Official Bateman signs with Wigan.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
As hard as it’s gonna be I think we try and get some blokes cheap who can’t get a run at their current clubs (eg matt Burton, Corey Allen) and let the cap roll over until there’s more on the market and hopefully we have a bit of stability to attract them, gonna be a few more tough years I reckon
Yeah that’s what it looks like. But given you Have to use 95% of the cap are we front loading some contracts or just paying overs for average to below average guys? That was always my biggest fear in this.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
As hard as it’s gonna be I think we try and get some blokes cheap who can’t get a run at their current clubs (eg matt Burton, Corey Allen) and let the cap roll over until there’s more on the market and hopefully we have a bit of stability to attract them, gonna be a few more tough years I reckon
That's it man, opportunistic signings are what we need, good players who can't get a run or aren't in there preferred position because of doing what's best for the team... Cotric, Hughes, Smith are the 3 that come to mind. But filling the rest of the squad needs to occur with savvy signings on players like Liam Martin who's only starting due to injury etc... The dogs flaunted the oh we will play our juniors and young fellas who want an opportunity come to us. So many young hookers we missed out on and Pays not willing to play some of our best rookies at all largely due to top 30 and development...
As much as it sucks our bottom line isn't good enough yet. Cheers for the Bateman rumour also, even though it wasn't to be it gave us something to be optimistic about for a while.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
dont act like we didnt over him $800k when we did, that was stupid enough as it is... the only reason we didnt sign him is because he wanted to go back to England. your precious Aunty Lynne was prepared to pay as you said "an insane" amount of money for a back rower... he never asked for $900k so dont add GST so it fits your narrative that this incompetent board are all high and mighty.
Lol wake up UnReal1 the situation is clear cut. He wants to go home for family reasons and the only way he could’ve possibly been enticed to stay was for monumental contract overs. Which in the event that if we did pay it then I’m sure you’d be one of the first to complain as well.

Any excuse for a whinge.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Word is he didn’t want to call us first for an offer. Disagreed with Katoa.

For some reason he thought it was a sign we where ran by muppets.

Oh that and it’s closing in on 2021 and we still have no major recruitments to get away from the spoon, no sponsor, no coach, no replacement for chn or okunbor. Not sure what he’s thinking. Everyone knows you recruit some quality players after the other 15 clubs do in the previous 9 months...

Though we have a war chest! DNA! Madness!
We have signed Thompson. We do need more signings but you say we signed nobody. And im pretty sure Thompson has no bulldogs DNA so yeh.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Also, my thought is since he was offered decent money by more than 1 club here to stay in the NRL, and still signed with ESL, is that he was homesick and was just pumping up his price to go home. Sure hes a decent player, but the NRL might be too much for him physically, he kept breaking.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's it man, opportunistic signings are what we need, good players who can't get a run or aren't in there preferred position because of doing what's best for the team... Cotric, Hughes, Smith are the 3 that come to mind. But filling the rest of the squad needs to occur with savvy signings on players like Liam Martin who's only starting due to injury etc... The dogs flaunted the oh we will play our juniors and young fellas who want an opportunity come to us. So many young hookers we missed out on and Pays not willing to play some of our best rookies at all largely due to top 30 and development...
As much as it sucks our bottom line isn't good enough yet. Cheers for the Bateman rumour also, even though it wasn't to be it gave us something to be optimistic about for a while.
Yeah mate let’s hope we can find a few diamonds in the rough for the time being, no matter how frustrated with the club I get I’ll always believe it’ll get better sooner or later

And no worries for the rumor haha hopefully I’ll have some more soon, haven’t heard much in terms of signings lately

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Parra have done well to finally climb back into contention. But it took them years of trying diff players etc.
Mahoney Brown Sivo 3 players top of my head who were given an opportunity and have gone to another level while we wasted 2-3 yrs on lewis cogger Meaney Jmk
They also did extremely well to identify talent like Lane , bring in Moses, Ferguson matterson etc
The difference is their coach has a top footy brain amd we have Pay.
Eels board have been useless for many many years too..

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Think this has more to do with his daughter than money or clubs. He obviously didn’t think it was going to be this hard being away

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Parra have done well to finally climb back into contention. But it took them years of trying diff players etc.
Mahoney Brown Sivo 3 players top of my head who were given an opportunity and have gone to another level while we wasted 2-3 yrs on lewis cogger Meaney Jmk
They also did extremely well to identify talent like Lane , bring in Moses, Ferguson matterson etc
The difference is their coach has a top footy brain amd we have Pay.
Eels board have been useless for many many years too..
Eels coach got lucky, he is terrible

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll be uncorking a bottle this evening to celebrate the fact that we refused to pay an insane amount (900k+) for a back rower.

We may have a war chest but that doesn’t give the green light to go spending it in a rash manner. We’ve learnt from our mistakes of the past it seems.
The only player we should even be thinking of offering $900,000 for is Grant.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The only player we should even be thinking of offering $900,000 for is Grant.
It’s difficult to get a read on Grants market value but I agree that sort of money has to go towards a spine player.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the Grant scenario, so if CSmith retires then BSmith takes over from him at hooker which still leaves Grant on the outer. Either on the bench as a back up hooker, really, or not playing NRL at all, equally really. I know BSmith can play elsewhere in the forwards but with the game how it is now (6 again and other shit) I'm not convinced that's the best use of the NZ hooker. Smith is signed until the end of 2022 so it's not like Grant will get an opportunity next year. Maybe our play is to offer them both a gig, play them off against each other, and see if BSmith is scared that Grant is gunna take his position or if Grant is afraid that he's gunna get stuck behind BSmith.

"Look how great Grant is going at the Tigers he's gunna come back next year and take your spot".
"CSmith is gunna play on for another year, then Grant is definitely gunna take your spot in 2022".
"Bellamy is retiring next year, so he's not going to be there to save you, the new coach will give the hooking role to Grant".

"Listen Grant, BSmith is the reigning NZ hooker do you really think they are going to let you take an International's Spot".
"CSmith is gunna play on for another year at 1/2 with BSmith at hooker. You have no chance of even getting onto the bench".
"Bellamy is retiring next year, so whatever promises he made for when you come back he's not going to be there to keep them, the new coach will give the hooking role to BSmith".

Get inside their heads, get them hating each other and looking for every sign that they are second choice.

Go Dogs

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the Grant scenario, so if CSmith retires then BSmith takes over from him at hooker which still leaves Grant on the outer. Either on the bench as a back up hooker, really, or not playing NRL at all, equally really. I know BSmith can play elsewhere in the forwards but with the game how it is now (6 again and other shit) I'm not convinced that's the best use of the NZ hooker. Smith is signed until the end of 2022 so it's not like Grant will get an opportunity next year. Maybe our play is to offer them both a gig, play them off against each other, and see if BSmith is scared that Grant is gunna take his position or if Grant is afraid that he's gunna get stuck behind BSmith.

"Look how great Grant is going at the Tigers he's gunna come back next year and take your spot".
"CSmith is gunna play on for another year, then Grant is definitely gunna take your spot in 2022".
"Bellamy is retiring next year, so he's not going to be there to save you, the new coach will give the hooking role to Grant".

"Listen Grant, BSmith is the reigning NZ hooker do you really think they are going to let you take an International's Spot".
"CSmith is gunna play on for another year at 1/2 with BSmith at hooker. You have no chance of even getting onto the bench".
"Bellamy is retiring next year, so whatever promises he made for when you come back he's not going to be there to keep them, the new coach will give the hooking role to BSmith".

Get inside their heads, get them hating each other and looking for every sign that they are second choice.

Go Dogs
Unfortunately I really don’t think there’s a play there I think smith will retire, grant to hooker and smith goes into the forward pack, if any other team will get either of them it’s the tigers

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Go Dogs
7. C. Smith
9. Grant
13. B. Smith

If Smith retires Storm have more money to retain Grant and B. Smith.

Grant will come down to money. Other clubs will be offering him a lot more than the Storm.
B. Smith will come down to money and/or if he wants to play hooker.

We should be going hard for both Grant and B. Smith to at least make others pay more.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
That's it mate. As others have said we need to target good players who cant get a run in their preferred position - Cotriic, Burton and Smith are 3 prime examples of this
I remember reading somewhere that B Smith was promised the hooking role once Cam retired, but you'd imagine now that Grant would be the starting hooker, so it looks like there will be a showdown soon. One of them will be pissed so we need to go after them. The other option would be Mahoney but he would be he 3rd option.
Hopefully someone on the board is looking into this.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why are people crying like Muppets about this? Was obviously a long shot with him missing his daughter over there.
I think people are allowed to have a cry. We've had FOUR long years of utter shite and no one can see any change coming.

If we can't piss moan and cry after FOUR years of turd we will never be allowed to.