BENJI BECOMES BULLDOGS’ PLAN B AS SHARKS LIFELINE FADES

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Star five-eighth Benji Marshall is still on the hunt for a club for 2021 after being let go by the Tigers and the Bulldogs have now emerged as an interested party with the Sharks’ interest fading away, according to The Daily Telegraph.

Marshall was linked to the Cowboys, where he’d reunite with new coach Todd Payten, his 2005 grand final teammate. However, Marshall backed away from the deal due to his desire to remain in Sydney.

The Sharks entered the conversation given key playmaker Shaun Johnson will miss the start of next season through injury, but the club is reportedly close to re-signing young half Braydon Trindall which will ultimately cancel out any chance of Marshall signing.

I understand they’re about to re-sign Braydon Trindall, their young half coming through the ranks and given that they already have Chad Townsend and Shaun Johnson at the club, I don’t think Benji Marshall will be heading to the Shire.”

The Telegraph reports the Bulldogs have discussed Marshall as an option for 2021 to add both depth and experience to their young halves stocks but it all comes down to whether new coach Trent Barrett can lure across Penrith playmaker Matt Burton.

Canterbury have offered Burton a two-year deal worth $800,000 from 2022 but remain hopeful the Panthers will release him early to make the move to Belmore for 2021.

If the Bulldogs can’t land Burton for next season, the club will likely begin talks with Marshall’s camp.

It seems though, Canterbury have more than the Panthers to worry about with Riccio revealing the Sharks also have interest in the highly regarded half.

“Interestingly, the Sharks are making a little play for Matt Burton,” he said.

“We all know the Bulldogs are in the box seat to pry Matt Burton out of Penrith, however, I understand the Sharks — as somewhat of a replacement for the off-contract Matt Moylan at the end of next year — Matt Burton is right on their radar.”

Source: The Daily Telegraph.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We won't sign Benji. Barrett wouldn't do that too us.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck Plan B. Get Plan A done. Penrith will be under salary cap pressure. If they want a player swap then fine. We can't go into next year with Benji/Sezer/Lewis/JMK in the fucking 6 jersey. It'll just be a waste of time. C'mon man

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fuck Plan B. Get Plan A done. Penrith will be under salary cap pressure. If they want a player swap then fine. We can't go into next year with Benji/Sezer/Lewis/JMK in the fucking 6 jersey. It'll just be a waste of time. C'mon man
If we have to wait until 2022 cop Averillo 6 and Meaney 1 for a year. If we miss out on Burton entirely than a better plan B would be Corey Allan at fullback and keep Averillo in his preferred (at least better at) position, five-eighth.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just my opinion by I don't think the Sharts are an attractive club to go to anymore.
When were they attractive? They either had juniors or bought rejects at inflated prices.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly if we don't get Burton until 2022 and we only sign Benchi for 1 year, then I am OK with it. He would bring a lot of experience to the younger guys which they could learn from. Obviously it can only be a 1 year thing though as he is not the future.

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Further proof that the Kennel is providing ALL the oil for the MSM!

I don't mind the thought of Benji for a year if we don't land Burton (Avo to FB - $ for a hooker not Ado Carr) as he will bring game experience and the flair that Flanno lacks, but I doubt his specific half mentoring as Brookes doesn't seemed to have improved at all "learning" from Benji.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta be fake news released by Benji's agent

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly if we don't get Burton until 2022 and we only sign Benchi for 1 year, then I am OK with it. He would bring a lot of experience to the younger guys which they could learn from. Obviously it can only be a 1 year thing though as he is not the future.
If you read Steve Mortimer's book Top Dog he speaks highly of the influence Bobby McCarthy had on him and the rest of what was a very young team in 76 and 77. We made the semis in 76 and 78, Grand Finalists in 79 and Premiers in 1980. In 77 we had a heap of injuries and sickness.

Similarly Ricky Stuart and Bradley Clyde in 1998 and 99. By 2001 we were in the window for a GF win Salary Cap scandal notwithstanding.

What an older player can do for a young group both on and off the field is the upside rather than what the older player can do himself.

In my view young players can learn nearly as much from Senior players who are intelligent, as they can from coaches.

Based on this I think Benji isn't the worst option.