News Barrett a done deal as Bulldogs begin roster overhaul

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Erm, can you please leave Clark alone! Although to be fair, i could see this happening. We have been linked with Isaac Luke (great...not) which seemed odd he was coming to be an interchange hooker. Seems like there could be some life to it, although he is on quite a long contract from memory so a transfer fee would probably be needed as we paid one for him when we signed him from Castleford. Clark should be the Eng/GB hooker really, and if Hodgson and Clark are in the NRL together you should see that Clark is the better of the two. One thing Clark does not have that Hodgson does is the kicking game though.
He's a gem that's for sure I'm hoping you guys win the title this season as that my make Clark feels like his job is done. Is Inglis playing when the comp restarts or is that for 2021 ? If so I dare say Clark won't even entertain the move until he's played a season with GI as thats the likely year the title comes

Wire_mark

New Pup
Reaction score
Its something we are all looking forward to, seeing GI over here. The reports we've seen of him, he's looking trim. Towards the end of his Souths career he seemed to be getting bigger. I know he's retired and been out the game 18 months but he's still only 32/33. With games being less intense and also much less media interest (players can go around and be unnoticed virtually) hopefully he can regain his love and appetite.

Clark though, he won the Challenge Cup last year which was at his third attempt i think and was over the moon. He's played in GF's over here. I can see him going at the end of the year. Especially when he looks over at the lads at Canberra and seeing them do well and then Thompson starting out well with you guys.

One i'd love to see over there is the niggly sod at Hull - Jake Connor. If only to see him get snotted :-)

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its something we are all looking forward to, seeing GI over here. The reports we've seen of him, he's looking trim. Towards the end of his Souths career he seemed to be getting bigger. I know he's retired and been out the game 18 months but he's still only 32/33. With games being less intense and also much less media interest (players can go around and be unnoticed virtually) hopefully he can regain his love and appetite.

Clark though, he won the Challenge Cup last year which was at his third attempt i think and was over the moon. He's played in GF's over here. I can see him going at the end of the year. Especially when he looks over at the lads at Canberra and seeing them do well and then Thompson starting out well with you guys.

One i'd love to see over there is the niggly sod at Hull - Jake Connor. If only to see him get snotted :-)

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Funny how all the signings I mentioned two years ago are being talked about now.

the next casualty has to be Hoppa. He's on a lot but not what we need.

thsi is my squad next year if this comes to fruition.
1. Averillo
2. Smith
3. Cotric
4. Gildart
5. Holland
6. Foran
7. Burton/Lewis
8. Thompson
9. Clark
10. Walmsley
11. Jackson
12. CHN
13. Elliott
14 RFM
15 JMK
16 Napa
17. Who cares but maybe Ogden

That is a premiership winning team!

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im going to take it that the club views Hopoate as fullback going into 2021 if they are chasing Gildart and Bird.

westernbulldog83

Waterboy
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Funny how all the signings I mentioned two years ago are being talked about now.

1. Averillo
2. Smith
3. Cotric
4. Gildart
5. Holland
6. Foran
7. Burton/Lewis
8. Thompson
9. Clark
10. Walmsley
11. Jackson
12. CHN
13. Elliott
14 RFM
15 JMK
16 Napa

Holland ? Really? Please seek help

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/teams/canterbury-bankstown-bulldogs/

Yes Hopoate, Will that is, has been re signed for 2021. They also need to re sign Elliott from that list of off contract players. I’d be 50/50 in keeping Cogger, RFM and even Foran. Cogger seems on the outer but he does have a very good kicking game and believe he may have more to offer but only at the right price. RFM has lifted his game this year as he had to with the amount of injuries and suspensions to the club. He played more Canterbury Cup games last year but he to could be kept at the right price. I was keen for the club to NOT re sign Foran as he’s a crock BUT he says he’s keen to stay on for at least a year knowing he would be on a LOT less for a one year extension. If they could retain him for 1 year at NO more than 300K I’d say re sign him or if he wants more, then it’s thanks for your services. The rest of those off contract Id be keen to let go.

Che

Waterboy
Reaction score
Clarke has always been one of the standouts for England over the years whenever I've seen him play. I never really considered him a realistic option but if he is, he'd be a brilliant signing.

I don't know much about Gildart but he looks likely. Throw Burton in with those two and Cotric and we're easily a top 8 team next season.
Gildart is a gun. We need this signing

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1 Jake Averillo / Albert Hopoate / Charlie Staines
2 DWZ
3 Nick Cotric
4 Oliver Gildart / Stephen Crichton
5 Alex Johnston / Stephen Crichton / Curtis Rona
6 Kieran Foran / Jackson Hastings
7 Matt Burton with Jai Field as back-up
8 Luke Thompson
9 Daryl Clarke with Tom Starling as back-up
10 Addin Fonua Blake
11 CHN
12 Renouf Toomaga
13 Adam Elliott

14 Josh Jackson
15 RFM
16 Josh Kerr
17 ?

Shed Tolman - sick of seeing him waste hit-ups and never hit hard in defence. Probably on around 500K also. Replace him with a BIG strong hard running youngster.
Shed W. Hopa - good hands but too slow unfortunately. How many clean breaks does he make ? Plus I reckon he's on about 600K and definitely not worth it
Shed Reimis - too lazy plus he's now getting penalised and suspended regularly. I think he'd be on okay money too - around 300-400K
Shed Napa - not worth the 600K he's on. Replace with someone with a bit of mongrel who can hit hard both in attack and defence.
Shed Lewis, Cogger, Montoya, Holland
Are we playing football manager on the Xbox now?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Why the FUDGE do we want a technically correct slow ball player As our fullback!?

That's like having Alistair Cook at number 8 in a T20

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a roster rebuild was required why did they only recruit reserve graders for Pay?

Belmore Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If a roster rebuild was required why did they only recruit reserve graders for Pay?
Surely Pay had some sort of say in who was signed.

Didn’t he coach Meaney, Stimson, Cogger in lower grades?? I could be wrong though.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m happy with barrett I think he can change us or at least play a attractive attack again with a decent assistant and strength and conditioning coach a good pre season results will come
Now having Thompson, crotric, having a crack at Addo Carr, burton, Darryl Clarke from Warrington would help and Oliver Gildart wants to try nrl it’s a start I’d sign Gildart to a 2 year deal 2 year player option can’t hurt to see how he goes. Foran on a cheaper deal and maybe a few players from the panthers a good start

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

1. Averillo
2. Smith
3. Cotric
4. Gildart
5. Holland
6. Foran
7. Burton/Lewis
8. Thompson
9. Clark
10. Walmsley
11. Jackson
12. CHN
13. Elliott
14 RFM
15 JMK
16 Napa

Fark Holland dude get over him seriously.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sensing a mood change in regards to Barrett, what are peeps expectations from his 3 years now that he IS signed?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sensing a mood change in regards to Barrett, what are peeps expectations from his 3 years now that he IS signed?
Hopefully it’s quicker but these are my expectations.

2021- improvement
2022- top 8
2023- top 4 serious contenders

Last edited:

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Mate i was in the uk on holidays last year and went to the Challenge Cup final the day after i arrived. Clark was a deserved winner of the Lance Todd mom trophy withour question. The 2 others that got my attention were Luke Thompson and Alex Walmsley. You guys were underdogs but deserved to win and even the St Helens fans sitting near me said that too.

There were quite a number of ex NRL players in that game but the only one I thought had improved from when i last saw him play was Ben Murdoch Masilla.

I usually watch the Thursday and Friday night Super League games shown on Cable TV live in Oz. From what i have seen i don't rate Gildart that highly but he has played for England or GB. Personally i think Mark Percival from St Helens is a better centre and he seems a handy back up goal kicker when Laclan Coote has been out injured.

Like others i see difference in how the game is played in the 2 hemispheres. The right players from the opposite side of the world can make a point of difference. The Bulldogs have had a deal of succes with English . Players over the years. Mick Adams, Brian Lockwood and James Graham were all skillful forwards. As for backs Gary Conolly and Jonathan Davies did well for us in their short stints.

By far the best English backs to play here were Gary Schofield and Ellery Hanley for the Tigers although i think Ellery was better suited to lock in that era.

The beauty of having GUN players from the UK or NZ is they don't play State if Origin in what we consider a normal season which 2020 isn't. Backing up to play an NRL game on Friday Night after an Origin game on Wednesday night has to be tough.

Last edited:

Mike Z

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You are one sarcastic deliberately acting stupid persona to cause trouble for a giggle.
Or maybe your truly one delusional human being.
You keep poking the bear.. but just remember one day the BEAR WILL EAT YOU
Nasheed here,

1. Averillo
2. Smith
3. Cotric
4. Gildart
5. Holland
6. Foran
7. Burton/Lewis
8. Thompson
9. Clark
10. Walmsley
11. Jackson
12. CHN