Barrett's selections. Never thought I'd see DWZ play fullback again

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No one bags JJ. Wouldn't be right to do that.
It's just the big chunk of salary cap for a player on the downside of a great career.
750k is too much for him in D and attack and 2 seasons after this to go.
If he ha a bigger frame you'd like to think progression to frontrow but that hardly seems likely. It's 3 more years of lock now on big money.
But it's not really $750k is it? Firstly the $750k is wrong anyway as it includes TPA's, a motor vehicle plus education expenses. No one else is eligible for the Veteran & Developed Player $200k (maybe Hopoate, but seriously), so it's more like $450k as far as the Cap is concerned. With a top 30 average of $320k ($9.5m/30) I don't think paying our Captain an extra $130k is a bad thing by any stretch.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
But it's not really $750k is it? Firstly the $750k is wrong anyway as it includes TPA's, a motor vehicle plus education expenses. No one else is eligible for the Veteran & Developed Player $200k (maybe Hopoate, but seriously), so it's more like $450k as far as the Cap is concerned. With a top 30 average of $320k ($9.5m/30) I don't think paying our Captain an extra $130k is a bad thing by any stretch.

Go Dogs
It's way overs in total and can't be used elsewhere in our sc.

800k Thommo
750k JJ

What would managers of F/ Blake, Bromich, Welch, JWH, Takie, JFH, Leota, Haas, Papalli, Safiti, Vaughan, Pauli, RCG, kikau, Crichton, NAS, Frizell, expect us to pay when we have our 2 guys on that sort of money?

There's the factor also that Managers know what they are on and want that for their marque guy as well.

But you and I can have our views.
Doesn't make a skerrit of difference what we think. That's what our Admin signed him up for.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We’ll see. Dallin was good at 1 in 2019 and it was only after he was smashed by Nathan Brown his confidence was shattered. He had a shocking 2020, we all saw that and he admitted it. Let’s see how he goes out the back again. It may work out well.
I second the observation that Brown did a hit job on him. Noticed the difference from the first game DWZ came back.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll skip between a couple of topics here.

Given the issues that DWZ had last year with ball handling I'd have been reluctant to throw him into the fullback job. But we're very light on outside backs right now with our injury list. So lets just hope that DWZ can offer a bit of football similar to his first season with us. If he recaptures close to that form this week we'll be a bit more dangerous. I'm not an NRL coach, but I think that picking the right players in the right positions when you have a few utilities is a tough gig. And add those injuries and your options are reduced anyway. Barrett knows he's got as much to prove as all our players, so I wouldn't think he's taking any decision lightly.

As far as guessing what Jackson is getting paid, it's not guaranteed that anyone here is close to getting a true figure on his salary. It's like walking past houses and trying to guess how many pairs of socks each person has in their sock drawer. Rather than worrying about what he's earning I'm just going to be happy that he's offering some value with his defense. If he gets through a mountain of defense and it means other players have more energy to throw into attack, so be it. Hopefully he's able to get into some of the attacking form we used to see from him. But I think Barretts blueprint for attack generally looks to exploit the edges with unpredictability about who's going to get the last pass before the line. Having only seen last weeks game it's not working yet. Hope it starts working this week but only time will tell.

The one big thing I was pleased about after watching the opening period of last weeks game was that despite having been well beaten we haven't given up yet. On any given week we may finally see some of the attacking plays work out. If we manage to start a game well it will possibly give us the confidence and energy to go on with things and finally post that elusive win.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's way overs in total and can't be used elsewhere in our sc.
800k Thommo
750k JJ
What would managers of F/ Blake, Bromich, Welch, JWH, Takie, JFH, Leota, Haas, Papalli, Safiti, Vaughan, Pauli, RCG, kikau, Crichton, NAS, Frizell, expect us to pay when we have our 2 guys on that sort of money?
There's the factor also that Managers know what they are on and want that for their marque guy as well.
But you and I can have our views.
Doesn't make a skerrit of difference what we think. That's what our Admin signed him up for.
What a player is paid outside the Salary Cap is irrelevant to us, we have plenty of money to spend. All that matters is what is inside the Cap and in Jackson's case that isn't $750k. Using you example none of "Blake, Bromich, Welch, JWH, Takie, JFH, Leota, Haas, Papalli, Safiti, Vaughan, Pauli, RCG, kikau, Crichton, NAS, Frizell", etc would get the $200k Veteran & Developed Player allowance with us. So their managers straight away know that $750k for Jackson = $550k for their player. Plus they also know that they are most unlikely to sign on and be our Captain straight away, so they miss out on the Captains bonus $50k / $100k or whatever it is in the Cap, plus the Captains TPA that they won't get either.

I deal with agents/managers quite often and they don't care about the "headline" number, they know that's just journalist click bate.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What a player is paid outside the Salary Cap is irrelevant to us, we have plenty of money to spend. All that matters is what is inside the Cap and in Jackson's case that isn't $750k. Using you example none of "Blake, Bromich, Welch, JWH, Takie, JFH, Leota, Haas, Papalli, Safiti, Vaughan, Pauli, RCG, kikau, Crichton, NAS, Frizell", etc would get the $200k Veteran & Developed Player allowance with us. So their managers straight away know that $750k for Jackson = $550k for their player. Plus they also know that they are most unlikely to sign on and be our Captain straight away, so they miss out on the Captains bonus $50k / $100k or whatever it is in the Cap, plus the Captains TPA that they won't get either.

I deal with agents/managers quite often and they don't care about the "headline" number, they know that's just journalist click bate.

Go Dogs
Fair enough thanks for clearing that up.

What's your thoughts on Pangai at reportedly $600 by comparison to JJ on $550k out of sc.

If we were in the market for him, how much of our sc would it take in your opinion.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair enough thanks for clearing that up.
What's your thoughts on Pangai at reportedly $600 by comparison to JJ on $550k out of sc.
If we were in the market for him, how much of our sc would it take in your opinion.
Pangai is tricky, very tricky, to put it bluntly he doesn't have a very good record, he doesn't present well and he's not likely to be Captain. He is still on a 12 month good behaviour bond with the Broncos, after they docked him $100k off his contract value. As a result TPA's of any decent amount are going to be extremely hard to get for him. Relocation costs for him and his family are outside the Cap so that's no counted, if he wants to buy a residence then financing that can be arranged outside the Cap, similarly a motor vehicle. To further complicate negotiations his manager is/was Isaac Moses who has had his NRL certification cancelled. Keeping in mind that he's on $650k (headline number, ~$600k Cap) at the Donkeys and they have been trying for 6 months to get him to commit to something/anything beyond next year, without success.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is the clickbait headline would be something like "$2.1m for 3 years", which could be as little as $500k PA in the Cap if TPA's (plus other outside the Cap "benefits") can somehow be arranged, or up to $600k PA in the cap if not. But negotiations are going to be far more complex with him than with most other players.

Go Dogs