Bad recruiting

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I understand it's hard for them to attract players, but they do it to themselves.. no serious marquee player is going to see them as attractive because they know they will be in a team who spends a huge chunk of its cap on fringe players or has beens.. that's what I believe our board is trying to avoid.. just because we've been at the bottom for a few years does not mean it's desperation stations and I believe the team we have currently will get us back into the 8 this year, and then we can unleash the so called "war chest"
100% agree. I think the Latrell situation had a few moving parts to it, but considering he's signed at Soufs for less than half what the Tigpies were allegedly offering, that probably tells you something.
They've been a basket case in both management and coaching for more than 10 years. At one stage they were paying 3 ex-coaches in Sheens, Potter and Taylor.
That said, Madge is a good even though hard-arsed coach and he'll get a few off-side as it seems happened with Matterson, but he will likely attract some decent players as well as soon as the mess from Cleary's 'bus' is cleaned up - which includes Reynolds and Mbye.
Maybe then they can start aiming for the Top 8 and not Top 9 :-) as long as it's not at our expense!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
100% agree. I think the Latrell situation had a few moving parts to it, but considering he's signed at Soufs for less than half what the Tigpies were allegedly offering, that probably tells you something.
They've been a basket case in both management and coaching for more than 10 years. At one stage they were paying 3 ex-coaches in Sheens, Potter and Taylor.
That said, Madge is a good even though hard-arsed coach and he'll get a few off-side as it seems happened with Matterson, but he will likely attract some decent players as well as soon as the mess from Cleary's 'bus' is cleaned up - which includes Reynolds and Mbye.
Maybe then they can start aiming for the Top 8 and not Top 9 :-) as long as it's not at our expense!

Latrell's carry on, coupled with his laziness/ already got his mind set on retirement would have been a big factor, and I applaud the board for stepping away early, rather than be strung along like other clubs... yeah they have had some real morons running that joint... the only good decision they made was to sign Madge, but they are still a long way from changing the perception of the club.. oh man.. Ivan's bus... that was so typical Tigers... paying big money for guys that nobody else was chasing :tearsofjoy: but like I said, it's not desperation stations for us.. a lot of fans focus on the negatives.. they seem to forget that there was a stage in which it was said we couldn't recruit till 2021, we then went on to pick up CHN, DWZ, and NAPA all within 12 months.. a few more signings like those and we're laughing

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have some respect for Madge, he's definitely a hard ass, he took one look at our books and walked, that took courage. But, as time passed, I think he might have become a bit desperate for a gig and hence signed with the Tigers. He's following similar process to what he did at Souths in 2012/2013, assembling a decent football department around him at the same time as overhauling the teams. I they let him, he'll get there, just needs time.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Latrell's carry on, coupled with his laziness/ already got his mind set on retirement would have been a big factor, and I applaud the board for stepping away early, rather than be strung along like other clubs... yeah they have had some real morons running that joint... the only good decision they made was to sign Madge, but they are still a long way from changing the perception of the club.. oh man.. Ivan's bus... that was so typical Tigers... paying big money for guys that nobody else was chasing :tearsofjoy: but like I said, it's not desperation stations for us.. a lot of fans focus on the negatives.. they seem to forget that there was a stage in which it was said we couldn't recruit till 2021, we then went on to pick up CHN, DWZ, and NAPA all within 12 months.. a few more signings like those and we're laughing
Yeah mate, I’m confident within a few months a lot more will make sense to the masses and the Kennel will be a lot happier place :-).
I’ve enjoyed the entertainment on here, but I’d rather be talking about the footy over what the board allegedly has or hasn’t done.
We’re headed for better times. If I’m wrong I’ll eat my words, but I really believe it.

Last edited:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah mate, I’m confident within a few months a lot more will make sense to the masses and the Kennel will be a lot happier place :-). I’ve enjoyed the entertainment on here, but I’d rather be talking about the footy over what the board allegedly has or hasn’t done. We’re headed for better times. If I’m wrong I’ll eat my words, but I really believe it.

yep, and the position we were in, it was never going to be a quick fix.. but if current representatives have been happy to sign with us already, then there is no reason why we won't attract more of the same in the near future

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I have some respect for Madge, he's definitely a hard ass, he took one look at our books and walked, that took courage. But, as time passed, I think he might have become a bit desperate for a gig and hence signed with the Tigers. He's following similar process to what he did at Souths in 2012/2013, assembling a decent football department around him at the same time as overhauling the teams. I they let him, he'll get there, just needs time.

Go Dogs
Was the Madge story (looking at our books and walking) ever verified? I was told the same thing but it's never been 100% confirmed without any doubt.
Good coach but at the same time don't think he would've fitted either - he's another Hasler style 'my way or the highway' type of fella - not what would've helped us through the rough times.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Was the Madge story (looking at our books and walking) ever verified? I was told the same thing but it's never been 100% confirmed without any doubt.
Good coach but at the same time don't think he would've fitted either - he's another Hasler style 'my way or the highway' type of fella - not what would've helped us through the rough times.
My source is rock solid, he definitely looked and walked. He did a great job resurrecting the Wabbits teams, top to bottom, and I'm sure he will do the same at the Tigers. He would have been OK for us too, but it wasn't to be.

"Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe told NRL.com that the Tigers patience at market has been rewarded, and left them capable of going to market once more before the mid-season transfer cut-off on June 30."

Source https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/31/tigers-have-cap-space-to-keep-up-aggressive-market-approach/

Something a few on here could learn, patience.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My source is rock solid, he definitely looked and walked. He did a great job resurrecting the Wabbits teams, top to bottom, and I'm sure he will do the same at the Tigers. He would have been OK for us too, but it wasn't to be.

"Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe told NRL.com that the Tigers patience at market has been rewarded, and left them capable of going to market once more before the mid-season transfer cut-off on June 30."

Source https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/31/tigers-have-cap-space-to-keep-up-aggressive-market-approach/

Something a few on here could learn, patience.

Go Dogs
Cool, thanks. I'd definitely heard the story, just wasn't sure it was 100% but if you're verifying it makes sense.
In any event I prefer that Madge said no than Ivan saying yes :-)
Agree re: patience. Sigh.

Last edited:

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really think this is a make or break year for us. How the 2020 team performs will have the most significant bearing on attracting 2021+ recruits. Since we haven’t any marquees, if the boys really play their guts out as a team, and they have been trained to play for 90mins (not 80, they will need to be firing right up to the hooter), and Shifty’s got our halves attack humming, the results will show and we’ll win games.

This will represent the dogs as an attractive proposition for future recruits, who will want to be here (not just use us as a bargaining tool).

But...if we start 2020 like 2019, we are fucked for years to come. It won’t matter how much money we have for recruits, we won’t attract any quality at all.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really think this is a make or break year for us. How the 2020 team performs will have the most significant bearing on attracting 2021+ recruits. Since we haven’t any marquees, if the boys really play their guts out as a team, and they have been trained to play for 90mins (not 80, they will need to be firing right up to the hooter), and Shifty’s got our halves attack humming, the results will show and we’ll win games.

This will represent the dogs as an attractive proposition for future recruits, who will want to be here (not just use us as a bargaining tool).

But...if we start 2020 like 2019, we are fucked for years to come. It won’t matter how much money we have for recruits, we won’t attract any quality at all.
I think you throw money at a marquee along with the prospect of a good coach, they will come. But money alone, will be hard like you said

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

This is how I see it aswell. I think players will be attracted if they see that the club has done a 180 and is looking bright for the future. That attraction I think will be based on how we perform this year on the field. It appears the team culture/vibe of the place is good so.
We must have a big season. We have issues but the biggest issue I see it is that we need our halves to play consistent first grade NRL footy. Im not confident, I dont think Shifty will make that difference. I also think the comp is weak. Cherry Evans being the QLD captain, big $$ being payed for mediocre players, Knights imploded. There seems to be a big gap between say the top 6 teams and the rest. Melbourne cant get it done and I have a feeling there run is over. So who knows, only time will tell. Bring on round 1.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you throw money at a marquee along with the prospect of a good coach, they will come. But money alone, will be hard like you said
This is our problem...we don't currently have a coach capable of attracting high quality players and our team is not a top 8 team. We need to be paying overs to attract marquee players and the club will not do that (understandably based on what's happened in the past). But if you are a marquee player and you had a chance to go to the rabbits, roosters, storm and other more successful clubs, than who would you sign with. We will have all this money to spend in 2021 yet we will find it very difficult to attract marquee players. This is why the way we perform this year will determine the type of players we can attract.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
This is our problem...we don't currently have a coach capable of attracting high quality players and our team is not a top 8 team. We need to be paying overs to attract marquee players and the club will not do that (understandably based on what's happened in the past). But if you are a marquee player and you had a chance to go to the rabbits, roosters, storm and other more successful clubs, than who would you sign with. We will have all this money to spend in 2021 yet we will find it very difficult to attract marquee players. This is why the way we perform this year will determine the type of players we can attract.
A team in our position isn't going to be able to attract a top coach either. Pay's here for a reason. No one else wants to risk their reputation. Also they're already with other clubs. Flanagan was the only one I could see available (that is an upgrade) and he's being t'd up for the Dragons coaching position.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A team in our position isn't going to be able to attract a top coach either. Pay's here for a reason. No one else wants to risk their reputation. Also they're already with other clubs. Flanagan was the only one I could see available (that is an upgrade) and he's being t'd up for the Dragons coaching position.
Flanagan is not allowed (currently) to be a head coach anywhere until 2022 under the conditions of his ban being lifted. Even then I’d hope he comes nowhere near Belmore.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Flanagan is not allowed (currently) to be a head coach anywhere until 2022 under the conditions of his band being lifted. Even then I’d hope he comes nowhere near Belmore.
A lot of people suspect it will be lifted after one year as assistant coach (tho facts are what you wrote). Just looking at Flanagan as a coach he'd be really good for us. After him I couldn't give one name.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A lot of people suspect it will be lifted after one year as assistant coach (tho facts are what you wrote). Just looking at Flanagan as a coach he'd be really good for us. After him I couldn't give one name.
We’ll see. Personally I’d hope the NRL holds firm. Leopards don’t change their spots in my view and his grovelling apology letter was only because he needed a job. I’m all for redemption - I’m just suspicious when it comes to him - after all he didn’t just cheat once...

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We’ll see. Personally I’d hope the NRL holds firm. Leopards don’t change their spots in my view and his grovelling apology letter was only because he needed a job. I’m all for redemption - I’m just suspicious when it comes to him - after all he didn’t just cheat once...
We don’t need people like him around our club at all,
Were not that desperate please
Let’s give dean some time this year then if things turn ugly we can cross that bridge
Rather someone with integrity which our juniors will look up to.

Last edited:

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
El Masri coached legends of league.
Sign him as head coach if pay falls through.

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We had Damien Cook and we let him go

Tedesco was off contract and we couldnt nab him

Cronk was another one and we couldnt nab him

Since than there has been no superstar "spine" players available to recruit and quite frankly there isnt anything coming through anywhere

We are going through a shit period where there is fuck all talent or proven superstars available for what our club requires

Tough titties

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I have really low expectations of Katoa after what I have seen at Penrith. I’d love to be surprised but he’s not much of a upgrade on Lichaa.
Agree. I didn't want him at all, everyone got excited because he played a good game for Tonga... Thing is it's his country he got up for in a one off game with a beast forward pack. He won't have that luxury with us. I hope he proves me wrong but