 20k a season to fill his shoes.

The Entertainers

AKA Brad
Reaction score
everyone says there team will dominate in the next few years when their team wins a premiership. Im guessing the roosters would of said it in 2002 and look what happened to them. They had no success in 03 and 04.

A

atomic_crimson

each year is different... but i think we have a coach and squad who will adjust to it...

i would love to say we will go back to back..but any team who wins a premiership can say it... its a matter of how prepared they come back andhow they deal with injuries, rep selections etc...

The Entertainers

AKA Brad
Reaction score
a wouldn't be surprised if a team comes out of no where and wins it just like penrith did in 03

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
The Entertainers said:
a wouldn't be surprised if a team comes out of no where and wins it just like penrith did in 03
I was thinking Manly can easily capture next year's premiership with Terry Hill playing in the centres.

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Habib said:
I was thinking Manly can easily capture next year's premiership with Terry Hill playing in the centres.
I was thinking a remark like that is quite ludicrious.

but then again they do have Brent Kite in there squad for 2005...

Bellz

Bellz
Reaction score
I think if we can sign up the players coming off contract, then we will continue to go well.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
haha Mr George strikes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.