Bateman = Whats wrong with NRL these Days

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Refer to Batemans side of story the Article below..

He has signed a contract.. The Raiders did a good deal with Bateman - he was unproven in the NRL when they signed him but hes done really well so far..

Bateman signed the contract.. He says he can get more elsewhere now and hes looking after his kids.. Nothing wrong with that once his contract is up, but until then the Raiders shouldnt be forced to upgrade him or let him explore the market.. He has a contract..

How many times do clubs sign players on decent or big cash and the player fails to deliver..

Until player contracts mean somthing its all a joke..

My opinion is Bateman and playwes like him should be made to see out their deals, they can explore their options on the market in the final year of their contracts..

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/2233f7afe1dd572ad252ec68b848ab9c

Last edited:

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

He has signed a contract.. The Raiders did a good deal with Bateman - he was unproven in the NRL when they signed him but hes done really well so far..

Bateman signed the contract.. He says he can get more elsewhere now and hes looking after his kids.. Nothing wrong with that once his contract is up, but until then the Raidees shouldnt be forced to upgrade him or let him explore the market.. He has a contract..

How many times do clubs sign players on decent or bog cash and the player fails to deliver..

My opinion is Bateman and playwes like him should be made to see out their deals, they can explore their options on the market in the final year of their contracts..

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/2233f7afe1dd572ad252ec68b848ab9c
I sincerely disagree. Players have a limited time to maximise their earning potential. He has clearly outperformed his current contract and is seeking a raise. The Raiders upgraded CNK last year when he did the same.
As fans we get emotional about players talking contracts and potentially leaving but we do it ourselves all the time. If you perform well at work you ask for a raise and there’s nothing wrong with that

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I obviously don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but from what I've seen and heard the raiders have tabled something like a 600k three year deal and are supportive of him if he can secure a massive pay day, he doesn't seem to be kicking stones about anything and has come out saying he loves the club.

Don't see what the big deal is

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I sincerely disagree. Players have a limited time to maximise their earning potential. He has clearly outperformed his current contract and is seeking a raise. The Raiders upgraded CNK last year when he did the same.
As fans we get emotional about players talking contracts and potentially leaving but we do it ourselves all the time. If you perform well at work you ask for a raise and there’s nothing wrong with that
Theres a difference in asking for a pay rise .. and expecting one when you can get more elsewhere - when you have a current contract in place..

If the Raiders (its been us before) have no salary cap space and cant upgrade him now as theyve budgeted paying him a certain amount that hes agreed to.. why should they be pressured to release him from his current contract..

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Theres a difference in asking for a pay rise .. and expecting one when you can get more elsewhere - when you have a current contract in place..

If the Raiders (its been us before) have no salary cap space and cant upgrade him now as theyve budgeted paying him a certain amount that hes agreed to.. why should they be pressured to release him from his current contract..
That's why 2 year deals are the go these days. Have good juniors and good systems in place and things can look after themselves. High turnover is prominent, but you try keep a core group together. I also believe the NRL should employ player agents and have checks and balances in place to enforce sanctions if they leak info to journos etc

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The answer is simply because contracts can be renegotiated.
I see why this would be annoying to you. NRL clubs don’t have that much leverage in situations like this. The best they can do is be like the 90’s Bulls and say once you sign the deal don’t come back and ask me for more later. You can’t even get any real compensation if you want to offload a disgruntled player. If NRL contracts weren’t fully guaranteed the clubs would be in a much stronger position

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah i agree. Its a real shit storm.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Look at it thus way, if it’s ok for players to whinge about a contract as they think they are worth more, should clubs be able to do it when the players turn to shit/under perform.
I don’t agree with what they do here and it sounds like it’s more the managers these days. You sign on the dotted line, no one is holding a gun to their head. It’s good enough for you then....

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Look at it thus way, if it’s ok for players to whinge about a contract as they think they are worth more, should clubs be able to do it when the players turn to shit/under perform.
I don’t agree with what they do here and it sounds like it’s more the managers these days. You sign on the dotted line, no one is holding a gun to their head. It’s good enough for you then....
Well the Raiders were kind of asking for this allowing a renegotiation clause in his contract when he first singed. I just want to be on the other end of this for once and a actually pull a top player.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
He has a new manager who is getting zip from current contract.. If players are happy for contracts to be moved or scrapped. Players should give the ok for a trade and draft system. He wants a bugger deal than why should Canberra miss out. Trade him to the dogs we send equal value back and upgrade his deal.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes the part I agree with is when the player can get more they blackmail the club to pay them more or to let them go like klem did but when a player hasn’t delivered like foran they just hang around till they get all their $$ very one sided

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure Bateman is a good example of what it wrong with player contracts, I might be reading this wrong but I think he's doing the exact right thing by himself and the Raiders. He's given them effort, commitment and most importantly value for money. The fact his effort has increased his value is neither parties fault, but it's a boon for Bateman and he wants to take advantage of that. If you increase your worth by completing a course or diploma, wouldn't you want to take advantage of that and seek more money? I know I would.

Josh Dugan is a better example of what is wrong with players and contracts. When has he ever given value for money?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
If that's the case, then players on big cash who play like shit should have their payment drastically slashed - like Foran. Sounds silly right?

Malla

Reaction score
I think I am on Batemans side.

He had a break out year, is clearly the best backrower in the NRL and probably the world, yet is on a low/average deal. He would have did the right thing and approached Raiders for a re-negotiation so his salary matches his market value, seems as though Raiders didn't want a bar of it. What did Raiders then do? Signed Ropana and there was talks of him playing in the back row off the bench lol if you're Bateman, you are looking at the situation thinking I play 80 minutes, I asked for more and you said there is no money then go ahead and sign Rapana lol.

To be fair as well, I don't think Raiders need to pay Bateman top dollar. Papalii and Hodges carry them through the middle and make Bateman and co's lives easier on the edge. Wouldn't be surprised if Bateman comes to us and ends up being a flop.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Bateman signed the contract.. He says he can get more elsewhere now and hes looking after his kids.. Nothing wrong with that once his contract is up, but until then the Raidees shouldnt be forced to upgrade him or let him explore the market.. He has a contract..

How many times do clubs sign players on decent or bog cash and the player fails to deliver..

There are a heap of issues that stem from players and contracts these days - but I am not sure I would put Bateman in the same category of a lot of players at the moment.

The word is that he has a clause in his contract his allows him to renegotiate. If this is true, then fair enough. He has every right too.

But I do agree we are seeing far too much of this, and it's agents who are getting into players heads far too much.

Whilst I disagree with you -if a player signs a contract for X, live up to your word and sign - I see the CNK example slightly differently. He did not have a guaranteed future at the Warriors, signed with Canberra out of desperation to ensure he had a contract past his current - the Raiders took a punt on him, signed him on the cheap, and he's killing it at the moment. Could he get better money elsewhere? Of course. However, it was Canberra who took the punt, and he has signed, and that's the bottom line. The problem I have with this example, and players in this situation - is that they failing to see what clubs have done for them. He was behind RTS at the Warriors, had less than 12 months on his current contract - here comes Canberra, offering him for the rest of his contract + 1 year.

When players ask for an increase in these instances, it's like hold on a minute. You signed with us, and you got what you wanted at the time - which was an opportunity to play PLUS an extra year on your contract deal. Why is it now that, you are playing well for us - we should re-negotiate on the terms you agreed to cause you had no other choice? Luckily Canberra re-negotiated, because they were in a position to do so. But a club has every right to hold the to the terms they signed for.

Personally - I think this is a combination of two things:

1) This generation who feels like they are entitled to everything. The self-centered approach where being a man on your word isn't a worth a dime
2) Agents trying to take advantage of players, getting in their ear, seeking out their own self-interest for a few extra $$, disguised as getting a better deal for their client.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This is not a one sided story where it's only players that want out of their contracts. Clubs do it as well, "sorry, you aren't in our plans going forward, suggest you find another club, because you will be playing paddock football for the remainder of your contract, no one will see you and your value will drop in the market. Whereas leave now while you still have some value." Happens far more often then we hear about it.

In my view there is something going on between Canberra and JBateman as plainly he's worth more. So it seems a no brainer to offer him a small increase this year, cancel his existing contract for next year and sign a new larger contract for the next 2 or 3 years. They have 10 players in Cotric, Frawley, Kris, Medlyn, Niko, O'Donnell, Oldfield, Soliola, Starling and Subloo off contract this year. Other than Cotric, who on that list is a must keep? Soliola is 34 so not on my list of musts. That's well over $2m freed up, how they can't afford to toss a couple hundred $000's at JBateman is beyond me. Something smells and if I was a Cap auditor I'd be all over it.

Go Dogs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I honestly don't have any idea about the truth of the reports that Bateman is seeking a rise from 580k to 800k. But that's roughly a 40% rise. The trouble with actually coming to the party in this situation for Canberra would be in the fact that they've gone from a middle tier team to a grand final participant. Many of their players might also think they deserve a payrise after last year.

So whether it's fair to Bateman to deny him a payrise, giving him one puts them in dicey territory with other players potentially feeling hard done by.

If I was running a clubs salary cap, I'd withhold the 5% that the NRL allows without pulling the money from the cap and let players know that it will be spread in bonuses to a set number of players who earn it through work ethic and performance.

It's a sad situation when players can spit the dummy after having a good year and pressure clubs to offer pay rises. It was pretty disheartening as a fan to see Benita Barba, Davinda Klemmer etc seek out. It was also a bit sad seeing us cut someone like James Graham loose who was a player I saw as part of the heart of our club. So both players and the club's are prone to a lack of loyalty these days. Loyalty is increasingly becoming a trait that only fans possess.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If I was running a clubs salary cap, I'd withhold the 5% that the NRL allows without pulling the money from the cap and let players know that it will be spread in bonuses to a set number of players who earn it through work ethic and performance.
The Salary Cap doesn't allow a "general fund to be distributed based on performance". Each player's contract has to specifically state exactly their contracted value. Any "bonuses" have to have the maximum value allocated to them and that value is what is included in the Cap. If they actually get paid less than the maximum it doesn't matter, the NRL only recognises the maximum possible value in the Cap.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’d normally agree on keeping your word (and signature) and honouring your contract but Bateman has a clause that allows him to seek an annual re-valuation of his salary - and that’s on the Raiders who agreed to those terms. He is simply exercising his rights under his agreement, so no issue with that and likely why Don Furner has said he’s free to field offers for 2021 - otherwise the Raiders would’ve simply said ‘he’s under contract and not going anywhere before 2022’.

Clubs need to be very careful about what they allow in agreements to attract talent given it can come back to bite them on the arse - just look at our back ended agreements and ratchet clauses (which have now been eliminated).