Barrett's selections. Never thought I'd see DWZ play fullback again

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Frizell wouldn't of signed for us unless we offered him ~900k or he had no other options (which wouldn't happen for a player of Frizell's calibre). I'd say it's more 700k (with veteran allowance, which I believe is up to 200k) vs 900k. We couldn't afford to lose Jackson, especially at the time we re-signed him, imo. Jackson's playing better than J. Trbojevic this year and he's on 950k. Let's see how Jackson goes in a competitive team. I think Jackson's been one of our best so far this year.
Yes we would've paid overs for Frizzell but most people would acknowledge teams normally have to pay more to attract a player rather than keep a player. I for one don't see how Jacko is supposedly playing better than Jake when Trbojevic is averaging almost 50m per game more and twice as many post contact metres.
Jacko is a good tackler, we know that but what else does he offer besides being a good tackle, I mean I wouldn't even say he's a great defender given he's got about as much lateral quickness as an ocean liner

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes we would've paid overs for Frizzell but most people would acknowledge teams normally have to pay more to attract a player rather than keep a player. I for one don't see how Jacko is supposedly playing better than Jake when Trbojevic is averaging almost 50m per game more and twice as many post contact metres.
Jacko is a good tackler, we know that but what else does he offer besides being a good tackle, I mean I wouldn't even say he's a great defender given he's got about as much lateral quickness as an ocean liner
You're right and the only thing I can really add is he's our captain and leader (I think he's under appreciated here, but that's personal opinion I guess). I think we're paying him 100-200k more than what he's worth but like I said I don't think we could afford to lose him at that time. Also he's still the only obvious captain option in our team. We're lacking quality and strike in the roster as a whole.

Last edited:

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You're right and the only thing I can really add is he's our captain and leader (I think he's under appreciated here, but that's personally opinion I guess). I think we're paying him 100-200k more than what he's worth but like I said I don't think we could afford to lose him at that time. Also he's still the only obvious captain option in our team. We're lacking quality and strike power in the roster as a whole.
In terms of optics and PR you're right the board couldn't afford to lose him but in saying that we definitely overpaid considering there's never really been rumours about him leaving or anything like that.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What exactly is similar vintage?
Honestly, how many other teams would take on Jackson's contract at this moment?
Frizzell signed for less at the knights even though he was an incumbent test and origin player whereas Jackson hadn't made any rep teams since 2017.
I don’t know that rep matters in this instance.
Last weekend we had 2 players over 25 in our team. Jacko brings experience and leadership to a bunch of kids. Frizell is in a similar position (signed for 3 years) though I think he’s a year younger than Jacko. I don’t know about dollars but he wouldn’t be getting the developed player payment like Jacko does. When Jacko’s work rate plummets I’ll question his value but for mine 65 tackles against the Ponies was outstanding in a side not doing much else right.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You're right and the only thing I can really add is he's our captain and leader (I think he's under appreciated here, but that's personal opinion I guess). I think we're paying him 100-200k more than what he's worth but like I said I don't think we could afford to lose him at that time. Also he's still the only obvious captain option in our team. We're lacking quality and strike in the roster as a whole.
That was the discussion tho. That JJ was overpaid, at this stage of his career, going into a 3 year extension. No way is that disrespecting his value to the team overall.

We have too many players on overs for not enough return value and need to be careful about getting ourselves into that cap merry go round yet again where we can't continually refresh the team like the top teams do.

We have a few on overs. For necessary reasons, or not, but it is our reality:
JJ
Thommo
Cotric
DWZ

If those four alone are $150-$200k over....thats $600k-$800k extra in cap available.... a marque player (at the higher end) just there and therefore not available to improve the team.

We've been down this road before is my only concern with overpaying.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was the discussion tho. That JJ was overpaid, at this stage of his career, going into a 3 year extension. No way is that disrespecting his value to the team overall.

We have too many players on overs for not enough return value and need to be careful about getting ourselves into that cap merry go round yet again where we can't continually refresh the team like the top teams do.

We have a few on overs. For necessary reasons, or not, but it is our reality:
JJ
Thommo
Cotric
DWZ

If those four alone are $150-$200k over....thats $600k-$800k extra in cap available.... a marque player (at the higher end) just there and therefore not available to improve the team.

When did Jacko sign his last contract ?

To me he seemed to really slip last year. Before that he was always one of our best but he seemed to age overnight in 2020 (especially after the rule changes). Shows the danger of multi year contracts of blokes at the back end of their career.

I remember Luke Patten was the same in 2010. He single handedly cost us 5 games that year but in 2009 he was one of our best.

I think clubs will follow South’s and Newcastle’s lead in future and do one year extensions for ageing players. There are some players on the wrong side of 30 who are getting big overs and no surprise most of them are at struggling clubs.

Jacko
DCE
Morgan (29)
Packer
Tapau
Mcguire
A. Fifita

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

To me he seemed to really slip last year. Before that he was always one of our best but he seemed to age overnight in 2020 (especially after the rule changes). Shows the danger of multi year contracts of blokes at the back end of their career.

I remember Luke Patten was the same in 2010. He single handedly cost us 5 games that year but in 2009 he was one of our best.

I think clubs will follow South’s and Newcastle’s lead in future and do one year extensions for ageing players. There are some players on the wrong side of 30 who are getting big overs and no surprise most of them are at struggling clubs.

Jacko
DCE
Morgan (29)
Packer
Tapau
Mcguire
A. Fifita
I like Jacko but he has been a shadow of his former self for several years now.

The last year he played Origin was the last season he was worth his contract money. That was 2017

From then on he is a solid footballer earning double what he should be on.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Jacko but he has been a shadow of his former self for several years now.

The last year he played Origin was the last season he was worth his contract money. That was 2017

From then on he is a solid footballer earning double what he should be on.
Yep tough to argue with that mate. Other backrowers earning similar or less money have gone way , way past him since then

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan getting punted from fullback after 3 games was pretty funny to me
We are not privy to conversations between coach and player. If Baz said Corey this is what i need you to do. Then he doesn't do it in the game or possibly even try to do it... maybe Baz gave him some chances because he was willing to accept maybe in the heat of the game he forgot the plan... well after almost 3 games Baz lost patience. Maybe he will get another chance at the back but it will be only after its clear he will be implement Baz's instructions.

I get the feeling it was his not his non-involvement in attack that resulted in the move, but not organizing the goal line defense,

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No shame in it or disrespect.

Every player gets to that stage of their career. Unfortunately our club has been on the wrong end of "better a year early than a year too late". Jacko has this season and 2 more yet. It was not good cap management going forward.

Only players at their peak get that sort of top tier money otherwise you have an uncompetitive roster with no wriggle room for contingencies (like our silly Top 30).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Jacko
DCE
Morgan (29)
Packer
Tapau
Mcguire
A. Fifita
December 2019 re-signed 3 year contract till end of 2023.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
December 2019 re-signed 3 year contract till end of 2023.
We had that decent run at the back end of 2019 and he was playing decent. But I seriously doubt that other clubs were throwing big coin at him

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
When he first signed up I thought he was a fully hectik fullback, he needs to get back to that, he can do it, just not every week.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s the same issue.
The problem previously was bunch of back-ended contracts (which we no longer have) combined with an assumed cap for 2018 of $10m, which was actually $9.4m, putting the club $600k further in the hole.

I don’t think higher salaries can be totally avoided. DWZ based on his 2019 form looked good. Getting Thommo from the UK was never going to be cheap and likewise Cotric when we had to kickstart recruitment as the cap shackles were coming off. It’s never a perfect science, but I agree going forward consistently good roster management is crucial.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets give him the opportunity to show what he can do with two props that are making some meters and fast play the balls. Saw him last year making decent meters down the middle while the props were effective. I don't see him is making hard metres down the middle more taking advantage of any space. But in any case he does tighten up the middle.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Lets give him the opportunity to show what he can do with two props that are making some meters and fast play the balls. Saw him last year making decent meters down the middle while the props were effective. I don't see him is making hard metres down the middle more taking advantage of any space. But in any case he does tighten up the middle.
No one bags JJ. Wouldn't be right to do that.
It's just the big chunk of salary cap for a player on the downside of a great career.

750k is too much for him in D and attack and 2 seasons after this to go.

If he had a bigger frame you'd like to think progression to frontrow but that hardly seems likely. It's 3 more years of lock now on big money.

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The whole top 30 bullshit doesnt make it easy to chose who you want. Each club should be able to pick whoever they want from ther fg and reserve grade sides.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what is the logic behind the Top 30? Can someone please explain it to me?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He might as well “head “ the highball soccer style rather than try to catch it and knock it on.