News Benji Marshall Bulldogs chances and asking price

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cronulla is the latest club which I understand has expressed an interest in Benji. Whether an offer has been lodged I don’t know yet.

“The other smokie is the Bulldogs. They have a bit of money left over, whether they can get him cheap is to be determined.

“I don’t know if there’s been any official approach there either but certainly they’ve discussed Benji.

“The speculation is he wants $400,000 a year, which is probably on the higher scale for a bloke his age.
“Whether Benji has to drop it a bit, albeit he has been a wonderful player for a number of years, $400,000 seems a bit high.”

Fox Sports

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No thanks. Good player attacking wise but he's too dominant and you'll only get 1-2 years out of him. I'd like us to look more towards the future. He hasn't done too good of a job with helping develop Brooks either.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another club Ritchie says have given thought to chasing Marshall is the Bulldogs.

He said the potential would be there to sign the former Tiger for one year given their main target, Panthers young gun Matt Burton, only comes off-contract at the end of next season.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If one year Benji means no Lewis in the team then yes please.........Dont think I can stand the stress of another year of watching Lewis go around. 350k Max 1 Year deal...

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
For someone who's looking for a gig i think him demanding a price is a bit iffy. You would think you would be keen to see what offers you get first, i mean, it's not like he is in demand it's more a lifeline situation at this point in his career.

Anyhow, $400K....

images.jpeg.jpg

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If one year Benji means no Lewis in the team then yes please.........Dont think I can stand the stress of another year of watching Lewis go around. 350k Max 1 Year deal...
If Barrett thinks the same there are other options, e.g. playing Averillo at five-eighth (his preferred position) and having one of Meaney or Hopoate at fullback. I still prefer either of those options over signing Benji.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Barrett thinks the same there are other options, e.g. playing Averillo at five-eighth (his preferred position) and having one of Meaney or Hopoate at fullback. I still prefer either of those options over signing Benji.
That's easily the best plan B if we don't get Burton.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the team is stronger with Hoppa at centers and Averillo at the back. Having an old head like Benji and Flanggan guide the team around is a much better combination than 2 inexperienced young halves.....Benji is getting on but he still has that maturity and has far better kicking game.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If we's willing to come down to $350k and Burton is no chance for next year, we should sign him in a heartbeat. He was great for the Tigers this year.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
That's easily the best plan B if we don't get Burton.
Why would we play Averillo at 6 if we are gunning for Burton and his future is at fullback? Would only stunt his development and we'd have two inexperienced halves. Benji was great this year and an experiences head would do wonders for a young but talented spine. If we can afford him and he's willing to come for one year, we should snap him up. Especially if he will lower his price tag a bit.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
nah....we don't want two talented but inexperienced halves and if Barrett is set on Burton and believes Avo's best position for us going forward is fullback, playing him in the halves for a year will only stunt his development.....besides which, his D in the halves is sus. I know you can say the same for Benji, but good judges seem to think his future is at the back.