Beer Appreciation Thread

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
To this day, BentSpoke is the only IPA I can actually drink. But their non-IPA stuff is better and they went downhill after they stopped doing the full lid can open.
I nearly lost fingers trying to open them out on the boat haha. They make great beers. So do Capital

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bit of a different one. Sourade. Goes really bloody well.

20210917_213445.jpg

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd never heard of this brewery before. It's from Goulburn, a genuine independent, and does all of the usual favourites (lager, pale, IPA etc).

It's a yes from me. I was worried about it being too strong/hoppy at 6.5%, but it's actually pretty bang on. Good times!

20211002_192144.jpg

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate, have you been yet?
Haven't made it yet. Was planning to go today but we end up going to The Woods bar in Mitchelton. Great spot, lotsa of goodies to try and good for takeaways too. I'll try and get to Happy Valley tomorrow and pick up some takeaways.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Fck there's even a beer appreciation thread here too. Nice...
Well then, what I have lying around at the moment:

For the special occasion (like borders opening up and my Qld Doggies bro coming down for a pissathon)
- managed after 10 years to finally get a bot of Westvleteren 12 (trappist). Voted best beer in the world for 10 of the last 20 years. CVD has made it sort of easier to get. About $60-$70/bottle
- Sink the bismarck by Brewdog (quad IPA - 41% - tried it b4 and its nuclear). Worth it if your a tosser like me and have no issues on spending $240 on a bot of beer. Paid 25 quid in London for a shot years ago - crazy shit. Know someone who tried to down one of these in a sitting. Ended up in hospital....

For the 'something other than the daily drinker':
Daintons Blood Orange NE Rye IPA (have a thing about fruit beers, thought I'd disregard my better sense and give it a go - wish I didn't. Its ok but not worth the $$$)
Daintons Bloodzilla Double Blood Orange NEIPA (see above)
Mother Earth Project X Cosmic Pyrokinesis Hazy IPA (excellent but being from the US - pricey)
Akasha Hopsmith IPA (my go to boutique beer, only issue is its easy to down and big on alcohol, u get pissed too quickly). Consistently easy to get too.
St. Bernandus Abt 12 (Trappist - same recipe as the Westvleteren but at a price you can live with).

Thoroughly recommend the Akasha - believe its brewed in Balmain. Have had it on tap or can - same/same. If you want a seriously unusual beer experience, can get the St. B's @ around $75/6 pack. Starts like a ipa, then becomes a mild stout and then goes bitter as an aftertaste (and its 10% too). Trappist beers are weird, you either love em or you hate them. Probably like blue beer :fearscream:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I've had a few Daintons beers. I really liked them. Not sure if I've tried any Akasha beers. I'll keep an eye out for it.
1st time and shouldn't have done a fruit beer. Fckn thing tasted like B/orange. People don't eat them as they taste like shit next to a normal orange. Embarassed - dumb rookie move.

Not Balmain but five dock - close enough.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
1st time and shouldn't have done a fruit beer. Fckn thing tasted like B/orange. People don't eat them as they taste like shit next to a normal orange. Embarassed - dumb rookie move.

Not Balmain but five dock - close enough.
I've enjoyed Akasha before. Not the easiest thing to get in Brisbane though.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I've enjoyed Akasha before. Not the easiest thing to get in Brisbane though.
First time I ever drank it was at a bar in Southbank. Don't ask me the name of the bar though. Had too many.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Believe the quote from the monastery is "we live to brew, not brew to live". I'd almost give up sex for that....