BBQ Carnivore - Thread

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can you smoke it low and slow?
Yep. But you want to treat it like a chicken. Make sure you brine it first in a good marinade for 12-24 hours to get the moisture in there. Then only smoke it for about 2 - 2.5 hours. Rest it for at least 30 minutes wrapped in foil with a little added moisture.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Went to meatstock last weekend. Gorged myself in samples. Ended up with a heap of hit Sauces and BBQ Sauces, and some awesome truffle butter finishing salt.

Also entered a competition to win $150 worth of meat and I won. Now if only I had actual time to bbq.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Went to meatstock last weekend. Gorged myself in samples. Ended up with a heap of hit Sauces and BBQ Sauces, and some awesome truffle butter finishing salt.

Also entered a competition to win $150 worth of meat and I won. Now if only I had actual time to bbq.
Simple - spend the $150 on offal for some of the CVD 19 posters. They'd appreciate it.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking of trying rabbit.

Has anyone every cooked it, or eaten it.
Love to hear how you like to cook it and what its like.
My aussie great grandmother used to make rabbit and duck all the time used to love it,still remember chewing through the odd shotgun pellet in the rabbit

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My aussie great grandmother used to make rabbit and duck all the time used to love it,still remember chewing through the odd shotgun pellet in the rabbit
When I worked as a chef I had an apprentice from China. He worked as a medic in the Chinese army and he told me about how they used to catch these diseased dogs on the street and they would practice medical procedures on them. After the dogs would all be thrown into this skip bin. He said it was the most disgusting thing. It stank worse than anything you could imagine. Disease filled rotting dog corpses.

On day he was eating the standard lunch hotpot in the mess hall and he found a medical suture in a piece of meat. He realised that they must have gone to the skip bin after they dumped the dogs and harvested what they could for the hotpot. He said that he became a vegetarian that day. Until he left the army. Then he went on a full on meat binge.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
When I worked as a chef I had an apprentice from China. He worked as a medic in the Chinese army and he told me about how they used to catch these diseased dogs on the street and they would practice medical procedures on them. After the dogs would all be thrown into this skip bin. He said it was the most disgusting thing. It stank worse than anything you could imagine. Disease filled rotting dog corpses.

On day he was eating the standard lunch hotpot in the mess hall and he found a medical suture in a piece of meat. He realised that they must have gone to the skip bin after they dumped the dogs and harvested what they could for the hotpot. He said that he became a vegetarian that day. Until he left the army. Then he went on a full on meat binge.
Let just see how the pastrami goes - fckng missed my temp alarm and it went 5C over. On the cool down atm but might end up worse.

Although tbh, a work colleague went to Norway for a conference a while ago and bought back some cans of fermented shark. Open plan office, opened two cans in the kitchen. Swear to god that if there is anything in the world that smells worse than that, I just don't want to know about it. Within 5 mins had people from the other end of the building coming down and going, wtf is that smell. It carried up through the lifts and air con to other floors as well. And hung around for 2 days.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Let just see how the pastrami goes - fckng missed my temp alarm and it went 5C over. On the cool down atm but might end up worse.

Although tbh, a work colleague went to Norway for a conference a while ago and bought back some cans of fermented shark. Open plan office, opened two cans in the kitchen. Swear to god that if there is anything in the world that smells worse than that, I just don't want to know about it. Within 5 mins had people from the other end of the building coming down and going, wtf is that smell. It carried up through the lifts and air con to other floors as well. And hung around for 2 days.
They Durian. Asians generally find it to be delicious. Personally I think it smells like someone ate the most rotten eggs they could find and farted them out.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

You tried this? I'll give a lot of things a go but this scares the fuck out of me .when you can't open it in house due to the smell I'm out...

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
You tried this? I'll give a lot of things a go but this scares the fuck out of me .when you can't open it in house due to the smell I'm out...
Bro - I'm the idiot that when another colleague turned up with carolina reaper jerky from the US - went a full stick in one go. No milk, cucumber etc. Fckng nearly died.

Haven't tried any of the fish but gave the shark a go. U sort of couldn't taste anything, it was all smell. And the texture was like tofu.

Was told by to go get some listerine afterwards as no one could talk to me. I did. It didn't help.

@Hacky McAxe - tried Durian - yeah - bit special. Next on my revolting list is a century egg. Heard thats interesting as well.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bro - I'm the idiot that when another colleague turned up with carolina reaper jerky from the US - went a full stick in one go. No milk, cucumber etc. Fckng nearly died.

Haven't tried any of the fish but gave the shark a go. U sort of couldn't taste anything, it was all smell. And the texture was like tofu.

Was told by to go get some listerine afterwards as no one could talk to me. I did. It didn't help.

@Hacky McAxe - tried Durian - yeah - bit special. Next on my revolting list is a century egg. Heard thats interesting as well.
Same apprentice I was talking about earlier went in an eating contest. He wasn't doing too well but was keeping up. Last course was a century egg. Everyone else backed out. He ate his then asked if he could eat the other contestant's eggs. In China it's a delicacy. He kept trying to explain to me how it's one of the best things he's ever eaten and I just kept calling him a freak.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Same apprentice I was talking about earlier went in an eating contest. He wasn't doing too well but was keeping up. Last course was a century egg. Everyone else backed out. He ate his then asked if he could eat the other contestant's eggs. In China it's a delicacy. He kept trying to explain to me how it's one of the best things he's ever eaten and I just kept calling him a freak.
Hear same. But it looks just wrong and the smell is I believe interesting. For those not knowing what we are talking about - would u eat this?
1652518431467.png

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hear same. But it looks just wrong and the smell is I believe interesting. For those not knowing what we are talking about - would u eat this?
View attachment 50253
A picture doesn't do it justice.

Imagine that your grandmother just died. But the night before she died, she went out and ate all the most lethal curries you could ever eat. And while dying, she shit herself and the smell is so bad that people two blocks over are throwing up. And her shit is an egg. Would you eat it?

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
A picture doesn't do it justice.

Imagine that your grandmother just died. But the night before she died, she went out and ate all the most lethal curries you could ever eat. And while dying, she shit herself and the smell is so bad that people two blocks over are throwing up. And her shit is an egg. Would you eat it?
Me - straight up.
@south of heaven - only with chicken salt.

But he's strange so not really a surprise.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Well. The pastrami experiment is finished.
Good points:
- fckng delicious and will do it again.
- did this in the oven. On the smoker is probably next level.
- missus has refused to even look at it as she saw it in the fridge and reckon'd I'm eating someones liver. More for me.
Bad points:
- need to be more selective with the brisket. The fat interlayer was a pain - made basically half of it unsliceable and not enough meat on the to bother.
- and probably pay more attention in cleaning it up first. The yellow fat extrusions aren't appealing but ain't eating that anyways

pastrami.jpg

Onto bacon next.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well. The pastrami experiment is finished.
Good points:
- fckng delicious and will do it again.
- did this in the oven. On the smoker is probably next level.
- missus has refused to even look at it as she saw it in the fridge and reckon'd I'm eating someones liver. More for me.
Bad points:
- need to be more selective with the brisket. The fat interlayer was a pain - made basically half of it unsliceable and not enough meat on the to bother.
- and probably pay more attention in cleaning it up first. The yellow fat extrusions aren't appealing but ain't eating that anyways

View attachment 50256

Onto bacon next.
Nice. I used silverside when I did pastrami. I'm going out tomorrow to some of my fav butcher's around the place and I'm going to pick up a brisket or 2. Not sure how I'll cook'em yet.