Bailey at 7?

gregeastwood

Waterboy
Reaction score
It’s honestly hard to try and pick who would be the best halfback for us or even one that can just fill in until we find the right one. Imo they’ll start with Averillo but if so they have to stick solid. They can’t keep on chopping and changing that’ll just ruin the teams combinations. That’s what’s ruined us the past couple of years.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give the kid a bit of time I love what I saw from him this year could definitely be the 7 of the future but no need to put it all on him right away

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Bailey is a better 9. He plays a little sideward in the halves , where as
At 9 he is playing very direct against the less mobile forwards. All his best work was when he played at 9 this year .

Wakeham to start at 7 with Avo at centre

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Averillo at this stage of his career looks like a rabbit in the headlights playing 7. Bbo hasn't shown he's ready for a full time 7 roll either from what I've seen. Perhaps an off season could change things.
I would probably give Wakeham another opportunity, he has some decent touches and still has the confidence for 7. One of those three will hopefully hopefully come up trumps as the money needs to be spent elsewhere.
My two bobs anywho.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bailey needs time to develop and play some reserve grade. We dont really need to rush him into first grade same with alamoti, the step up from sg/ jersey flegg to first grade is big and they need to develop toughness and to adapt to the environment of playing against men and not just skinny boys.
I agree. BBO is my boy, but he needs time to develop and not burn out. So he either plays C Cup, or he plays off the bench. Averilo has had some good touches thisbyear, but doesnt seem to be an a hb. This being said though, he did shoulder the playmaking duties, which i think kind of stifled his natural game. With Burton coming next year i think he can do a good job there. Players like Burton make the players around them better, so with some luck averilo will develop nicely there.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As long as he's in the 17 i'll would think our fanbase would be happy. He showed more than all our other spine players this year in very limited minutes, but not wanting to rush him is also a good plan. No.14 for now would be good.

The problem is Averillo isn't a halfback, he really should be given a shot at FB even with Dufty and a full preseason of training there where his best strength ie his running game can be utilised.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as he's in the 17 i'll would think our fanbase would be happy. He showed more than all our other spine players this year in very limited minutes, but not wanting to rush him is also a good plan. No.14 for now would be good.

The problem is Averillo isn't a halfback, he really should be given a shot at FB even with Dufty and a full preseason of training there where his best strength ie his running game can be utilised.
Getting the coach's award after an average year in the halves shows that Baz will start Avo at half. But I also rate BBO and reckon he is way more of a half than a hooker, and will start at half sooner or later. I'd also love to see Avo at fullback. I expect at some point we'll tire of Dufty's inconsistency and terrible defence so there could be some interesting players shifts.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Originally I (like most of us) wanted Bailey in starting 7. However I'm unsure now, we have slot of good young players coming through and they would benefit from playing reserve grade together... But I guess that all comes down to covids impact next season, we are lucky we have Gould as I believe he's the best man to manage a situation like this

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I liked him way more off the bench into 9. Wasn’t impressed with any time he spent in the halves lol
Because he played 6. If he was the general and shot caller would be a different outcome. The small sample size we got of Bailey was that his instinct and playing ability as a 7 is better than Averillo

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who’s this Rajab kid I keep hearing about? What’s the go with him? Position, where he came from etc?

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best case scenario: BBO impresses as a 7 during the preseason and gets the gig and we play well and win a good chunk of our first half a dozen games. Then so much of the outside noise and pressure just goes away and he and the team gains confidence.

Worse case scenario: We flip flop between Averillo/Wakeham/Flannagan/BBO all season long

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Best case scenario: BBO impresses as a 7 during the preseason and gets the gig and we play well and win a good chunk of our first half a dozen games. Then so much of the outside noise and pressure just goes away and he and the team gains confidence.

Worse case scenario: We flip flop between Averillo/Wakeham/Flannagan/BBO all season long
Or we win with Wakeham, Jake, etc. It doesn't matter who plays, we just need to start winning and building combinations.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting the coach's award after an average year in the halves shows that Baz will start Avo at half. But I also rate BBO and reckon he is way more of a half than a hooker, and will start at half sooner or later.
This award is more concerning from a coaching standpoint. Baz watched all games live and at least a couple of times on tape. How he could come away thinking averillo was his best player this year. Is a massive worry

BBO hasn’t played any hooker in his development until he was thrown in at NRL level this year. I ageee he is much more a half prospect than a hooker.