Barrett warned he could destroy his career at Bulldogs, Pay's final straw revealed

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We really never ever allocated a top line coach from scratch other than Hasler. All our coaches were training on the job and works in project. Wok was an exception as he was already established at Newtown.
Ted Glossop was coach at the the Sharks with a 59% winning record when we pinched him and of course there was Clive Churchill before him, both recognised coaches before they joined us. Chris Anderson also coached (and won a premiership with) Halifax for 5 years before he came back to coach our Under 21's, then progressed to the top job.

Go Dogs

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You have some good points and at the end of the day there's only 16 head coaching jobs in the NRL and about half of those opportunities are locked up long term so you can't be too picky if you want a chance.

There is also a lot of freedom to do what you want with the roster and cap with only a handful of players contracted past 2021 and plenty of cap space to use as soon as you arrive.

Then you add in the financial clout of the Leagues Club and it's a really good opportunity for a potential coach and its certainly not as bad as many people in the media would have you believe
There are a whole bunch of additional good points that would serve as attractions to taking the head coach gig at the Bulldogs. I'm struggling to think of another club who managed to sign a coach away from another club within days of them winning a premiership, but ours did that in the case of Hasler. Dib gets some of the credit there because he managed a board that presented a united front and represented stability.

Then you go to the sacking of Hasler and the hiring of Pay. It is well documented that at least one other proven coach looked at the job at the time and said no thanks, but how did we go from being able to snap up a proven top level coach days after he won a premiership with another team, to being only able to sign a rookie who is on record saying he took the job partly out of a desire to rejoin the club (and evidence is that he was honest about this). Yes the salary cap issues are a big part of the problem, but other clubs have endured salary cap problems without this amount of upheaval.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this. My current thinking is that a crucial moment was when Dib went to James Graham and asked him to sacrifice himself. That was an error that I reckon a lot of blue and white folk will never forgive him for, myself included. It certainly was a major factor in him getting turfed out at the next election. The other ticket essentially won by default as a result. A lot of us hoped that they would prove to be effective regardless, and they have done some things well (signing Thompson being a big one, though ironically it seems Graham played a role in that). But the rot started to show late last season, especially with the Mitchell rumours. Since then things have been handled poorly one after the other, and at this stage all of the things that represent an attraction in terms of being the head coach at the Bulldogs come with a qualifying asterisk; *but you have to deal with the board.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck them all, only the bulldogs matter and we have to get everyone in the right positions.!!!

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ted Glossop was coach at the the Sharks with a 59% winning record when we pinched him and of course there was Clive Churchill before him, both recognised coaches before they joined us. Chris Anderson also coached (and won a premiership with) Halifax for 5 years before he came back to coach our Under 21's, then progressed to the top job.

Go Dogs
Wow. Didn't know Churchill coached us. You learn something new every day.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are a whole bunch of additional good points that would serve as attractions to taking the head coach gig at the Bulldogs. I'm struggling to think of another club who managed to sign a coach away from another club within days of them winning a premiership, but ours did that in the case of Hasler. Dib gets some of the credit there because he managed a board that presented a united front and represented stability.

Then you go to the sacking of Hasler and the hiring of Pay. It is well documented that at least one other proven coach looked at the job at the time and said no thanks, but how did we go from being able to snap up a proven top level coach days after he won a premiership with another team, to being only able to sign a rookie who is on record saying he took the job partly out of a desire to rejoin the club (and evidence is that he was honest about this). Yes the salary cap issues are a big part of the problem, but other clubs have endured salary cap problems without this amount of upheaval.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this. My current thinking is that a crucial moment was when Dib went to James Graham and asked him to sacrifice himself. That was an error that I reckon a lot of blue and white folk will never forgive him for, myself included. It certainly was a major factor in him getting turfed out at the next election. The other ticket essentially won by default as a result. A lot of us hoped that they would prove to be effective regardless, and they have done some things well (signing Thompson being a big one, though ironically it seems Graham played a role in that). But the rot started to show late last season, especially with the Mitchell rumours. Since then things have been handled poorly one after the other, and at this stage all of the things that represent an attraction in terms of being the head coach at the Bulldogs come with a qualifying asterisk; *but you have to deal with the board.
Yeah that's a interesting point I think the club still had a aura around it when Des signed even thought we had a couple of disappointing seasons in 2010/11. We had a stable head office and board who could sell the club much better then the current admin can. I also think we offered Des a unlimited budget I think they have tightened the purse strings significant since then at least under Pay's reign anyway.

You could be right about Graham I also think replacing him with Woods was a major error judgement. The current board just feed off the errors of the Dib board and it got them power and they have used those errors as a excuse eve since. You are never going to have everything go perfectly in the NRL and problems and issues arise the good admin find ways around it and don't hide behind excuses. Seeing how this current board has operated lately it does leave me questioning if the salary cap mess could have been cleaned up much faster. If the club find a coach, get some signings and start winning games next year the noise and board disruptions will go away very quickly if they don't it will stay until they do get those things done.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think LD misses Kurt Gidley, by the sound of his voice he used to practically jiz every time gidley got the ball and has never gotten over him retiring.

Kinda like a nasheed and dutchy situation, they complete each other

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Daley has been throwing grenades since weve been chasing cotric,flop

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
What Daley isn't considering is that the vast majority of coaching positions become available through blood.

Good coaches and good clubs with successs don't leave. You g set your opportunity because the guy before you got sacked for Politics/performance/revolt most of the time.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly, Daley can fuck off. As if anybody evens wants him to coach our team. The reason nobody has spoken to you is because were not interested so beat it loser.

Secondly, what is the medias fucking obsession with Reynolds. I fully support the boards decision not to sign Reynolds - even for $1. We are already stockpiling shit halves, we don't need another one. Get over fucking Reynolds. The club did the right thing in that scenario. I understand the need for experience but a prerequisite to that is the player must be, you know, good.

I agree with everything that Weidler said about the board. The board is an absolute mess and they need to go but even so, as long as the new coach has a major say in recruitment, this is still a very attractive job for a coach as 25+ players are off contract in the next 2 years. That is a dream for any coach even with the board instability.

I do believe the club set Pay up to fail (you only have to look at his loser assistants for proof) and I feel sorry for Pay and how he was treated but my loyalty is to the jersey - not the coach or board
Agreed.
The funny part about this is that I thought he got screwed with the assistant coaching staff too but he brought Antonelli with him from Canberra.
We really should have had a well established assistant coach to support him given he was a rookie coach.
Anyway, its done now. Dean had a rough trot and in a way I feel bad for him given the board made it extremely hard for him but he just didnt have the coaching brains to pull it off.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where did Weidler get the idea that we could have Reynolds for "minimal money"?

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daley wants the job him self probleyI like barrett he needs to step aWay from the rith and start recruiting for us on pay and take the reins next year tine to act or if not get the coach sorted and let them recruit for 2021 simple

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
We are a good story. Negative or positive its a good story. The board divided is just a story cause we don't have statements from board members. It's journo stories getting pushed around..Daley was a great player, a champion but fmd his coaching opinion is worth shit. He won 1 series of origin than got sacked And he is still living it up. Hokko Reynolds Gallen played the negative football to win the series, definitely wasn't coaching. No one is knocking his door down.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every club has its politics and disagreements, Hasler and Pay had happy periods at Belmore.
Daley is a scaremonger and boardroom drama is not the coaches problem anyway.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He doesn't have much of a career so shouldn't matter

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I hope Barrettt rejects the gig and the board is forced kicking and screaming to sign Shaun Wane. Other options mentioned as available have no appeal. That said, the club has to come out and be transparent about who is making all the dumb recruiting and retention decisions.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"Sit back and wait for an opportunity"
Does dumb arse Daley think that Barrett is going to get a job with a great roster. Clubs change coaches when their at rock bottom. Barrett hasn't showed anything to guarantee him a head role with a better roster anywhere. There are a number of other coaches who would get a gig before someone who has a 39% win ratio.
Daley couldn't coach if his life depended on it!
Fuck off Daley and Barrett. Both losers!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guys, at the end of the day, there’s a massive pool of coaches, ex-coaches and aspiring coaches who would jump at the opportunity to become an NRL coach.

Don’t read into the BS.

The Bulldogs are one of the biggest clubs in the NRL with one of the richest Leagues clubs in the country. They also boast a good junior league pool and have their own Centre of Excellence.

Every club within their cycle of successes and failures go through this, we will get through it.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All you guys bagging out the media.

The dogs board are at fault here. If they werent scummy, the media would have nothing to report on.

You dont want to admit it. But the media is right on this one. Why bring in a coach if he is going to get fucked by the board?

Fuck the board off FIRST.

Then chase coaches and players.