Belmore Blunders

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mark Bugden scored a try in the ‘84 GF, we won 6-4. I was there and will never forget when Mick Cronin missed a penalty to level the scores late in the game with a kick he would’ve made 9 times out of 10. Luckily for us that day was the 10th time :-)

Try-less was when we lost 4-2 to Parra in ‘86.
Yes my bad I confused it with 86
I was also there in 84 on the old hill
Or what was left of it
He scored from dummy half from memory at the bradman stand end
I didn’t go to the 86 gf thank Christ

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes my bad I confused it with 86
I was also there in 84 on the old hill
Or what was left of it
He scored from dummy half from memory at the bradman stand end
I didn’t go to the 86 gf thank Christ
That's it mate. Ray Price went down injured and where he would've been defending Bugden ran into the hole. Totally caught the Eels off guard and his try gave us the ascendancy early in the second half.
Unfortunately I was also at the '86 GF. We had our chances there too but were too gassed to get home, especially once Phil Sigsworth got sent off for collaring Brett Kenny. Pretty sure that was the last send off in a GF that I can recall too.
Luckily we only had to wait 2 more years for glory again.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been done before, but all the talk about Belmore yesterday reminded me of two games I was at and witnessed these classic blunders:

1) 1984 - Dogs winger Max Mannix running nearly the length of the field to score only to drop the ball over the line. Luckily, we still won that day with no tries being scored.

2) 1989 - Terry Lamb potted a field goal in the dying minutes to make the score 12-11 against the Knights. He says he thought the score was 10-all at the time, not 12-10. We were sitting on the hill looking at each other saying 'What the' when it happened. Baa made up for it with several other pieces of genius though :-)

Anyone else have similar stories or footage?
Doesn't have to be Belmore of course - these are just two that came to mind having been there...

Lol I was at those games too.

Will have to think long and hard for other Dogs ones but well the greatest blunder from a Parramatta player was the Paul Carige effort in the 1998 finals game. Bought back heaps of memories when I saw him play in the Legends of League day this year. Wondered whether or not Parra were short of takers to play in their side.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Lol I was at those games too.

Will have to think long and hard for other Dogs ones but well the greatest blunder from a Parramatta player was the Paul Carige effort in the 1998 finals game. Bought back heaps of memories when I saw him play in the Legends of League day this year. Wondered whether or not Parra were short of takers to play in their side.

Hilarious. I had forgotten just what a shocker Carige had that day! You know you're in strife when Sterlo starts tearing strips off you!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Poor bloke. I didn't remember how bad it was either.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Had tickets on the half way line for all finals at the stadium that year and my best moolucka Greek mate decided to baptize his kid "THAT" day, selfish fuckin dragon.. Instead I got to go to the GF....:coldsweat:

That game should have had its finally with Polly kicking that field goal. I still love watching him lifted up with arms raised, I was screaming like a fuckin madman thinking it was the final play of the century.