Barrett's too nice

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be paying out Datsuns.. My uncle had a yellow 120Y that flew. Although the braking and handling weren't great. Haha
When you said " My uncle HAD a yellow 120Y that flew. Although the braking and handling weren't great." Is he still with us? or was that his last car?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When you said " My uncle HAD a yellow 120Y that flew. Although the braking and handling weren't great." Is he still with us? or was that his last car?
We had many a near death experiences but survived every time. That's why I have a soft spot for the Datsun. It was also the first car I drove. Luckily my other uncle gave me his 79 HZ Premier instead for my first car..

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't be paying out Datsuns.. My uncle had a yellow 120Y that flew. Although the braking and handling weren't great. Haha
Not paying out on them at all, but if you were to race a Datsun and a Ferrari, other than the Ferrari shitting itself at the start line, the Ferrari wins EVERY day

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not paying out on them at all, but if you were to race a Datsun and a Ferrari, other than the Ferrari shitting itself at the start line, the Ferrari wins EVERY day
I don't think anyone would be under any illusions who would win. If I raced the Ferrari in my HZ Premier though, I could ram it off the road without breaking stride and speed off in the V8...

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wait till after Round 11. Barrett's hands are tied, if he maintains loyalty to certain players then we are in for some problems.

A write off season means we should begin blooding new talent and preparing them for first grade

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I just look at Robinson at the roosters. Anytime they cut to him in the dressing rooms he is never yelling. Be interesting to understand Barrett’s emotional intelligence/empathy levels. Cause I think that’s what Robinson has in spades. Really it shows you don’t so much need to be nice. Just talk to the guys with respect. Many ways to skin a cat.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Wait till after Round 11. Barrett's hands are tied, if he maintains loyalty to certain players then we are in for some problems.

A write off season means we should begin blooding new talent and preparing them for first grade
We are in for some problems....

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think anyone would be under any illusions who would win. If I raced the Ferrari in my HZ Premier though, I could ram it off the road without breaking stride and speed off in the V8...
And that's exactly as a team we should be doing this year. Hunting as a pack in D and rattling the opposition by choking the life at of them. We don't have the fire power top go toe to toe and with the new rules quickly fall behind before dropping our heads and getting flogged.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually don't blame Barrett. I blame management for giving a struggling club to a novice coach who hasn't had success at top level coaching. The mistake began when we appointed Pay. The role should have been given to Dymock. But after Pay left, we should have sought out an experienced coach with lots of success at first grade level. Barrett is way too green for a job like the doggies, where we are at now.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I've had bosses that talk to employees like shit. Nobody will go above and beyond for them. Also had bosses that will calmly tell you what you need to improve on that I've been glad to work for. At this point we aren't really in a position to shuffle the roster a lot due to having a huge injury list. Even when we've bought players up there's been ongoing issues. Suspensions and concussions etc have kept us with a very restricted roster since the start of the year. As far as we know Barrett might have told a few players already that if they're not performing by the time he has the luxury of promoting outside the 30 that they're getting a stint in the lower grades respectfully. Doesn't breed resentment that way, just knowledge that more is expected of them.

I'm interested in seeing if a decent list of players get to debut when the top 30 restrictions ease in round 11.
Agree. Being an authoritarian like Madge gets you nowhere fast

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really can't see Barrett getting too angry at players when they don't perform. Just can't see it in his nature at all and I think he's doing a disservice to himself (and the team) by being Mr Nice Guy. Players laughing and joking after the game should be moved on or at least dropped. Why the f..k he keeps picking Katoa ahead of Dietz I can't understand although in Katoa's case I think it's more about lack of skill rather than effort. At the post game presser Barrett mentioned about five times that the Eels were a "big team" as if we got monstered. More excuses.

Todd Payten isn't shy in letting players know the truth and the Cows are now performing better than expected.

Funny how Des used to rip doors off hinges when at Manly then while with us he remained calm and seemed to accept defeat (and always pick the same players) but I see back at Manly again he's showing passion again in the dressing sheds.

Barrett needs to make the players more accountable for their actions. Not keep selecting and making excuses for players who don't turn up.

I'm not saying we should sack him as I think he's intelligent and the shelves are pretty bare for decent coaches. He just needs to show / teach the players as much passion when we lose as he does when we win.

We should shed any player who has an NRL career win ratio less than 55%. We need to get rid of losers who are comfortable with and accept losing.

Elliott 33.33%
Jackson 46.34%
DWZ 45.65%
Hopa 43.71%
Napa 51.52%
Seriously, other than game plans there is only one thing Barrett can say to 90% of the players that will not be there next year and that is you are all off contract at the end of the year, now show me why you should be re-signed. Still, with this is their minds there is absolutely no hunger and fight seen in the players. They are deflated.

Absolutely none of them have taken the bull by the horns and proved him otherwise so he has a team with no skill and no desire to go to the next level.

An example of a player that has taken advantage of his position this weekend was Albert Kelly for the Bronco's. He tore shreds out of the Roosters even with him knowing that he won't be the first option half next year due to Reynolds signing but he is telling Walters hey don't forget me. No dummy spits just actions. Our players do not have that mentality even with their careers on the line which tells us they are not NRL standard and our position atm warrants where we are at.

This is no different to the past 4-6 years. This isn't a Barrett problem, it's an individual problem and I'll have to say it is a cultural problem that has cemented its place in the team of loses.

We will no doubt see most of them laying bricks with Michael Lichaa next year. Unfortunately that is the truth of it.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Seriously, other than game plans there is only one thing Barrett can say to 90% of the players that will not be there next year and that is you are all off contract at the end of the year, now show me why you should be re-signed. Still, with this is their minds there is absolutely no hunger and fight seen in the players. They are deflated.

Absolutely none of them have taken the bull by the horns and proved him otherwise so he has a team with no skill and no desire to go to the next level.

An example of a player that is taken advantage of his position this weekend was Albert Kelly for the Bronco's. He tore shreds out of the Roosters even with him knowing that he won't be the first option half next year due to Reynolds signing but he is telling Walters hey don't forget me. No dummy spits just actions. Our players do not have that mentality even with their careers on the line which tells us they are not NRL standard and our position atm warrants where we are at.

This is no different to the past 4-6 years. This isn't a Barrett problem, it's an individual problem and I'll have to say it is a cultural problem that has cemented its place in the team of loses.

We will no doubt see most of them laying bricks with Michael Lichaa next year. Unfortunately that is the truth of it.
I agree but there are still areas that a coach should be influencing these plodders who can't be bothered fighting for their $120k-$650k careers. Why are they so unmotivated? It's mind boggling.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree but there are still areas that a coach should be influencing these plodders who can't be bothered fighting for their $120k-$650k careers. Why are they so unmotivated? It's mind boggling.
That's the million dollar question but a culture of losing and not knowing how to close out games is probably causing the players to be less motivated. They know we don't have an individual that can turn a game around and pretty much expect to lose so they will plod their way through games.

Barrett talks about building pressure and our inability to do so, so no doubt he is instructing them at training that repeat sets will build pressure and to be patient. But when do we see the grubber kicks in goal? We don't. Instead we panic. These are suppose to be NRL players and if they can't execute the instructions given by Barrett then that's a player issue. A coach can't beat it out of them, motivation that is. Only the player can if he really is up to it and wants it.

Look at the personalities of our players. The only extrovert I can see without really knowing them personally is and I can't beleive I am saying this but it's Elliot who is a loose canon and can't control himself professionally on and off the field. Hetherington yeh ok but we are still to see his worth. Napa had it and has lost it when he came to us. Our other players honestly are all introverts who look like they are simply Mr Nice Guys. No mongrel, enthusiasm or motivation what so ever. That won't cut it in the NRL nor have they, really.

We need Brandon Smith to add mongrel to our side but also he has the skill and experience to take us forward. In the meantime we'll roll with the punches and sit and wait . Ouch!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yelling and screaming gets you no where especially with the sensitive types born after 1990.
Is what Barrett is doing getting him anywhere ? Bellamy on the other hand - young players under him too, different behaviour =- MUCH different results. If something isn't working you try something different. Don't just keep doing the same shit. Barrett needs to get up those players laughing and having a chat with their opponents after a game - opponents who just thrashed them. Have some f..king competitive spirit and pride in the jersey. On the weekend Jack Bird was filmed in the dressing room crying over a loss. Our guys you wouldn't know if they had won or lost. Their pay cheque is their only real concern. We need to f..k off those bludgers - ANYONE with that mindset. It's a cancer for a footy team. Need to surgically remove those players.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That's the million dollar question but a culture of losing and not knowing how to close out games is probably causing the players to be less motivated. They know we don't have an individual that can turn a game around and pretty much expect to lose so they will plod their way through games.

Barrett talks about building pressure and our inability to do so, so no doubt he is instructing them at training that repeat sets will build pressure and to be patient. But when do we see the grubber kicks in goal? We don't. Instead we panic. These are suppose to be NRL players and if they can't execute the instructions given by Barrett then that's a player issue. A coach can't beat it out of them, motivation that is. Only the player can if he really is up to it and wants it.

Look at the personalities of our players. The only extrovert I can see without really knowing them personally is and I can't beleive I am saying this but it's Elliot who is a loose canon and can't control himself professionally on and off the field. Hetherington yeh ok but we are still to see his worth. Napa had it and has lost it when he came to us. Our other players honestly are all introverts who look like they are simply Mr Nice Guys. No mongrel, enthusiasm or motivation what so ever. That won't cut it in the NRL nor have they, really.

We need Brandon Smith to add mongrel to our side but also he has the skill and experience to take us forward. In the meantime we'll roll with the punches and sit and wait . Ouch!
I guess so :(

I think we need Brandon for that reason also.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's be serious, you cant go shouting at retards and expect good results...