'Beat the Heat' life hacks.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Apart from the obvious things like pools and air conditioning, have you got a little trick you like to help keep cool ?

Here's what we do in Casa De La CeeKay when we cant go to beaches, shops, etc ...

- Windows open overnight (Doors open optional) : Lets the trapped heat escape.
- Close North and West facing windows at sunrise including blinds : Prevents heat from entering.
- Cold morning shower.
- Remaining windows closed when aircon goes on.
- Zooper Doopers all day.
- Cold cloth cooling = Take a face washer. Apply cold water. Wring out excess water. Wipe the tops of your bare feet and the back of your neck ... VIOLA ... instant coolness.
- Beers after the peak heat of the day (4-6pm onwards)

FYI : Forecasts for Wednesday - Saturday (16/1 - 19/1)

Penrith : 41 - 42 - 45 - 35
Campbelltown : 38 - 39 - 42- 32
Bankstown : 34 - 37 - 38 - 30
Sydney CBD : 31 - 32 - 34 - 29

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Container like one of the black rectangular recycling bins full of cold water, dip feet until you feel cool while you sit down.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Air con AND fan going. It blows the glorious cold air around.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thongs in the freezer
Aldi dog cooling matt
Bunnings freezable headband

Go to man cave strip down dog cool matt glorious on an uncovered sack feet nice and cool and head temperature control.
Just for a bit more comfort a mittfull of talc around the duck eggs and balloon knot

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's going to be between 44 and 46 at my parents place this week.

I'm glad I'm in the cool weather of Queensland :grinning:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
1. *head to the local indoor shopping centre and use their free wifi all day* :D
2. *drive around all day with AC cranking*

Air con on DRY mode can work well if the weather is humid, as it is a dehumidify function. I find that's the biggest issue these days. I can deal with 40-50 degree DRY heat, but it's the humidity that gets me.

Thongs in the freezer
Aldi dog cooling matt
Bunnings freezable headband

Go to man cave strip down dog cool matt glorious on an uncovered sack feet nice and cool and head temperature control.
Just for a bit more comfort a mittfull of talc around the duck eggs and balloon knot
You left out the crucial one.... boxer shorts in the freezer for when you clothe back up!!

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
1. *head to the local indoor shopping centre and use their free wifi all day* :D

Air con on DRY mode can work well if the weather is humid, as it is a dehumidify function. I find that's the biggest issue these days. I can deal with 40-50 degree DRY heat, but it's the humidity that gets me.

You left out the crucial one.... boxer shorts in the freezer for when you clothe back up!!
Ill be dragging the xbox and tv out to the pool area if it gets hotter

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

You must think I'm a genius!

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Apart from the obvious things like pools and air conditioning, have you got a little trick you like to help keep cool ?

Here's what we do in Casa De La CeeKay when we cant go to beaches, shops, etc ...

- Windows open overnight (Doors open optional) : Lets the trapped heat escape.
- Close North and West facing windows at sunrise including blinds : Prevents heat from entering.
- Cold morning shower.
- Remaining windows closed when aircon goes on.
- Zooper Doopers all day.
- Cold cloth cooling = Take a face washer. Apply cold water. Wring out excess water. Wipe the tops of your bare feet and the back of your neck ... VIOLA ... instant coolness.
- Beers after the peak heat of the day (4-6pm onwards)

FYI : Forecasts for Wednesday - Saturday (16/1 - 19/1)

Penrith : 41 - 42 - 45 - 35
Campbelltown : 38 - 39 - 42- 32
Bankstown : 34 - 37 - 38 - 30
Sydney CBD : 31 - 32 - 34 - 29
Shouldn't it be East and West? But it doesn't really matter because I don't know compass points anyway

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From a guy that can literally die in the heat.. a simple one.. Water in a big glass with crushed ice..hits the spot everytime!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm half tempted to sleep outside under the pergola on the polished concrete if this continues... except theres lots of bloody bugs out there.

Lol your alway in wollies i bet you got a trundle bed near the cold section
She just slaps together 2 of those moving bargain trolleys and covers herself with crumpets if it gets a bit cool, or moves over to the roast chicken section (that's called Wolfies Winter migration)

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm half tempted to sleep outside under the pergola on the polished concrete if this continues... except theres lots of bloody bugs out there.

She just slaps together 2 of those moving bargain trolleys and covers herself with crumpets if it gets a bit cool, or moves over to the roast chicken section (that's called Wolfies Winter migration)
Its going to get worse my power bill is going to be killer, fuck it i need comfort

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Its going to get worse my power bill is going to be killer, fuck it i need comfort
Hence why I'm dieing rather than cranking the AC. Costs us like $2-3 per hour at the moment to run the AC (maybe even more if its running flat out). So $20-$30 per day or more. $210 a week odd, $1000 a month odd... last summer we copped an eye watering like $1800 bill for 2 people.

Hence I'm looking into Red Energy at the moment (just gotta get my power spreadsheet sorted and done). Basically you punch in the rates and your previous bills and usage, and it works out across all providers what your bills and savings would be over a monthly/quarterly/ 6 monthly/ and yearly basis.

Red are one of few who base your bills on usage. Crack like 10kwH per day (easily done) and you pay like 20c/kwH.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Work nights.
Sleep when it’s hot, up when it’s cool.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Im so glad I live in Bankstown now and not out at Penrith.

Furthermore I'm glad my new house has ducted air conditioning.

Where I work is as hot as hell though