News Barrett a done deal as Bulldogs begin roster overhaul

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Adrian Proszenko and Sarah Keoghan

Canterbury could have a very different look about them by the time Trent Barrett arrives, as the club chases another England international and considers overhauling how talent flows into the top grade.

Barrett has officially agreed terms with Canterbury on a three-year deal, but won’t make the shift until the end of the season to ensure there is no disruption to Penrith’s premiership campaign.
An official announcement could be coupled with the trumpeting of a new sponsor in a timely boost for the bottom-placed club. The Barrett deal, however, is done, ending any suggestion that a late contender - such as former Cowboys coach Paul Green - could come into calculations to replace Dean Pay.

Steve Georgallis will remain the caretaker coach until the end of the season, giving Barrett a fresh start once he finishes his commitments at the foot of the mountains in October.
Preparations are already being made for Barrett’s arrival. Having recently added Luke Thompson to the squad, officials are negotiating with fellow English international Oliver Gildart. The 23-year-old centre remains contracted to Wigan next year but has a buyout clause that could result in an early departure. The Wests Tigers and Titans are also in the mix for his services after he engaged an Australian agent to explore NRL opportunities.

The Bulldogs are looking to strengthen their outside backs, signing Canberra’s Nick Cotric on a three-year deal and former Dragon Tim Lafai until the end of the season. Gildart would be a huge coup for a side that has scored the least amount of points in 2020.

The Bulldogs are also looking to bolster their hooking options and are considering another English international, Daryl Clark. Speaking on Nine’s Wide World of Sports last week, Andrew Johns said Clark would be a prudent purchase for the Bulldogs.
“I had a quick look at their squad – they need to buy a world-class dummy half,” Johns said. “There’s one in England called Daryl Clark, who plays for Warrington, really top-line player.”
Aside from scouring the English market, the Bulldogs are considering another fundamental change to the way they source talent. There are discussions about taking up a new feeder team arrangement to cut costs. The most likely outcome is to partner with Mounties. The club currently partners with the Raiders, but could end up in a new arrangement with the ‘family club’.

If the deal goes ahead, it would mean players who don’t make Barrett’s top 17 next year will no longer play under the Bulldogs brand.

Barrett, meanwhile, is hoping to convince Corey Harawira-Naera to remain at Belmore instead of joining either the Dragons, Raiders or Warriors. The pair have a strong relationship from their time together at the foot of the mountains.

Current Panthers players have also spoken in glowing terms about Barrett.
“I had Baz as my under-20s coach,” Sione Katoa said. “I was still pretty young coming through the grades there. He was good for me because I was obviously in the spine and he helped me out a lot.

“He will be really good. He will be awesome. Us as footy players, we’ve just got to get on with it and get ready for the footy side of things. Obviously coaches and that have input on how we play, but I’ve had a relationship with Baz back at Panthers.

“He’s a halfback he’s got a lot of brains of different plays and how the game works and you can see it in what the Panthers have brought this year. So Baz will bring the more attacking side of things and I think, from there on, the players will just take over.”

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So we have apparently signed Cotric and are going after oliver. And we already have Hoppa, Averilo as centres as well. LOL the club needs to make announcements to end the speculation

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Are we spending the entire celery cap on our backline? Lol. Hope we get Clark, fuck we need a hooker.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Clark and Burton please. Once cotric is announced I’d get young Albert hoppa . Then I’d like to see gildart maybe or see If rona won’t come back? Would love to see fisher Harris or someone come along too.

1. Hoppa bro’s or alvero
2. Smith/Rona
3. Cotric
4. Will hoppa/Gildart/lafai
5. Dwz
6. Foran/alvero maybe?
7. Burton
8. Thompson
9. Clarke
10. Fisher Harris or someone like this hard nose prick
11. Chn
12. Rfm
13. Jacko

14. Renouf
15. Ogden
16. Sue
17. Napa

Fuck me that is a far better line up and surely realistic.

That’s assuming Elliott and Tolman etc go fuck offload Napa and run c smith or Britt maybe to make the $ work.

If chn bails then Elliott is an option to keep.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we have apparently signed Cotric and are going after oliver. And we already have Hoppa, Averilo as centres as well. LOL the club needs to make announcements to end the speculation
avo is a halfback

Wire_mark

New Pup
Reaction score
Erm, can you please leave Clark alone! Although to be fair, i could see this happening. We have been linked with Isaac Luke (great...not) which seemed odd he was coming to be an interchange hooker. Seems like there could be some life to it, although he is on quite a long contract from memory so a transfer fee would probably be needed as we paid one for him when we signed him from Castleford. Clark should be the Eng/GB hooker really, and if Hodgson and Clark are in the NRL together you should see that Clark is the better of the two. One thing Clark does not have that Hodgson does is the kicking game though.

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
Erm, can you please leave Clark alone! Although to be fair, i could see this happening. We have been linked with Isaac Luke (great...not) which seemed odd he was coming to be an interchange hooker. Seems like there could be some life to it, although he is on quite a long contract from memory so a transfer fee would probably be needed as we paid one for him when we signed him from Castleford. Clark should be the Eng/GB hooker really, and if Hodgson and Clark are in the NRL together you should see that Clark is the better of the two. One thing Clark does not have that Hodgson does is the kicking game though.
Good insight, cheers.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
played halfback in juniors
Yeah but plenty of kids start somewhere and end up elsewhere. Growing into the bodies and and the difference between junior footy and grade is pretty stark.

He just strikes me as a player that reacts to what’s happening and not really someone who controls a game, more heads up.

Either way he is a future gun and must be in there.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have to agree about your reservations about Isaac Luke. Even at his best I thought he was a penalty machine and error prone. His dummy half scoots were his only big positive.

It's interesting to see a wider range of players leaving Super league to play in the NRL. I can only imagine it will be a good thing for the game long term. It's been mostly a one way street with NRL players leaving for the UK. As mentioned, we've scalped some great forwards recently, but it's typically been untested backs that try their hand in the NRL. I don't necessarily see either competition as inferior. Buy they have some differences. I'd say that the NRL has become a competition where there is almost a minimum size requirement to make the top grade, while Super League seems to be more forgiving of size and relies more on game smarts, footwork and pace on the edges.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah but plenty of kids start somewhere and end up elsewhere. Growing into the bodies and and the difference between junior footy and grade is pretty stark.

He just strikes me as a player that reacts to what’s happening and not really someone who controls a game, more heads up.

Would love to see him at fullback. Too inexperienced to go there though?

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very similar to Ben barba when was coming through the grades, dangerous with ball in hand, I see him as our future no: 1 and a dam good one too. Here's Hoping we don't lose this kid, he's a special talent

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Building nicely..

3. Crighton
6. Burton
7. Cleary
9. Api

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Clarke has always been one of the standouts for England over the years whenever I've seen him play. I never really considered him a realistic option but if he is, he'd be a brilliant signing.

I don't know much about Gildart but he looks likely. Throw Burton in with those two and Cotric and we're easily a top 8 team next season.

Wire_mark

New Pup
Reaction score
Isaac Luke was always too niggly for me, leading to too many penalties. He is getting on a bit now also. Clark though is in his prime at 27ish i think. His main attribute is ability to get out of dummy half, scoot and break tackles. Gets the forwards going which Thompson would thrive on.

I dont know why the British backs dont seem to do well but as you say one of the main difference is the size. From an outsiders point of view who follows all the NRL in the UK, i may be wrong but there are a lot of polynesian/pacific players who are massive in comparison to the British players who have size and speed with a fair bit of skill. The two comps are completely different, more off the cuff in the UK which puts teams under pressure. Under Tony Smith we used to throw the ball about willy nilly but was never the right style for the GF's in the wet where we always lose although we have a good record in the challenge cup where its summer and we play expansive. That being said we now have Steve Price as head coach and he is pretty clueless making a team attack. Granted hes got us to GF's and Challenge Cups but despite the players we have we should be winning more (Widdop, Blake Austin etc).

When we play Wigan, against Oliver Gildart he was never a player i was too worried about. He may go well if you get him but i dont think hes a superstar but he is only 23 so has time to adapt and improve.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 Jake Averillo / Albert Hopoate / Charlie Staines
2 DWZ
3 Nick Cotric
4 Oliver Gildart / Stephen Crichton
5 Alex Johnston / Stephen Crichton / Curtis Rona
6 Kieran Foran / Jackson Hastings
7 Matt Burton with Jai Field as back-up
8 Luke Thompson
9 Daryl Clarke with Tom Starling as back-up
10 Addin Fonua Blake
11 CHN
12 Renouf Toomaga
13 Adam Elliott

14 Josh Jackson
15 RFM
16 Josh Kerr
17 ?

Shed Tolman - sick of seeing him waste hit-ups and never hit hard in defence. Probably on around 500K also. Replace him with a BIG strong hard running youngster.
Shed W. Hopa - good hands but too slow unfortunately. How many clean breaks does he make ? Plus I reckon he's on about 600K and definitely not worth it
Shed Reimis - too lazy plus he's now getting penalised and suspended regularly. I think he'd be on okay money too - around 300-400K
Shed Napa - not worth the 600K he's on. Replace with someone with a bit of mongrel who can hit hard both in attack and defence.
Shed Lewis, Cogger, Montoya, Holland

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
1 Jake Averillo / Albert Hopoate / Charlie Staines
2 DWZ
3 Nick Cotric
4 Oliver Gildart / Stephen Crichton
5 Alex Johnston / Stephen Crichton / Curtis Rona
6 Kieran Foran / Jackson Hastings
7 Matt Burton with Jai Field as back-up
8 Luke Thompson
9 Daryl Clarke with Tom Starling as back-up
10 Addin Fonua Blake
11 CHN
12 Renouf Toomaga
13 Adam Elliott

14 Josh Jackson
15 RFM
16 Josh Kerr
17 ?

Shed Tolman - sick of seeing him waste hit-ups and never hit hard in defence. Probably on around 500K also. Replace him with a BIG strong hard running youngster.
Shed W. Hopa - good hands but too slow unfortunately. How many clean breaks does he make ? Plus I reckon he's on about 600K and definitely not worth it
Shed Reimis - too lazy plus he's now getting penalised and suspended regularly. I think he'd be on okay money too - around 300-400K
Shed Napa - not worth the 600K he's on. Replace with someone with a bit of mongrel who can hit hard both in attack and defence.
Shed Lewis, Cogger, Montoya, Holland
You need to stop posting this shit