Ben Roberts on Bloke In A Bar podcast

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Being left footed was an advantage too. Plus he had a good running game. But he loved an error and a brain snap. I reckon if he was with us when we were successful and he didn't have so much playmaking responsibility, he would have had a better career with us.
Agree. I remember the shit pass he threw for us to intercept in the 2014 semi final against Melbourne lol.

Malla

Reaction score
Had one good year but from what I heard over and over never had the full commitment to footy to be a great player. Had heaps of potential tho, realised potential in 2009 then after that just dropped off.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Says he never learnt how to play as a half till he went to melbourne they taught him more about structure and half play in 1 year then he learnt at dogs/eels in 8 years.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Says he never learnt how to play as a half till he went to melbourne they taught him more about structure and half play in 1 year then he learnt at dogs/eels in 8 years.
In other words, they had cronk who told him what to do.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But he's not in a bar, and there isn't even any booze.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But seriously, Roberts had so much potential and would have the occasional brilliant game... but then he would frustrate the shit out of us for the next few games.
As everyone said, his inconsistancy is what prevented him being remembered as a great player.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
He had an uncanny ability to break tackles and hard step the opposition. He made Lockyer look like his feet were made of cement that day he stepped around him. He also had this uncanny ability to drop the ball or make an epic mistake when the game was on the line. He shocked us both ways! LOL

Malla

Reaction score
Finally listened to the whole thing and caught that at the end
What a flog. He seems a bit bitter for the way he left Bulldogs. Like he couldn’t take a look at himself and take accountability for his shit performances? What a flog.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Apart from that Broncs game in 09 remember his debut game Vs NZ where he scored a great individual try to win game for us in Golden Point..

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Which translates to Cameron Smith makes all the decisions here, you just sit back and let him and Cronk do the work... and this is your simplified / defined role.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just remembered a game where he had an almighty brain snap. I can’t remember what year it was, might of been 08 or 10 We were playing souths. We had the game won. Souths I think scored 3 tries to get level. Then with minutes left on the clock we had a full set only 20m out. Instead of working for the FG. Roberts put in a grubber on the 2nd tackle and the ball went dead. Outside backs didn’t even know it was on. Souths got the ball back and marched downfield to kick a field goal to win the game.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I just remembered a game where he had an almighty brain snap. I can’t remember what year it was, might of been 08 or 10 We were playing souths. We had the game won. Souths I think scored 3 tries to get level. Then with minutes left on the clock we had a full set only 20m out. Instead of working for the FG. Roberts put in a grubber on the 2nd tackle and the ball went dead. Outside backs didn’t even know it was on. Souths got the ball back and marched downfield to kick a field goal to win the game.
You pretty much summed up his whole career at the Dogs.

Malla

Reaction score
You pretty much summed up his whole career at the Dogs.
Keating played half the following year he went and we made the grand final lol says a lot about Robert’s
Fuck him, that last bit about how he learnt how to play at storm pissed me off.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Keating played half the following year he went and we made the grand final lol says a lot about Robert’s
Fuck him, that last bit about how he learnt how to play at storm pissed me off.

All keating did was pass to barba.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Think it was just a random night where everything he touched turned to gold. I found this match report.

Just took this quote from the article:

Earlier the Bulldogs had skipped away to a 10-0 lead courtesy of an early double to Brett Morris.

Fucking lol!