BBQ Carnivore - Thread

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pfft, I’m doing authentic Italian meatballs in a slow cooker!!

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pfft, I’m doing authentic Italian meatballs in a slow cooker!!
Authentic?? My missus is Italian and of all the mafia dinners and family gatherings I have been to I have never seen them cooked in a slow cooker..!

That said, if they are delicious please share the recipe.:grinning:

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Authentic?? My missus is Italian and of all the mafia dinners and family gatherings I have been to I have never seen them cooked in a slow cooker..!

That said, if they are delicious please share the recipe.:grinning:
Haha u may be right. My Italian mate at work gave me help with recipe. Secret is adding a cooked eggplant in meat mixture. Keeps them nice and moist.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Haha u may be right. My Italian mate at work gave me help with recipe. Secret is adding a cooked eggplant in meat mixture. Keeps them nice and moist.
Delicious, but I won’t hijack the carnivore thread anymore!!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I started adding chargrilled eggplant to Bolognese a while back. Works surprisingly well.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
If you're looking for something like that, better off with a Kamado
Kamado joe Series 3 with the hinge lid and weather proofing - >$3k. You gunna convince me they're 4x better?

OJ's - good seal, good temp control, can hang meat. Only neg from what I can see is refilling charcoal is a bitch mid cook.

Plus its going on my new deck. 65 kgs vs 120kg?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Kamado joe Series 3 with the hinge lid and weather proofing - >$3k. You gunna convince me they're 4x better?

OJ's - good seal, good temp control, can hang meat. Only neg from what I can see is refilling charcoal is a bitch mid cook.

Plus its going on my new deck. 65 kgs vs 120kg?
Nah. There's similar options for cheaper. Bunnings so an 18 inch Kamado Joe for $900. But then you have to get the extras.

Alternatively you could do an Akorn Kamado which is insulated stainless steel/coated instead of ceramic, but is just as good as the Kamado Joe's. The downside being that there's not many add-ons available.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Nah. There's similar options for cheaper. Bunnings so an 18 inch Kamado Joe for $900. But then you have to get the extras.

Alternatively you could do an Akorn Kamado which is insulated stainless steel/coated instead of ceramic, but is just as good as the Kamado Joe's. The downside being that there's not many add-ons available.
KJ for $900 - series 1. Lid isn't hinged, seals are meh, if it rains u are fcked. Where I live, if its gunna rain in Sydney - its here. KJs are good but to me - just replaced the deck - not leaving 120kgs on it.

The akorn isn't bad - seals aren't considered fab. Sort of my view, well sealed you don't need ceramic, you'll hold the heat anyways.

Plus I sort of like the drum look - bit old school.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
New oklahoma joe drum, pork shoulder, mustard binder, sugar/paprika rub. Smoking on apple and cherry - so far so good. Took skin, chopped up and in oven for 3 hours. Then fried to make pork poppers for the pulled pork, coleslaw and pickle sliders later on.

Sorry no photos - forgot b4 I put it all on 8-)

Side note, popped into random butcher this morning and got a full beef rib rack (been trying for weeks to get these bad boys but everyone cuts them in half for short ribs). 7 ribs, all about a foot long. Bring on Australia Day.....

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My plan for today was lamb shoulder and pork shoulder on the BBQ with some potatoes and corn, and brining some brisket for pastrami.

So anyway, after 8 hours at the pub eating chicken wings, drinking beer and watching the UFC... I don't think I will be cooking today.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My plan for today was lamb shoulder and pork shoulder on the BBQ with some potatoes and corn, and brining some brisket for pastrami.

So anyway, after 8 hours at the pub eating chicken wings, drinking beer and watching the UFC... I don't think I will be cooking today.
If you can post perfectly on a forum after 8 hours at a pub, you can cook on a BBQ. Meat will be ready at about 3amish lol

Last edited:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Telling ya - if your doing pulled pork sliders - add the poppers - fckng amazing. Crunch and more salty pork taste.

Skin into 2" pieces - 120 in the oven for 3 hours. Fry em in Canola at 200C for 45 secs...

I believe I'm wet just posting this.....

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Telling ya - if your doing pulled pork sliders - add the poppers - fckng amazing. Crunch and more salty pork taste.

Skin into 2" pieces - 120 in the oven for 3 hours. Fry em in Canola at 200C for 45 secs...

I believe I'm wet just posting this.....
I usually chuck on Coleslaw with jalapenos.