Bathrooms, Showers and Condensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Got a question for everyone here.

The rental we are in (brand new home), has a shower in both ensuite and a main bathroom.

Wifey uses ensuite and I use main bathroom.

Neither have exhaust fans at all in them, which leads to heaps of condensation running down the walls whilst having a shower.

We've tried leaving the doors open having a shower but that makes no difference.

In the ensuite you can crack the window a tiny bit, but that makes no difference.

In the main bathroom, because of a completely stupid design the window is in line with the shower. Thus opening the window in the main shower, if next door neighbours don't have blinds drawn (or their kids look out), they could see straight into the main shower. As such that window stays closed.

So the question here is, will the condensation cause any issues? It does appear to leave watermarks (at angles) on the paint. The paint job was shit anyway and probably watered down, so I don't imagine it's decent anti fungicidal paint or anything.

Not 100% sure what to do... I'm more concerned about water dripping from the light fittings / LED globes we fitted when there is a shower.

Appreciate any thoughts or comments on this one.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Can’t you put in venitians on the window so no one sees you?

And imho most places built these days should not be passed by the building code. Building a bathroom or laundry without a window is stupid and should not be allowed. Makes no sense at all. And bathrooms with no exhausts? Fk me the mind boggles

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why no ventilation was not put in a new home is beyond me, paint a new house every 2 weeks and never not seen fans either above shower or with lights/heat lamps
Condensation will fuck shit eventually, I ring the real estate to be honest
Mould will grow, if paint lifts and moisture gets in plaster joints (I assume they didn't use normal gyprock in wet areas) it will get fucked n all downhill from there bud
Ring real estate n cover your ass at least

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
So what’s the problem it’s a rental who cares.
Nothing would happen to the walls if that’s what your worried about.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Why no ventilation was not put in a new home is beyond me, paint a new house every 2 weeks and never not seen fans either above shower or with lights/heat lamps
Mould will grow, if paint lifts the gyprock will get fucked n all downhill from there bud
My Aunty recently bought a unit and it took her almost a year to find an apartment around the Canterbury area that had a window as a min in the bathroom. Most of these dodgy places being built around there and other areas recently don’t have windows or exhaust fans. It’s not a law. Absolute bullshit.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Mould will grow, if paint lifts and moisture gets in plaster joints (I assume they didn't use normal gyprock in wet areas) it will get fucked n all downhill from there bud
Only thing I can think is for the builder to save on costs. Downstairs powder room has a fan, as does the upstairs toilet (because neither have windows). Yet somehow a window in a bathroom is considered acceptable ventilation (despite major privacy issues if open when showering).

It's a BASX6 (?) rated build, and I doubt costs have been shaved. The House and Land package would have been about $800-$850k, and all up now the place would be worth close to a million... and we are the first tenants.

To be honest I hadn't noticed it much (during summer at least), but maybe thats because of the air temps not creating condensation.

Then again with this all said, the builder put a door around the wrong friggin way (light switch is behind the door LOL), and we've already had plumbing issues where builders rubble blocked the waer water pipe between upstairs and downstairs (builder yet to replaster the walls from that).

But yeah it was more wondering how it could be resolved, and if it will cause major issues like it is.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The LL might play the jew card and blame you.

Just make a formal call to the agent and they have to make a report and notify the LL.

Even the worst agents with half a brain would recommend an IXL heat/light/fan being installed.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
It’s a health hazard so i would care. Once mould starts to form you’re fkd.
Mr I was worried about dripping water from ceiling, but mould won’t form if you air the bathroom, and his got a window that can be opened after a shower.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It'll result in mould mainly on the roof. That becomes a health hazard so you could probably force them to install exhausts but that would result in you missing one bathroom for a while.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mr I was worried about dripping water from ceiling, but mould won’t form if you air the bathroom, and his got a window that can be opened after a shower.
That's a good point. Airing it may stop mould from forming depending how much condensation builds up.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Got a question for everyone here.

The rental we are in (brand new home), has a shower in both ensuite and a main bathroom.

Wifey uses ensuite and I use main bathroom.

Neither have exhaust fans at all in them, which leads to heaps of condensation running down the walls whilst having a shower.

We've tried leaving the doors open having a shower but that makes no difference.

In the ensuite you can crack the window a tiny bit, but that makes no difference.

In the main bathroom, because of a completely stupid design the window is in line with the shower. Thus opening the window in the main shower, if next door neighbours don't have blinds drawn (or their kids look out), they could see straight into the main shower. As such that window stays closed.

So the question here is, will the condensation cause any issues? It does appear to leave watermarks (at angles) on the paint. The paint job was shit anyway and probably watered down, so I don't imagine it's decent anti fungicidal paint or anything.

Not 100% sure what to do... I'm more concerned about water dripping from the light fittings / LED globes we fitted when there is a shower.

Appreciate any thoughts or comments on this one.
As you are renting, this is definitely an issue for your landlord. Tell him the situation and why you don't want the windows open.

This isn't a big job so a sparky can purchase + install a fan for a combined $100 a pot, but the expense should go to your landlord.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
2 things.

Opening the window in winter when your having a shower, will make the condensation issue worse. Water condenses when it’s cold. Making the room colder, is a bad thing.
Also,
If the rooms been waterproofed properly, condensation isn’t going to be an issue.

Honestly though, you should be asking for ventilation to be installed, as a constantly damp surface is a breeding ground for mold.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can’t believe there’s no fan installed. Dodgy construction builders man.... not many left that are driven by good design, most are driven by profit.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Can’t believe there’s no fan installed. Dodgy construction builders man.... not many left that are driven by good design, most are driven by profit.
It depends man. My home was done the by a team who did it the proper way. Nothing dodgy about it... but not fan was installed in the bathroom.

Within weeks we had a sparky over and had one installed.

Very simple job, very simple fix. It's just that the landlord should pay for it, not the tenant.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It depends man. My home was done the by a team who did it the proper way. Nothing dodgy about it... but not fan was installed in the bathroom.

Within weeks we had a sparky over and had one installed.

Very simple job, very simple fix. It's just that the landlord should pay for it, not the tenant.
Yeah of course landlord should pay for it. Just sometimes it takes a while to get those things done with property managers because most people that are
In the real estate industry managing property are not skilled/trained.. just woeful. Fans should be made compulsory in building standards IMO.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yeah of course landlord should pay for it. Just sometimes it takes a while to get those things done with property managers because most people that are
In the real estate industry managing property are not skilled/trained.. just woeful. Fans should be made compulsory in building standards IMO.
But in @Mr Invisible's case it's different because his landlord lives next door. All he has to do is ring the doorbell. Stuff going through a Real Estate agent.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
When I first read the title I thought it read bathrooms,golden showers and condensation.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Dunno about that mate. Just renovated my bathroom and I have the window open when showering and all day and after 2 months a little mould has started to form on the silicone which is meant to be mould resistant

Status
Not open for further replies.