News Barrett's Heart to nurture Dogs

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent Barrett is doing it tough in his first season as a head coach of the Bulldogs, with his team sitting on the bottom of the ladder and licking their wounds from a 52-18 mauling from premiers Melbourne. But when I think of the predicament Barrett is in, my mind goes back 20 or so years to a touching moment I witnessed when he was one of the game's glamour boys with the Dragons. I just happened to be stalking the sidelines at Kogarah moments after the Dragons under 20s handed a Central Coast side a dreadful 70-plus point mauling in the curtain raiser to the NRL clash.

The crowd were taunting the young team from up the coast and Barrett, who also happened to be down among the players, noticed several players in tears. The former Test five-eighth wandered quietly over to the young team and told them to hold their heads up, they did their best, that football was a game of highs and lows and they would bounce back. His words were like a magic spell, instantly lifting the spirits of the previously down-and-out Coast team. It was a lovely gesture that was greatly appreciated by the downcast players - and makes me think that the Bulldogs are in good hands… and that things will eventually turn their way.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Trent Barrett is doing it tough in his first season as a head coach of the Bulldogs, with his team sitting on the bottom of the ladder and licking their wounds from a 52-18 mauling from premiers Melbourne. But when I think of the predicament Barrett is in, my mind goes back 20 or so years to a touching moment I witnessed when he was one of the game's glamour boys with the Dragons. I just happened to be stalking the sidelines at Kogarah moments after the Dragons under 20s handed a Central Coast side a dreadful 70-plus point mauling in the curtain raiser to the NRL clash.

The crowd were taunting the young team from up the coast and Barrett, who also happened to be down among the players, noticed several players in tears. The former Test five-eighth wandered quietly over to the young team and told them to hold their heads up, they did their best, that football was a game of highs and lows and they would bounce back. His words were like a magic spell, instantly lifting the spirits of the previously down-and-out Coast team. It was a lovely gesture that was greatly appreciated by the downcast players - and makes me think that the Bulldogs are in good hands… and that things will eventually turn their way.
Love TBAZ , his intentions are great, he will lead us out of this rut .!!

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What the fuck has that to do with winning nrl games. I want results . I expect results . I don't need a feel good story. Start competing in matches. Start picking players for the future. Start having a go !!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whatever anyone wants to say about Barrett's coaching ability etc, at least he seems to have a great rapport with the players, he genuinely cares for them and he's a great communicator.

It's just too bad a fair few passengers don't make it up to him by putting in more effort. Those players have clearly been told they're not going to be here next year and they've given up. Which doesn't help them find another club and shows a lack of pride and competitiveness.. Hopefully Baz drops those bad seeds soon and the team can grow based on effort alone.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Whatever anyone wants to say about Barrett's coaching ability etc, at least he seems to have a great rapport with the players, he genuinely cares for them and he's a great communicator.

It's just too bad a fair few passengers don't make it up to him by putting in more effort. Those players have clearly been told they're not going to be here next year and they've given up. Which doesn't help them find another club and shows a lack of pride and competitiveness.. Hopefully Baz drops those bad seeds soon and the team can grow based on effort alone.
Baz can help himself a bit by setting some standards and redemption of his statements at the press conferences, by acting on them.

That means drop Hoppa and Napa.

There's more but replacements not available and those 2 are the worst for effort and drop in attitude and form.

Their team mates would have zero confidence in them...and if they do, the state of the loser attitude and team confidence is worse than we think.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
A good temperament will help get the best out of the squad as people to get the best out of them as players, pretty sure Wayne Bennett used to do the same thing.
More than just a footy coach.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like TBaz and I'm sure one day he will be a great coach, I suspect he will be making some drastic changes come round 11 when he will have more players to pick from. Because of our roster injuries and suspensions affect us more than most teams

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Like everyone who works at the club past and present I want to see him succeed. There’s no doubt he’s a good human and people like him. He just needs to be careful to recruit the right players and make the best use of salary cap available. Hetherington and Waddell haven’t proven to be good buys yet.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Baz can help himself a bit by setting some standards and redemption of his statements at the press conferences, by acting on them.

There's more but replacements not available and those 2 are the worst for effort and drop in attitude and form.

Their team mates would have zero confidence in them...and if they do, the state of the loser attitude and team confidence is worse than we think.
I agree with dropping them but for who? We don’t have any cover Hoppa and our front row stocks are mediocre. Playing with Napa is like playing with 16 men.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

This is a way from TBaz assuring our fans that things will turn for the better...
Have faith, he has the right intentions and deserves a better roster !

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I agree with dropping them but for who? We don’t have any cover Hoppa and our front row stocks are mediocre. Playing with Napa is like playing with 16 men.
It's got so bad that I'd have CSmith/Doorey in for Napa/Hoppa.

Prove they wouldn't do better and show some pride and enthusiasm working for their team mates.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
sorry but what a load of shit that means to anything currently occurring.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's got so bad that I'd have CSmith/Doorey in for Napa/Hoppa.

Prove they wouldn't do better and show some pride and enthusiasm working for their team mates.
Yeah, I guess you’re right. I would even want Lewis in the centre’s over Hoppa LOL.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Who wrote this rubbish.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We will come back in a big way i reckon. In the meantime can we sack the defensive coach and bring in John Morris as assistant. He is getting f*cked by the sharks.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hoppa definitely too slow for the backline. I'll try him at hooker as our current ones have been crap for years and at least Hoppa can pass properly and better footy brain than JMK and the others.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hoppa definitely too slow for the backline. I'll try him at hooker as our current ones have been crap for years and at least Hoppa can pass properly and better footy brain than JMK and the others.
You think his defence, and effort plays, are up to it?

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wests Tigers fans smashed the shit out of their club over the weekend for their performance....Its a competitive sport ok to give occasional cuddles when the team is underperforming, occasionally... but this is a fucking basket case already. Clubs actually need accountability to say that this is not ok.