Ben Barba [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooby doooo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I really think he has so much potential, i'm not going to say "that he's the next big thing" however he may be and i think he deserves a crack, he is alot like Matty Bowen, Preston C etc... He's not ready to become a starting player YET but i think bringing him on when the opposition forwards begin to tire would definitely play to our advantage.
He won't get any better playing in reserves that's a given but in first grade he will grow and learn so much.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
remember 1 of his tries was an intercept, the 2nd was from attacking play breaking down from the opps and he ran away and scored, and the 3rd was from a chip and 1 on 1 strip.

He did set up the 1st though. But on the larger picture, your not going to get tries like that a whole heap. He needs to work on his set plays alot more.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Hopefully Barba will do good in the Off-Season & KM gives him a bench spot.

Barba has got a good kicking game, seeing how he puts the ball into the corner & forces it to stop in the field of play, if he could produce that with Goodwin & Morris running at full pace, we'll get alot of tries & force alot of Drop-Outs.

He'll need to fix his Defence, that will be the key point if he is to succeed into FG.

He's attack is wonderful, if Noddy can teach him some of our set plays, he'll do really well in that department.

Overall View; Work on Barba's Defence and KM MIGHT give him a bench spot.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You know Barba really can't win.

He gets overhyped when he doesn't deserve to and hated on a little when maybe he does deserve at least a bit of credit because he has been so overhyped in the past. Which isn't his fault.

I can understand people not rating him too much and I can understand people being excited by him but I think some people need to just wipe the slate clean and not hold anything against the kid because of the hype around him. Because I think being fed up of him being overhyped is really preventing some people from forming an objective opinion about him.

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not me. I called for him to be put on the bench for Hickey long before the finals.:o

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
i called for him not to be put in on the bench this year and i still stand by it. However for next year its a clean slate. Ill see what he can do in the trials as he will def get a go there. I dont want to only see individual brilliance, i also want to see a team player as in setting up other players also.

We all know what he can do individually, i want to see what he can do though as a team player. He doesnt do much of it, hopefully he can work on that with dymock and noddy in the off season.

hotdiggitydogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Barba should only replace a bench player next year
1. cant tackle- Seriously needs to learn how
2. yesterday he was in the right place at the right time for all 3 of those trys
3. he faded in and out of the game like u wouldnt belive, first 10 he was all over the place doing everything then went missing till half time, second half was around for final 15-20min only.

Nick taylor should be considered for wing or something next year, fast as hell and can tackle

C

chipandchase

the is so much shiit on here it is not funny.
i will give you my take on this, it may not be 100% correct but i think it is pretty close to the mark.
Barba is a player of freakish talent, the things he does and what he can do you can not teach.
I have read his defence was crap, well i disagree, he put his body on the line and his defence was good. Every half in the modern game is going to be targeted in defence. That is the obviuos place for a big back running forward to target. Yesterday as an example with both halves from parra being targeted and missing tackles that led to tries.
all you niff nuffs that said Barba did not nothing in the first half, he cant score every play it is that simple. great players like Fittler and daly when they were young were exactly the same, but what they had were special talents.
i ask everyone the question, would they have won if Barba had not played and scored 3 tires, the answer is no.
They played Norths before Haz last game, once again the team was behind and needed something special, Barba produced.
what everyone has to understand, as i have stated above, he can not score everytime he touches the ball. yes he might be quiet for periods of a game, he picks his moments in a game, thats what good players do. They "read" the game, taking intercepts etc is alot harder than people give credit for. There arent many players that can read what other players can do, Kenny was a good example. Barba is that sort of player, in no way am i comparing him to Kenny, but he plays on instinct.
He is a match winner, and we desperately needed something like that last Friday night.
We all know if he doesnt play first grade next year then he has no choice but to leave. He will be offered big contract at other clubs, lets hope that he does everything in his power over the off season so that Kev has to play him, wether that be at 6 or off the bench.
he is only 19 people forget that, he is played in the hardest position on the field yesterday, and he is not a natural 7 either, telling guys who have played alot of first grade where to go and what to do.
They could not have won without him yesterday, that is the fact of the matter

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He should of played against Parra last week, Kimmorely was too out of form and worried about his head.

C

chipandchase

yeah that taylor impressed me
he has potential but he is not ready for first grade, dropped a sitter of barba where he should have scored.
talking about wingers, Turner yesterday was fantastic. Great yards with the ball and his defence was first class and also good in the air.

tyl0r

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we need impact off the bench. Someone to make a line break or threaten in attack. He's the man. Things happen when he's on. Some missed tackles but also good stuff in attack. Mortimer missed a tackle last night that led to a try. But he's been good. We need that

Toyntman

Monstered Him
Reaction score
Just a thought, I would say Barba would need to be on the park for a while to get into the contest, how about a Bulldogs team of 2010 that looks like this;
1. Patten
2. Ta Kilifi
3. Morris
4. Idris
5. Goodwin
6. Barba
7. Kimmorely
8. Hannant
9. Ennis
10. Hodgson
11. Stagg
12. Ryan
13. Roberts

Warburton, Halatau, Armit and Paea.

Plenty of talent and no fat slow guys. Strength and skill and incredible pace. Turner on the wing is still a maybe for me, to me he has no pace, but a good clubman and trainer, he is only small and anyone can finish a play. This Kilifi is a big fast boy.

Toyntman

Monstered Him
Reaction score
Also Barba can't be that bad in defence, if he has been playing in a team that is not only scoring alot of points, but letting none in. Have a look at a few of their wins, they have battered the opponents and kept them scoreless a few times. He is looking like an X Factor.

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
Just a thought, I would say Barba would need to be on the park for a while to get into the contest, how about a Bulldogs team of 2010 that looks like this;
1. Patten
2. Ta Kilifi
3. Morris
4. Idris
5. Goodwin
6. Barba
7. Kimmorely
8. Hannant
9. Ennis
10. Hodgson
11. Stagg
12. Ryan
13. Roberts

Plenty of talent and no fat slow guys. Strength and skill and incredible pace. Turner on the wing is still a maybe for me, to me he has no pace, but a good clubman and trainer, he is only small and anyone can finish a play. This Kilifi is a big fast boy.
Roberts?

A lock?

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
1. Patten
2. Ta Kilifi
3. Morris
4. Idris
5. Goodwin
6. Barba
7. Kimmorely
8. Hannant
9. Ennis
10. Hodgson
11. Stagg
12. Ryan
13. Roberts

Picking roberts at lock? Moving Stagg out of lock? Picking a NYC player over a dual premiership winning winger? Moving Morris away from Goodwin? Thank God your no where near our coaching staff

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Patten
2. Ta Kilifi
3. Morris
4. Idris
5. Goodwin
6. Barba
7. Kimmorely
8. Hannant
9. Ennis
10. Hodgson
11. Stagg
12. Ryan
13. Roberts

Drugs are bad mmkay.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
1 - Luke Patten
2 - Steve Turner
3 - Jamal Idris
4 - Josh Morris
5 - Bryson Goodwin
6 - Ben Roberts
7 - Brett Kimmorley
8 - Ben Hannant
9 - Michael Ennis
10 - Michael Hodgson
11 - Andrew Ryan
12 -
13 - David Stagg

This pretty much won't change. NFI if Tadpole will continue with Agro starting. I for one dont mind either way but i think the only people with chances of making the other 5 spots are:

Mickey Paea
Gary Warburton
Jarred Hickey ( Needs to keep improving as the new recruits will get a go if he doesnt)
Chris Armit (Should be in the team)
Yileen Gordon (Should be in the team)
Dene Halatau (Will def be in the team)
Ben Barba (Time will tell whether or not he gets picked, should see FG this year though)
Daniel Harrison (Would have more than likely played FG this year if it werent for his injury)
Danny Williams (Really has impressed this year, should not be forgotten)

Status
Not open for further replies.