Bellyache Bombshell! New Brisbane team bidding to join NRL sets sights on Storm coach

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/fca6e82e9bcc4ed87dc6263c9d8848f0

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy has been sensationally linked with the Brisbane Bombers consortium that’s hoping to become the 17th NRL team — but not for a head coaching role.

The Courier-Mail reported that officials from the Bombers have “met regularly” with Bellamy to get him to head up their football program pending NRL admission in 2023, when the current TV broadcast deal expires.

The decision on expansion has to be made by July to enable NRL CEO Todd Greenberg, ARLC chairman Peter V’landys and commercial chief Andrew Abdo to take any new competition format to potential broadcasters.

The NRL has long wanted a second team in Brisbane to provide competition to the Broncos, enable the league to stage a game at the well-attended Suncorp Stadium every week and take advantage of the commercial possibilities from Australia’s third largest city.

The Courier-Mail revealed that Bombers director Craig Davison and Bellamy met most recently last Christmas at the Storm coach’s property on the Gold Coast for informal talks.

The 61-year-old Bellamy is contracted to Melbourne until the end of 2022.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported on Thursday the Storm are preparing for the eventual retirement of Bellamy and captain Cam Smith by radically changing its ownership structure.

Majority shareholder Bart Campbell has halved his stake and negotiations have opened with David Argyle, the billionaire mining magnate owner of the Toronto Wolfpack, to take a share.

The Herald’s Roy Masters wrote “Bellamy is not expected to take a full-time position as a coach anywhere when his current contract concludes” and that he “can be expected to have significant input into future major decisions.”

But that would be hard to envisage if Bellamy was to become football boss at the Bombers.

For his part, Bellamy says he’s given no commitment to the Bombers but welcomes a second Brisbane team.

“It’s too early to say if I would be involved (with the Bombers) but I have a good relationship with Craig Davison,” Bellamy said.

“I was in discussion with Craig when the Bombers put together a proposal for NRL entry several years ago.

“In my opinion, if the NRL does expand, a second Brisbane team is the way to go.”

Davison, the Bombers’ major shareholder, sang the praises of Bellamy’s abilities.

“We will look at all top-line coaches and Craig Bellamy is arguably the best in the business,” Davison told The Courier-Mail.

“If a licence is granted to us, we will not hesitate in talking to him.

“We are awaiting formal confirmation from the NRL on when they are going to expand.

“The Bombers’ systems and structures and financial models are there.

“We’ve put in nine years of work and with some minor tweaks, our business plan can be brought up to date for the Bombers to be operational by 2023.”

Wahesh

Reaction score
I'm all for a second Brisbane team, but Bombers? Seriously? We've how about we steer clear of the AFL logos and go to something a little more traditional like an animal?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Second Brisbane team makes a lot of sense to me. Way more than Perth or Adelaide (I think Perth should get a relocated Sydney club).

Would not be surprised if Bellyache went to work for this new franchise, I imagine it would really help them hit the ground running so makes sense for all involved.

I do wonder though, what will the other expansion team be? You can't have 17 teams.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Second Brisbane team makes a lot of sense to me. Way more than Perth or Adelaide (I think Perth should get a relocated Sydney club).

Would not be surprised if Bellyache went to work for this new franchise, I imagine it would really help them hit the ground running so makes sense for all involved.

I do wonder though, what will the other expansion team be? You can't have 17 teams.
Central Coast Bears, without question.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Second team in and around Brisbane i think is a great idea. Not sure on the Bombers name. What i think is a must is that the location of the team be some sort of geographical difference to the Broncos. This will create a rivalry. Im sure 99% of people in Brisbane go for the Broncos or a another team so why would they change for another Brisbane team? like the way the a league has gone about Sydney with FC in the CBD. Wanderers out West and now Macarthur in the South west....

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you want a new Brisbane/QLD side to work, it needs to be built off an existing club and supporter base. Redcliffe Dolphins have all that plus the money to get going.

The Broncos just have way too much hold now that no new club would ever be able to compete.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a new Brisbane/QLD side to work, it needs to be built off an existing club and supporter base. Redcliffe Dolphins have all that plus the money to get going.

The Broncos just have way too much hold now that no new club would ever be able to compete.
Wrong. You’d be stoked to know how many people in Brisbane hate the broncos and Bennett . Because of the broncos Brisbane lost its league which was equivalent to nswrl. The same league which produced qld Greats. Second team would be amazing considering a game at Lang park Suncorp stadium
Every week

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wrong. You’d be stoked to know how many people in Brisbane hate the broncos and Bennett . Because of the broncos Brisbane lost its league which was equivalent to nswrl. The same league which produced qld Greats. Second team would be amazing considering a game at Lang park Suncorp stadium
Every week
So everyone hates the Broncos for the same reason you'd want another new franchise team (Brisbane broncos V2) to join the NRL?

Wouldn't having a team from this same QLD comp you speak of be what you want?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dean Pay must get an extension before he is snapped up go north.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
IF the Bulldogs admin arent going to re-sign Pay then surely even they must be keeping an eye on Bellamy's situation? there are squat all coaches available to take us into the new window from 2021 and beyond who have experience and a resume fit to lead a club with as much money that will be available and roster changes the Bulldogs will be undergoing.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm all for a second Brisbane team, but Bombers? Seriously? We've how about we steer clear of the AFL logos and go to something a little more traditional like an animal?

They should be called the Bush Turkeys.. man those things roam around everywhere up there :tearsofjoy:

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So everyone hates the Broncos for the same reason you'd want another new franchise team (Brisbane broncos V2) to join the NRL?

Wouldn't having a team from this same QLD comp you speak of be what you want?
No , because the other clubs who were there originally would lose out , Ipswich would be more deserving. Bombers for sure. Brisbane is diehard league central and with a new team it’d open up a lot of sponsorship and opportunities and imagine the local wild derby’s witn 4 teams

Wahesh

Reaction score
No , because the other clubs who were there originally would lose out , Ipswich would be more deserving. Bombers for sure. Brisbane is diehard league central and with a new team it’d open up a lot of sponsorship and opportunities and imagine the local wild derby’s witn 4 teams
People said the same thing about bringing in the Titans. Look at them now.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brisbane Broncos and Brisbane Bombers. QLDer's have all the imagination of rock moss.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I still think @Raysie's idea is the most logical one. Bring in a team that already has a supporter base from QLD Cup, give them some salary cap exemptions to start with so they can sign a couple of marquee players, then watch them grow.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The sooner the NRL move the dying Gold Coast franchise to Brisbane and rename it, the better..

Then add two more teams. One in Perth and one in the Central Coast to bring the Bears back with two games a year played at North Sydney Oval for nostalgia.

This way you add a second Brisbane team, take advantage of the Central Coast dying for a team and bringing a foundation club back and also expand into a new market which creates huge flexibility for TV rights with later timeslots.

If Greenberg and the NRL bungle this again and don't expand, or if they don't add Perth and give the rights to 9 for cents on the dollar again, it will stifle the growth of the league for many years to come.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Central Coast Bears, without question.
CC Bears
Brisbane Bombers
Western Sharks

18 teams
2 conferences NSWRL and ARL (like the NFL with NFC and AFC)
The 2 conference champs play eachother in the GF