BBQ Carnivore - Thread

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm completely into cooking steaks in the last 6 months.

I mean like not just putting a piece of meat on the pan and cooking it but really cooking it properly reverse sear or Sous Vide.

I've spent money and went out and bought a Weber Kettle, Cast Iron Skillet, Sous Vide machine, Thermometer - I'm a wannabe chef but I've learnt to master cooking a perfect medium rare Rib Eye/Scotch Fillet, the secret Sous Vide.

Also, attempting my first dry age Wagyu new york strips, I'm currently at week 3, will be Dry aging for 35 days in the fridge.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cooking steaks on the Weber Kettle, direct heat (of course), sensational. I don't really know what Sous Vide is, but I've just started researching :blush:

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Maaaaate, if you already know how to use a kettle on direct heat, sous vide is a game changer!! After sous vide, you can use your kettle to sear.

Sous vide will cook your steak to the precise internal temperature that you're after, and will never fail.
Cooking steaks on the Weber Kettle, direct heat (of course), sensational. I don't really know what Sous Vide is, but I've just started researching :blush:

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
FFS I'm completely into cooking steaks in the last 6 months.

I mean like not just putting a piece of meat on the pan and cooking it but really cooking it properly reverse sear or Sous Vide.

I've spent money and went out and bought a Weber Kettle, Cast Iron Skillet, Sous Vide machine, Thermometer - I'm a wannabe chef but I've learnt to master cooking a perfect medium rare Rib Eye/Scotch Fillet, the secret Sous Vide.

Also, attempting my first dry age Wagyu new york strips, I'm currently at week 3, will be Dry aging for 35 days in the fridge.
There is a real art in it isn't there mate. I haven't got into the dry aging yet.
I am liking slow cooking/smoking Briskit in the Weber.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I'm with you there
I got 2 weber kettles
I'm right into it.
Reverse sear is where it's at for a good day steak

I also love cooking beef shorties
Baby back pork ribs
Brisket

Chicken wings

Its an obsession

Trying out different rubs and sauces and cooking techniques

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
You need your scotch fillets on a coal BBQ mate, none of these gas or electrical conventional grills even come close.

A man with rings in the barbie is the closest thing you’ll get to a king at his throne.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm all about smoked brisket and Pastrami... I don't think we appreciate those two enough here in Australia

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There is a real art in it isn't there mate. I haven't got into the dry aging yet.
I am liking slow cooking/smoking Briskit in the Weber.
100% if you want to cook it right with the perfect internal temp, I've been doing all wrong my whole life.

The Dry aging is new to me and I'm only doing it because its piss easy. All you have to do is get one of these special bags, its not a normal vacuum seal bag, this bag is basically a membrane where it allows moisture to escape and not allow moisture back in, once seal you literally just leave it in your fridge for how ever long you want to age your meat.

I'm with you there
I got 2 weber kettles
I'm right into it.
Reverse sear is where it's at for a good day steak

I also love cooking beef shorties
Baby back pork ribs
Brisket

Chicken wings

Its an obsession

Trying out different rubs and sauces and cooking techniques
I have to try ribs next, but i sure do love cooking wings in the weber in-direct heat ;)

You need your scotch fillets on a coal BBQ mate, none of these gas or electrical conventional grills even come close.

A man with rings in the barbie is the closest thing you’ll get to a king at his throne.
Gas is for pussies, real men cook with coal lol

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Depends how it's cooked. If I'm not sous vide'ing it then I like using coals. If you sous vide it before hand then coals are going to ruin the steak as you need a quick sear. The other issue with coals is that you don't get the perfect crust that you get from a cast iron pan/grill. But the flavour is pure happiness.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
100% if you want to cook it right with the perfect internal temp, I've been doing all wrong my whole life.

The Dry aging is new to me and I'm only doing it because its piss easy. All you have to do is get one of these special bags, its not a normal vacuum seal bag, this bag is basically a membrane where it allows moisture to escape and not allow moisture back in, once seal you literally just leave it in your fridge for how ever long you want to age your meat.

I have to try ribs next, but i sure do love cooking wings in the weber in-direct heat ;)

Gas is for pussies, real men cook with coal lol
I'm really wanting to build myself a Wood Fired Pizza Oven. Been toying with the idea for a while, and not keen on paying the high $$ they have on them.

Will be able to do all kinds of nice wood style cooking in it.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

20191107_124514-2016x1512.jpg

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fucking wow.

I went to Costco a couple of weeks ago and got 2.5kg Wagyu Sirloin ended up being about $150.

I'd happily spend money for premium cuts of meat.
About $800 a kilo or some crap

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fucking wow.

I went to Costco a couple of weeks ago and got 2.5kg Wagyu Sirloin ended up being about $150.

I'd happily spend money for premium cuts of meat.
Yeah saw the other day someone said on one of the groups on Facebook oh nice $80 (cant remember exact price) a kilo nice, people were putting gin their orders just about then they realised the price was per 100gms or something lol.
Was still cheaper than what we can buy it.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
After sous vide you must sear it, either on a cast iron pan or bbq coal. Needs to be flaming hot, searing should only take 3 mins max.

Oh you can also sear with a chimney coal starter, bloody best thing ever.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
After sous vide you must sear it, either on a cast iron pan or bbq coal. Needs to be flaming hot, searing should only take 3 mins max.

Oh you can also sear with a chimney coal starter, bloody best thing ever.
I love my Chimney starter, best $20 ever hahaha. Save some money on them fire starter pieces of shit lol.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah saw the other day someone said on one of the groups on Facebook oh nice $80 (cant remember exact price) a kilo nice, people were putting gin their orders just about then they realised the price was per 100gms or something lol.
Was still cheaper than what we can buy it.
Mate buying in bulk is the way to go, you save much more money that way.

Cut them up and freezer it. Defrost steaks actually still taste fresh.

There is a meat joint in Waterloo area the meat emporium, I've been meaning to go but just haven't found the time.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mate buying in bulk is the way to go, you save much more money that way.

Cut them up and freezer it. Defrost steaks actually still taste fresh.

There is a meat joint in Waterloo area the meat emporium, I've been meaning to go but just haven't found the time.
I love a good steak but I aint paying that much for them haha.
There are some good spots around though to get em, pays to look around for sure.