Barrett's selections. Never thought I'd see DWZ play fullback again

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we bought Allan it seemed we'd finally found our fulltime fullback. Never thought I'd see DWZ back there again. Looks like Allan was a waste of money and we need to go shopping AGAIN with 400-450K less to spend. Not sure about JAC as a fullback.

Seems Cotric has proven a failure at centre also so when Hopa leaves at the end of season (surely) we officially have NONE. Naden has to be MUST. Can't see us outbidding the Broncs at 750K for Staggs. Would he even bother moving states for 800K ? probably not.

I can't understand why Barrett keeps picking Katoa ahead of Deitz. Deitz deserves another run. We need something unscripted, something off the cuff. We need a f..king try. Deitz is 100 times more likely to get us over the line than Katoa. Cook showed us last week what a running hooker can do.

I can't understand why Barrett keeps picking Waddell in the starting side or why he keeps picking Napa anywhere in the 17 when he's f..king useless and has no heart.

Last edited:

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we bought Allan it seemed we'd finally found our fulltime fullback. Never thought I'd see DWZ back there again. Looks like Allan was a waste of money and we need to go shopping AGAIN with 400-450K less to spend. Not sure about JAC as a fullback.

Seems Cotric has proven a failure at centre also so when Hopa leaves at the end of season (surely) we officially have NONE. Naden has to be MUST. Can't see us outbidding the Broncs at 750K for Staggs. Would he even bother moving for 800K ? probably not.

I can't understand why Barrett keeps picking Katoa ahead of Deitz. Deitz deserves another run. We need something unscripted, something off the cuff. We need a f..king try. Deitz is 100 times more likely to get us over the line than Katoa. Cook showed us last week what a running hooker can do.

I can't understand why Barrett keeps picking Waddell in the starting side or why he keeps picking Napa anywhere in the 17 when he's f..king useless and has no heart.
most of this makes sense, however Deitz cant play without an exemption. I think thats being used for Topine.

Thought it was weird that Topine played that one game at hooker for Mounties. Mightve been a loophole for him to be brought up where possible.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dietz really isn’t that good I’d rather give the chance to Topine seeing as we can only pick one or the other as a replacement for JMK.
Deitz is in our top 30 now I thought so he can play whenever needed. He offers more in attack than Topine. Offers better service (passing) also. As far as I'm aware Topine doesn't have much experience as a hooker.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Deitz is in our top 30 now I thought so he can play whenever needed. He offers more in attack than Topine. Offers better service (passing) also. As far as I'm aware Topine doesn't have much experience as a hooker.
He isn't in the top 30, Ava is and he replaced Harding. We still have one spot available but we won't waste it on Dietz.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He isn't in the top 30, Ava is and he replaced Harding. We still have one spot available but we won't waste it on Dietz.
Yep looks like someone posted a fake report on here that Deitz was added also.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
most of this makes sense, however Deitz cant play without an exemption. I think thats being used for Topine.

Thought it was weird that Topine played that one game at hooker for Mounties. Mightve been a loophole for him to be brought up where possible.
I think it was always the plan. He has played some DH in juniors and I thought he could make it onto the bench after round 11 as the utility/backup hooker. They would want him to get some minutes in Mounties first though. He got a heap of game time a few weeks ago when half went of early and Dietz moved into halves. This was unplanned however.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cotric's main problem is that he relies purely on his fend and brute strength to evade defenders. He needs to learn how to put himself in a position where he can hit a hole with speed and use his strength to break through the line and tackles. This jinking and shuffling side to side shit is rubbish. Once he gets out of this wingers mindset of always stepping back inside, he might reach his potential. I really was excited about him coming, now I'm scratching me head. Dwz is a confidence player. Lets hope he turns it around as he can be an asset when at his peak..on the wing that is, not fb..

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still expecting a couple of last minute changes prior to kick off.

I reckon Tui Katoa gets dropped and DWZ plays wing.

Then, Averillo plays fullback.

And Wakeham will start at 6.

The other option may be Cotric at fullback in a straight switch with DWZ

Just my guess anyway.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
hope your wrong with the Wakeham one, he ain't cutting it in the 2's so would be of no use.
Interesting the fullback theory with Cotric not sure how he would measure up tactically but would be very good on kick returns you would think. big risk though and unlikely but would be better than Avo i think.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Atleast he’s trying things week to week. Allan has flopped at fullback but I doubt he was brought over to play that position exclusively. Centre/Wing for sure. Cotric was just fucking terrible at centre. Just trash. Ok good with ball in hand but defensively geez - what a terrible call. It’s time we just recruited players in their position and took our time rebuilding. It took souths more than 10 years to do it.

Unfortunately all of Pay’s tenure was a complete waste of time. He should have sat down and put red marks through all the players coming off contract this year. Instead, he tried to win games with no resources and sneak us into the 8. Not his fault, that’s the vibe/culture of the joint. Miracles don’t happen anymore. The game is far too technical. You will never see premiers like the Tigers in 2005.

Last edited:

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Atleast he’s trying things week to week. Allan has flopped at fullback but I doubt he was brought over to play that position exclusively. Centre/Wing for sure. Cotric was just fucking terrible at centre. Just trash. Ok good with ball in hand but defensively geez - what a terrible call. It’s time we just recruited players in their position and took our time rebuilding. It took souths more than 10 years to do it.

Unfortunately all of Pay’s tenure was a complete waste of time. He should have sat down and put red marks through all the players coming off contract this year. Instead, he tried to win games with no resources and sneak us into the 8. Not his fault, that’s the vibe/culture of the joint. Miracles don’t happen anymore. The game is far too technical. You will never see premiers like the Tigers in 2005.
Pay was always the stop gap measure while we unwound the salary cap mess AND SUPPOSEDLY went out and identified schoolboy talent and recruited them to the Club and started developing them. Development is something Hasler simply wasn't interested in...it was beyond his pay grade.
You reap what you sew. Sewing pineapples and expecting to harvest Avocardos is lunacy.
Canberra knew Cotric wasn't a centre....we fell for it. We also fell for JAC telling us he's a FB. Lets see how that turns out. Souths knew Allen isn't special with the ball in his hands but we didn't. He's not a FB. The problem is that there just isn't the talent in spine players running around ...and the persistent talk of how important a good spine is to the success of a team creates a perfect storm for players to identify THEMSELVES as sound spine players and therefore command more money. Who can blame them?Their career making big bucks is quite short. Hell if I was marketing myself would I call myself a winger or a fullback or 5/8?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People need to understand that Barrett didn't sign Cotric. Cotric isn't a centre and never will be. So Barrett has done the right thing by playing Cotric on the wing where he played for NSW in Origin..

Addo-Carr and Cotric on the wings next season will be amazing in terms of finishing and big plays..

Allan does look like a wasted signing. If he doesn't pan out in tbe centres considering he had other suitors and made Origin, I'm sure another club will take a chance on him (Tigers, Cronulla etc) without having to pay much freight as he's not on a massive deal.

Waddell is very average and it's frustrating to see him get 80 minutes a week when he's been out of form. Hopefully Topine can start on an edge soon once he has a few more games under his belt..

After Round 11, guys like Schoupp and Deitz will likely come into the 17 as we get more flexibility around the top 30.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Seems Cotric has proven a failure at centre also so when Hopa leaves at the end of season (surely) we officially have NONE. Naden has to be MUST. Can't see us outbidding the Broncs at 750K for Staggs. Would he even bother moving states for 800K ? probably not.

Meaney is injured, as is okubour. Allan has been told to work on some things if he wants to play fb. Hard to argue with that. These things are already making barrets choices harder to make. So i dont think these are necessarily long term changes, they are just necessary at the moment to see if the team can produce more then they have. I dont have a problem with him changing it up at all. We have scored 0 points in 3 weeks. What the fuck else do pepple want him to do???!!!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Meaney is injured, as is okubour. Allan has been told to work on some things if he wants to play fb. Hard to argue with that. These things are already making barrets choices harder to make. So i dont think these are necessarily long term changes, they are just necessary at the moment to see if the team can produce more then they have. I dont have a problem with him changing it up at all. We have scored 0 points in 3 weeks. What the fuck else do pepple want him to do???!!!
Amen to that Flameboy :grinning: !!!