BBQ Carnivore - Thread

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used binchotan charcoal? @Hacky McAxe Our resident encyclopedia I'm looking at you
Was watching them in Japan in the mornings on the street preparing it

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fucking wow.

I went to Costco a couple of weeks ago and got 2.5kg Wagyu Sirloin ended up being about $150.

I'd happily spend money for premium cuts of meat.
If you go to Costco at Lidcome as across road in the shopping g centre you can get wagyu AA8+ for $65kg once they new York cut AA9+ for $49kg best steak I've ever eaten

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Has anyone used binchotan charcoal? @Hacky McAxe Our resident encyclopedia I'm looking at you
Was watching them in Japan in the mornings on the street preparing it
Haven't used it yet but I know about it. It's good because it's pure carbon which means it burns hotter for longer with low ash (the higher the ash the less effective the coal)

Problem is that crazy hipsters have convinced people that it has magical properties if you use it to filter water. So now it's ridiculously expensive in Australia.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m surprised it took this long for a thread about cooking meat/steaks.

Love of cooking meat/stakes and related you tube channels by the Kennel, is just like JMK, Hoppa and Jackson as captain, I just don’t get it.

But hey as I said before the world/kennel would be a boring place if we all had the same opinion.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
A man on the BBQ is the closest thing you'll get to being a king!

upload_2019-12-5_15-35-47.png

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If you go to Costco at Lidcome as across road in the shopping g centre you can get wagyu AA8+ for $65kg once they new York cut AA9+ for $49kg best steak I've ever eaten
Oh really? I do actually go there from time to time, but for that cafe where the kids can play. I will keep that in mind next time I'm there. W8+ for $65kg is reasonable

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
My first dry aged experiment has finally aged for 35 days.

Here are the results.

I've added some before and after pictures of the meat I bought a 3kg Wagyu score 5+ New York strip, after the aging completed, I lost about 25% of the meat.

In terms of the taste, it went from amazing to fucking insanely amazing. Tender, beefier and juicier.

Cooked sous vide for 1.5hrs, 54 degrees internal temp and pan seared on a cast iron.

IMG_20191123_084352.jpeg
IMG_20191123_084538.jpeg
IMG_20191123_085846.jpeg
IMG_20191025_153840.jpeg

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Here are the results.

I've added some before and after pictures of the meat I bought a 3kg Wagyu score 5+ New York strip, after the aging completed, I lost about 25% of the meat.

In terms of the taste, it went from amazing to fucking insanely amazing. Tender, beefier and juicier.

Cooked sous vide for 1.5hrs, 54 degrees internal temp and pan seared on a cast iron.

View attachment 12178View attachment 12179View attachment 12180View attachment 12181
Thanks for the invite!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
With these bloody fires and total fire bans, I haven't been able to have a decent BBQ in weeks. Got a new Sous Vide wand and a mountain of coal. Really need to crank a BBQ soon or I'm probably going to have to strangle a vegan.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Aldi's range of steaks? Wondering if they are worth the punt or not?

With these bloody fires and total fire bans, I haven't been able to have a decent BBQ in weeks. Got a new Sous Vide wand and a mountain of coal. Really need to crank a BBQ soon or I'm probably going to have to strangle a vegan.
Apparently you can still use an internal fireplace during a total fire ban. Which got me wondering... could you use that for cooking over an open fire during a total fire ban?

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Aldi's range of steaks? Wondering if they are worth the punt or not?

Apparently you can still use an internal fireplace during a total fire ban. Which got me wondering... could you use that for cooking over an open fire during a total fire ban?
Apparently their high end meat is ok value for money, yet avoid the value range.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Gas, yep. Combustibles, no. Mainly 'cause you can't do combustibles inside without poisoning yourself.

And it's just not the same without a proper BBQ.

In regard to Aldi meat, it's actually not bad at all. It's no 100 day waygu but for standard meat it's actually pretty good.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Here are the results.

View attachment 12178View attachment 12179View attachment 12180View attachment 12181
Man well done that looks insane, also notice the knife nice