Beer Appreciation Thread

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi All,

With all the Christmas cheer going on, and to be had over the next month or so, I though it might be a good time to start a beer appreciation thread (sorry, no ciders please).

Please add any thoughts re beers, old and new, and maybe cool new places to drink them.

Ghostofdime, maye you can tell us a bit more about that joint at Alexandra Headland (its website is under construction).

I'll kick off....

Here is Brisbane, the craft beer scene is really going gangbusters. It seems like every few weeks a new bar is opening or festival is on. I'm no beer wanker by any means, but its nice to have a change from XXXX Gold, which Queenslanders drink like water for some reason.

If one finds themselves in Nundah village, I recommend this place that has recently opened:

http://www.fitzandpotts.com.au/

Yes, its very hipster, but the owner loves and knows his brews, and is therefore an excellent host. He spends the evening wandering around talking about beer and giving out samples. They have about 5 or 6 beers on tap, and once a keg runs out, often it is replaced with something completely different, so if you sit there long enough you can go through about a dozen different beers in a session.

Its one of those places that has old weird furniture, and is on a rooftop... it also has a $115 beer. Didn't try it though. Also features its own beehive - that's as hipster as Brisbane gets!

Well, cheers!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My friend's Mrs is a complete beer snob so when we go out I like to drink Pure Blonde or Hahn Super Dry just to piss her off. They actually go alright too if you want to drink a lot ('cause they're basically water)

But for the tasty ones, I'm partial to the One Fifty Lashes (James Squire)

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Another watery one with a decent taste, Asahi Super Dry. Great Japanese Beer.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've found myself moving to Mid strengths
Peroni Leggera
Coopers Mild
Asahi Mid

As for full strength nothing is better than a well maintained Asahi tap, I sell $6 pints of Heineken which decent to get in on. I love having a beer at the Bavarian Bier Cafe on the river in Brisbane, but I could say the same for most of the joints in Brisbane

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I've found myself moving to Mid strengths
Peroni Leggera
Coopers Mild
Asahi Mid

As for full strength nothing is better than a well maintained Asahi tap, I sell $6 pints of Heineken which decent to get in on. I love having a beer at the Bavarian Bier Cafe on the river in Brisbane, but I could say the same for most of the joints in Brisbane
If you like German beers, get thee to the German Club near the Gabba. It smells like an old RSL, but lots of German beer and the pork knuckle is goooood.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
for me nothing beats the German beers from the bier cafes. Hofbrau original is the bees kneees

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
And I was shown the best way to drink carona.

• Line the rim (tehe) of a big cup with lime.
  • poor salt on a plate/board and twist the rim of the cup in the salt so its lined with it
  • squeeze about 3 lime wedge in the cup and chuck them in
  • poor in the carona

You will never drink carona from the bottle again

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And I was shown the best way to drink carona.

• Line the rim (tehe) of a big cup with lime.
  • poor salt on a plate/board and twist the rim of the cup in the salt so its lined with it
  • squeeze about 3 lime wedge in the cup and chuck them in
  • poor in the carona

You will never drink carona from the bottle again
Tried a Mexican Bulldog?

30ml Tequila
60ml Lemon and Lime juice
Big scoop of ice

Put through a blender till its a slushy

Salt rim a big glass 500ml+
Add the frozen margarita, tip the Corona upside down.

Best served after working in the sun for hours

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tried a Mexican Bulldog?

30ml Tequila
60ml Lemon and Lime juice
Big scoop of ice

Put through a blender till its a slushy

Salt rim a big glass 500ml+
Add the frozen margarita, tip the Corona upside down.

Best served after working in the sun for hours
No but sounds sexy. although im struggling to picture this... do you have a pic?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Try Matsos Mango beer and Chilli beer. They're pretty good, but their standard beers are a bit rubbish.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Good craft beers are my jam these days - less/no preservatives = no smashing headache hangover the next day.

There's some decent microbreweries popping up now. There's a place here in Canberra called Bentspoke...drank every beer on their menu on Saturday night. Was proper blinde lol

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
PS once you have a Corona in Mexico, you can't drink it here.

If I want something light and crisp I have a Sol. It's like the male version of Corona.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If I want something light and crisp I have a Sol. It's like the male version of Corona.
This.
Corona is to mexicans, what fosters is to Aussies. The beer everyone else thinks they drink.
Sol is the beer they actually drink.
Delicious too.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
This.
Corona is to mexicans, what fosters is to Aussies. The beer everyone else thinks they drink.
Sol is the beer they actually drink.
Delicious too.
The man knows his stuff.