BBQ Carnivore - Thread

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well gentlemen. On Tuesday, made an order for 5kg pork butt and 3 kg of USA pork ribs from this place.
Got a message late Tuesday night order was being processed. Got message on Thursday morning ready for pickup.

Walked in, just one dude working there. Paid by card, got my box and went home. Definitely wholesale type from the bags the meat was in - the butt was 6kg, not frozen, nice fat cap and blade in. Basically perfect. For $60. As an example - same - 4.5 - 5kg from Chop butchery - $95.

Ribs - weren't St. Louis style but filthy big back ribs. And consistent sized from one end to the other. Not perfect trimmed but similar to what u get from a butcher. $18.30 a kilo. Comparison? Vics do 1.5kg for $60. So basically half price on Vics.

If you are in Sydney and smoke meat - recommend. You can basically pay for delivery and would be so far in front of anywhere else its stupid. Wholesale prices for the masses boys. And best thing, you order 5kg they go over. Cannot stand it if you order 5 kg and end up with 4kg.

And simple as. Send em an email with what you want from their weekly price list with your details. Pay when they send u an invoice if getting delivered or pay by card on pick up at Taren Point. Only drawback is you cannot pick which ones you want but at that price - who cares.

Never buying meat anywhere else again.
I used to get Cape Grim from my local Butcher for $20 a kilo if i buy a whole piece, they have it for under $15 bloody hell

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I used to get Cape Grim from my local Butcher for $20 a kilo if i buy a whole piece, they have it for under $15 bloody hell
i know. big fan of local butchers but my guess is these guys go cost + x% - thats your price.

only drawbacks i can see are not seeing it b4 u buy it and probably hard to buy say four steaks - you'd have to go with 1 - 1.5kg and see how many u get.

otherwise - winner winner chicken dinner.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I got a pellet for Christmas from the misses and i haven't done a brisket yet, the timing is hard, as it can take 12 hours or maybe 16 it just depends, it makes it hard to time it for dinner, but those prices are so cheap, i feel like i have to buy something haha

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I got a pellet for Christmas from the misses and i haven't done a brisket yet, the timing is hard, as it can take 12 hours or maybe 16 it just depends, it makes it hard to time it for dinner, but those prices are so cheap, i feel like i have to buy something haha
Good thing with a pellet is you can set it up at midnight and let it run while you sleep till lunch the next day. If it's done too early for dinner just wrap in some towels and slap it in the esky till you're ready. It'll still be hot after 4 hours

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
well just got their latest price list. MB8+ wagyu point brisket for <$22/kg. In case u don't know what MB8+ looks like....
1675755180336.png

Probably can get a 3 - 4 kg point - cannot imagine a point is over 4kg unless its a point + flat.

Only a missus would buy someone a pellet smoker. Sigh....

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
So I think bacon is my next project. Any tips/lessons learned? Did you use a standard cut of pork belly, or pork belly with loin?
Standard but guess it just gets down to how u prefer your bacon.

Mine ended a little salty so whatever you are planning with salt, stay conservative (I used misty gully kosher).

Slicing it thin enough is a bitch.

My missus said I was curing dead animals in the fridge. Be prepared for the other half asking wtf????

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Standard but guess it just gets down to how u prefer your bacon.

Mine ended a little salty so whatever you are planning with salt, stay conservative (I used misty gully kosher).

Slicing it thin enough is a bitch.

My missus said I was curing dead animals in the fridge. Be prepared for the other half asking wtf????
Think I'll visit my fav butcher tomorrow and see what they got/recommend. Yeah, I don't have a meat slicer, so not sure how I'll deal with that stage. Anyhow, gotta get some pork belly first. And my wifey won't care, she's more of a carnivore than I am. She's gonna be disappointed that the pork belly will need to sit in the fridge for a week before the cooking starts.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Think I'll visit my fav butcher tomorrow and see what they got/recommend. Yeah, I don't have a meat slicer, so not sure how I'll deal with that stage. Anyhow, gotta get some pork belly first. And my wifey won't care, she's more of a carnivore than I am. She's gonna be disappointed that the pork belly will need to sit in the fridge for a week before the cooking starts.
If (when) i go there again - probably once done would freeze it whole and then slice thinly. That thick just takes too long to cook down when eating (prefer me some crispy with the bacon).

Be warned - once the brine kicks in - seriously looks like your storing body parts.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good thing with a pellet is you can set it up at midnight and let it run while you sleep till lunch the next day. If it's done too early for dinner just wrap in some towels and slap it in the esky till you're ready. It'll still be hot after 4 hours
Some Pellet grills have a hold function, when the meat gets to temp it’ll lower the pit to 70C and hold it till you’re ready.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Anybody had the burnt ends from Coles? Their regular brisket goes alright so I imagine the burnt ends go hard.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
View attachment 65890

Work from home benefit. Stick a hunk of pork butt in the Weber in the morning, and then occasionally check the temps over the next 10 or so hours.
Lolz - so had a bit of a pork butt fail. 6kg (and 3 people in the family go figure). Started at 10am yesterday. Still not at temp by 2am this morning at which time I double wrapped in foil and stuck in the oven overnight. Fired up the bbq this morning (yep WFH too) and finally done at 5pm this afternoon. 1 hour rest and...

Screenshot 2023-03-06 195333.png

Carolina mustard sauce, brioches, coleslaw and a family of 3. Think I'm eating pork for the next month...

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lolz - so had a bit of a pork butt fail. 6kg (and 3 people in the family go figure). Started at 10am yesterday. Still not at temp by 2am this morning at which time I double wrapped in foil and stuck in the oven overnight. Fired up the bbq this morning (yep WFH too) and finally done at 5pm this afternoon. 1 hour rest and...

View attachment 66068

Carolina mustard sauce, brioches, coleslaw and a family of 3. Think I'm eating pork for the next month...
Haha, that's quite an epic cook. The one I cooked was about 4kg for 2 peeps and we got 4 leftover meals. Taco's, Sangas, Pizzas and Chilli. Was all great but I don't need see or eat pulled pork anything for about 3 months :grinning:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Beef short ribs on the go. Texas rub with chilli with a mustard base (thought I'd dodge the hot sauce as this rub has some kick).

Doing a german potato salad on the side.

See ya in 8-9 hours...

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Beef short ribs on the go. Texas rub with chilli with a mustard base (thought I'd dodge the hot sauce as this rub has some kick).

Doing a german potato salad on the side.

See ya in 8-9 hours...
Please do!

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sure - you'll have to put up with my missus though (and trust me - the ribs aren't worth it)....
Dooges I’ll put up with anything for a Texas rub with chilli with a mustard base on my body but not necessarily to eat so i will heed your warning..and will look forward to seeing a picture so I can wan.. sorry salivate over it!! :hearteyes: