News Barrett blasts Bulldogs' failure to stick to plan

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Trent Barrett accused his team of blowing a golden chance of a breakthrough victory, citing the failure of players to make simple one-on-one tackles or stick to their attacking system as the catalyst for their 24-0 loss to Brisbane on Saturday night.

Barrett refused to sugar-coat just how poor the Bulldogs were against the Broncos, with a dour affair only opening up in the final 20 minutes of the game as Brisbane ran out four-tries-to-nil victors with Canterbury held scoreless for two straight games for the first time in club history.

The new coach has made no secret of how he needs to rebuild Canterbury and while he’s put his faith in former Roosters halfback Kyle Flanagan to lead the show, he wasn’t throwing the youngster under the bus after the loss as he felt the system broke down by individuals not doing their own roles.

“I just thought our attack was ordinary to say the least,” Barrett said.

“Your halves are pretty easy to blame when the attack falls down but there is a hell of a lot needs to go on around halfback for him to play well as well.

“He could’ve done a few things better tonight Kyle, but the attack revolves around 13 people on the football field.

“I thought we had enough possession there in the second half and just didn’t apply any pressure and didn’t build pressure and just wasn’t up to standard. We let them off the hook and it puts too much pressure on your defence in the end.

“It’s the NRL, that’s the standard we expect when we do get down there to execute what we’ve practiced and we didn’t, and in turn we put too much pressure on ourselves defensively at the back end of the game, and as was the case last week missing one-on-one tackles that individuals need to make.

“It’s on everyone, there is nothing wrong with the system but littered through it if someone misses their job or isn’t committed to what their doing in their role it’s the same as defensively. Your attacking system will break down if every individual in the team isn’t doing their job.”

Making matters worse for Barrett, hooker Jeremy Marshall-King suffered a suspected broken foot while Josh Jackson and bench forward Renouf Atoni were both put on report for separate first-half incidents.

The Bulldogs have now failed to score any points for successive games after last week’s 28-0 defeat to Penrith.

Canterbury have just one win from their last 12 games, that victory coming in round 19 last season when they upset South Sydney for a result that handed the Broncos the 2020 wooden spoon.

Barrett admitted it’s going to be hard to keep the players’ belief up as they face a tough task next week against South Sydney.

“It’s not going to matter who we play to be honest we need to fix our own backyard and fix some things quite quickly because there is some things in our game that aren’t good enough,” Barrett said.

“It’s keeping the belief there that we need to keep working hard and keep doing it.

“These blokes have been in this position for a while … there’s times when some accountability needs to come from individuals as well, there was tries we still could’ve stopped and that’s the standard we expect at this level, you make your tackles regardless of how fatigued you are and at the moment we’re not.

“It would be easy for me to throw everything out the window but we just have to stick to process and keep working hard.

“We are happy with like our intent and character for an hour but that’s a given in the NRL. There is others things you need to do well, you need to execute, you need to get your plays on, and that’s what the NRL is. It’s a combination of effort. You can’t just win on effort alone. You’ve got to fix a lot of things and at the moment we’re not giving ourselves a chance to win.”
How does Barrett believe we could've won that game? He uses the term "victory" very loosely. Someone tell him we lost by 24 points.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If pay was the coach he would have said the players tried hard the first half. But the bounce of the ball went the broncos way in the second half :p

and that he is proud of the boys and will spend the week focusing on more madness.

Last edited:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maybe its a bit like the Seilbold affect, I mean we have been playing dumb footy for a number of years.
Then Trent rocks up.
Its just a thought.
your spine are effectively the brains of the team, we have the weakest in the competition. Burton and a good 9 is a start for 2022 complimented by some front rowers with good leg speed, will make the world of difference

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
your spine are effectively the brains of the team, we have the weakest in the competition. Burton and a good 9 is a start for 2022 complimented by some front rowers with good leg speed, will make the world of difference
Agreed.
I dont beleive Avo and Flano are without brains either.
We had better field position yesterday.
Avo had 1 kick into the ingoal the he weighted to heavily, Flano had none from memory. No pressure, no trying to reap repeat sets if a try isnt on. This is basic instinctive stuff that they should have first grade NRL.
Avo gets the ball and half the time he just goes through the motions passing it. I see him doing this often late in the tackle count. Doesnt appear to be communiction between him and Flano. They are looking more lost as the season rolls on, doesnt make sense to me.
Im no footy expert, just how I see it.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Someone here doesn't like Barrett...
I have to admit it hasn't been enjoyable but can't believe some people already sharpening their daggers.
Fair go people, this is his third week not the third year !!!

crack

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Tbaz saying there is nothing wrong with the system is slightly concerning. It just means he’s going to be stubborn with it and not change a thing. It’s great if it eventually clicks and I hope it does but if it doesn’t it’s going to get ugly.

I don’t think Tbaz will be sleeping much over the next few weeks!

If you don’t have the players that can execute the system then isn’t there something wrong with the system? I guess time will tell.
Pay, georgallis, baz - 3 coaches have the same in common , a shit team of reserve graders. We need a big clean out

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Barrett why don't you f**k off with your stupid excuses what game plan .The players you put in are rubbish and not NRL standard players axe them clown.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have been a staunch Hoppa supporter but he does not have the pace or lateral movement to play centres and this should be his last season with us. It is either wing or NSW cup for the rest of the season
Don't get me wrong, he has been great for us over a number of years, but he has always been a little slow, but very skillful. This year he has been slower than a 200 year old tortoise with 3 legs & his defence has been Kerrod Holland or Brenko Lee like.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And replace them with who?
Exactly. We can't replace them with the NSW Cup players until Rd 11. I can't stand seeing Hoppa in the side but we're stuck with him for at least 8 more games. If he's still in the side in Rd 11 then yes put the dagger into Baz.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I reckon if he said he needed to change things after round 3 I’d be more worried. I’m glad he’s sticking to his guns and has belief.
Yeh....sounds like Anthony Seibold and HIS conviction in his all mighty gameplan. Maybe his gameplan isn't suited to our squad. Teams play different styles. What works for one doesn't work for another.
Did Baz ever do an apprenticeship under Belamy?...or who was his apprenticeship under?
There's no doubt the players need to freshen up, relax and play more off the cuff in attack. Why isn't Allen following the forwards up looking for a offload? Why can't Avo organise the backs, the angles, the timing of their runs. Forwards can run up together. More players in motion creates confusion for defences.
Are we terribly unfit? Can we slow the ball down a bit more in defence?wrestle better?...many refs weren't calling many 6 agains this last weekend...so the better teams laid on in D for longer. Does ANY of our team have footy smarts? ...to be able to see opportunities and adapt on the field? Or is it all up to the coach? Do we look switched on or confused?
There's no use saying players didn't execute. Maybe they don't understand or maybe it's a confidence or ability thing? All I know is that we are spending the salary cap and many players are off contract season end. I thought teams are suppose to go better when it's a major contract year?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Trent Barrett accused his team of blowing a golden chance of a breakthrough victory, citing the failure of players to make simple one-on-one tackles or stick to their attacking system as the catalyst for their 24-0 loss to Brisbane on Saturday night.

Barrett refused to sugar-coat just how poor the Bulldogs were against the Broncos, with a dour affair only opening up in the final 20 minutes of the game as Brisbane ran out four-tries-to-nil victors with Canterbury held scoreless for two straight games for the first time in club history.

The new coach has made no secret of how he needs to rebuild Canterbury and while he’s put his faith in former Roosters halfback Kyle Flanagan to lead the show, he wasn’t throwing the youngster under the bus after the loss as he felt the system broke down by individuals not doing their own roles.

“I just thought our attack was ordinary to say the least,” Barrett said.

“Your halves are pretty easy to blame when the attack falls down but there is a hell of a lot needs to go on around halfback for him to play well as well.

“He could’ve done a few things better tonight Kyle, but the attack revolves around 13 people on the football field.

“I thought we had enough possession there in the second half and just didn’t apply any pressure and didn’t build pressure and just wasn’t up to standard. We let them off the hook and it puts too much pressure on your defence in the end.

“It’s the NRL, that’s the standard we expect when we do get down there to execute what we’ve practiced and we didn’t, and in turn we put too much pressure on ourselves defensively at the back end of the game, and as was the case last week missing one-on-one tackles that individuals need to make.

“It’s on everyone, there is nothing wrong with the system but littered through it if someone misses their job or isn’t committed to what their doing in their role it’s the same as defensively. Your attacking system will break down if every individual in the team isn’t doing their job.”

Making matters worse for Barrett, hooker Jeremy Marshall-King suffered a suspected broken foot while Josh Jackson and bench forward Renouf Atoni were both put on report for separate first-half incidents.

The Bulldogs have now failed to score any points for successive games after last week’s 28-0 defeat to Penrith.

Canterbury have just one win from their last 12 games, that victory coming in round 19 last season when they upset South Sydney for a result that handed the Broncos the 2020 wooden spoon.

Barrett admitted it’s going to be hard to keep the players’ belief up as they face a tough task next week against South Sydney.

“It’s not going to matter who we play to be honest we need to fix our own backyard and fix some things quite quickly because there is some things in our game that aren’t good enough,” Barrett said.

“It’s keeping the belief there that we need to keep working hard and keep doing it.

“These blokes have been in this position for a while … there’s times when some accountability needs to come from individuals as well, there was tries we still could’ve stopped and that’s the standard we expect at this level, you make your tackles regardless of how fatigued you are and at the moment we’re not.

“It would be easy for me to throw everything out the window but we just have to stick to process and keep working hard.

“We are happy with like our intent and character for an hour but that’s a given in the NRL. There is others things you need to do well, you need to execute, you need to get your plays on, and that’s what the NRL is. It’s a combination of effort. You can’t just win on effort alone. You’ve got to fix a lot of things and at the moment we’re not giving ourselves a chance to win.”
As a coach you can give a player an instruction repeatedly and you can also get them to practice what you want at training but if on game day they fail repeatedly then sometimes it's a case that that player is simply not good enough (due to lack of skill or attitude) and they need to be replaced. Hopa, Napa and others need to go to reserve grade to see if that can motivate them to lift.

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I always wanted Griffin. He has the skill set to rebuild our club. We are fucked now for another 3 years unless we can move Trent into a demountable office

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
you'd hate to sit in on the video session this week .. it will probably take up most of the week..

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t think Doorey working on his game is Reggie’s is a mistake. Whilst he has a lot of up side compared to Waddell and will take the position eventually his defensive reads and lateral movement were not great and Waddell is only there cause Baz can trust him to make his tackles and work hard. In a very young inexperienced team I don’t think brining more inexperience is the answer straight away. I’m sure Doorey will get a chance soon enough.
He doesnt make his tackles though. His missed tackles have actually lead to at least 2 tries in 3 games.