Ben Roberts on Bloke In A Bar podcast

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember Ben Roberts having one good game for us against I think the Broncos. He scored a really good individual try beating about 3 defenders. We extended and upgraded him on that one performance but he never had as good a game again.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember Ben Roberts having one good game for us against I think the Broncos. He scored a really good individual try beating about 3 defenders. We extended and upgraded him on that one performance but he never had as good a game again.
He was a 10/10 that game. Pretty sure he threw 4 or 5 try assists as well. Out played his opposite Darren Lockyer that one night. Spent the rest of his career inconsistent after that

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He was a 10/10 that game. Pretty sure he threw 4 or 5 try assists as well. Out played his opposite Darren Lockyer that one night. Spent the rest of his career inconsistent after that
Was that the game after Money Bill walked out and we somehow thrashed Brisbane?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
A lesson in there somewhere for Elliott.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was that the game after Money Bill walked out and we somehow thrashed Brisbane?
Think it was just a random night where everything he touched turned to gold. I found this match report.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Loved a game he played against the Warriors - probably 06 I think.

We were down 16 nil after Vatuvei gave El Masri a bath. We clawed our way back into the game and I believe take it to golden point.

Both teams were disgusting at FG attempts. And with time ticking down, Roberts steps up - I think he shimmied for a FG, stepped off his left, off his left again, off his left again. FB to beat - hears a scream on his left, pops a pass to none other than O Meley, backing up his line break and winning the game for us.

Last edited:

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ah true.. I almost forgot about him! Man we went through some average halves back then.. Taumata, Roberts, Holdsworth, Groom..
Oh man, the hype about groom and Holdsworth’s and Robert’s one good season.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Roberts was good at a few things. Was pretty elusive which made defenders commit to tackling him. And because of this he was able to draw defenders in and pop a pass which often put the outside backs into a bit of space. His kicking game was better than most of the halves we've had in recent years too. Kind of gotten sick of seeing the low cross field bomb in recent years.

Like so many of our players he's copped a great deal of flack because he wasn't the absolute best half in the game. I personally never had any issues with him during his time at the club.

As far as this interview goes, it got to the bit where they were giving wraps to SBW and I switched off.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Roberts was very talented but he was a rocks or diamonds player. He had some great games but he had more games with numerous bad errors and brain snaps. He never really found any consistency during his career.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Roberts was good at a few things. Was pretty elusive which made defenders commit to tackling him. And because of this he was able to draw defenders in and pop a pass which often put the outside backs into a bit of space. His kicking game was better than most of the halves we've had in recent years too. Kind of gotten sick of seeing the low cross field bomb in recent years.

Like so many of our players he's copped a great deal of flack because he wasn't the absolute best half in the game. I personally never had any issues with him during his time at the club.

As far as this interview goes, it got to the bit where they were giving wraps to SBW and I switched off.
His short kicking game was good, loved his grubbers wrapping around from right to left for JMoz and Goodwin

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
His short kicking game was good, loved his grubbers wrapping around from right to left for JMoz and Goodwin
Being left footed was an advantage too. Plus he had a good running game. But he loved an error and a brain snap. I reckon if he was with us when we were successful and he didn't have so much playmaking responsibility, he would have had a better career with us.