Not open for further replies.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Seems Des has achieved getting us under the radar again with 1 loss in 13. Nice work Des. From Ninemsn...

"Despite finishing first and second at the end of the NRL season, Canterbury and Melbourne aren't at the top of everyone's list when it comes to picking the grand final winners.

Some of the code's biggest names instead see the teams fighting out positions three through five as well-placed to snatch the premiership...."

Full Story (much longer) link below.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8524918

matt78

Waterboy
Reaction score
i dont understand why cowboys are talked so high - i think the dragons could of had them 2 weeks ago

melbourne at the moment are rusty but beware the sleeping giant

manly -its easy . they have being hitting form lately and are defending premiers

im suprised with us , we are still most likely finish 1st and we have been the most informed team the last 3 months ( very strange ) though might work wonders

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
put a pen through the cows - they cant win in sydney , the two teams that worry me the most are melb and manly

Big_Dawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manly have been taking care of some pretty easy teams think about it

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
put a pen through the cows - they cant win in sydney , the two teams that worry me the most are melb and manly
I'm of the same opinion. Any team with the "Big Three" will always be the biggest threat. Manly do have in them a poor second half, however deny them the try line and they can become edgy and make mistakes. Storm are my 'smokies'. For the Dogs to win this one, and we have just as greater chance as anybody else, we will need to re-introduce that defensive effort we put up against the Storm in Mackay. Especially now allowing teams to score against us in that final twenty minutes.

Cat & Mouse

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We are "under the radar" in the media, not so much the great coaches of Bellamy etc

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Full story....
[h=1]Bulldogs looking for historic rugby league clean sweep[/h]

Watch
[h=2]League Central: Round 26 – Bulldogs v Roosters[/h]The Bulldogs’ 12-game winning streak came to an end last week and Des Hasler will be keen to get them back on track ahead of the finals aga...

Play

0:00 / 4:11

Scrubber
mute
Fullscreen

CANTERBURY are poised to finish minor premiers in all three grades and will now focus on a historic rugby league clean sweep - a feat last achieved nearly 50 years ago.

The Bulldogs lead the competitions in NRL, Toyota Cup and the NSW Cup going into the final round - a rare and extraordinary performance under a new head coach.
Canterbury is also clear winner of the 2012 club championship.
The Bulldogs must defeat Sydney Roosters tomorrow night at ANZ Stadium to officially secure the NRL minor premiership.
St George was the last team to win all three grades back in 1963 - smack bang in the middle of their unprecedented 11-year premiership streak.
The Dragons that year won first grade 8-3 against Wests, reserve grade 5-4 versus Souths while third grade defeated Canterbury 12-2.
"Once in 49 years - that shows how hard it is winning three grades in one year," said former Canterbury forward David Gillespie.

"There is a long, long way to go before it happens this year but full credit to Des Hasler and the Bulldogs. Leading three grades into the final round is a great effort.
"It's wonderful having Canterbury back where they belong - among the top clubs in rugby league."
Before Saints, Souths were the last club to win all three grades way back in 1925. And before that it was Balmain in 1915 and 1916.
This year's results aren't surprising to club CEO Todd Greenberg.
"Both Des and I said at the start of pre-season that we wanted to be competitive throughout the year," Greenberg said. "It is pleasing to see all three grades competing for minor premiership honours this weekend. It reflects the club's hard work and significant credit should be apportioned to the football staff.
"Our results to date certainly auger well for the future. Ultimately we are looking for long-term sustainable success on and off the field. The true rewards come at the end of September - not at the beginning."
Head of stats at Fox Sports Stats, historian Ian Collis, reckons Canterbury is a real chance to pull off a miracle. "It remains the holy grail of the modern era but will the very strong Canterbury sides of this year finally break through for three grades? Looking at their playing roster they are certainly a chance," he said.
"In the years since those great St George sides of 1963, the closest a club has gone was in both 1964 and '65, when Saints won two of the three grand finals.
"St George again in 1985 went close when their first grade side failed by the narrowest margins to defeat Canterbury, and Canberra almost managed to make it in 1990, losing just the reserve grade in extra time.
"Parramatta, who were the last to dominate the club championship, with seven consecutive wins from 1976 to 1982, could not break through."

matt78

Waterboy
Reaction score
as if Des cares about the lower grades !!!! his priority is the team he coaches and to beat Manly !!!
thats it

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are still number 1 and anybody who thinks we got there by luck is a sh1t dribbler.
The guys worked hard and played their arses off, they know what it takes despite the doubters.

MrDogzOfWar

Dogz At War!
Reaction score
as if Des cares about the lower grades !!!! his priority is the team he coaches and to beat Manly !!!
thats it
Then how do you think we are Champions of 2012 for coming all 1st in 3 grades... Des Hasler has probably trained them all at once..

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
You will find Matty that the head coach is very interested in the lower grades. That is where he finds players to step up during injury and improvements in form that cannot be ignored.

thats it

Allan

Man of Steel
Reaction score
Back under the radar indeed! Amazing that one loss has caused people to start looking at other teams. Let's be honest...it was bloody freezing down there in Canberrra. Ennis was being rested and the rest of the team played like a mob of teenagers. It had nothing to do with the form they have shown the rest of the year. I expect them to come out and absolutely smash the Roosters. No Roosters fans will turn up to see it. They know what is about to happen..

It's like the US forces sitting in Kuwait building up ready to invade Iraq in Desert Storm. Every detail that can be taken care of will be done this week. Every player will be psyched to do murder. Watch the team in the warm up session. They will be tense, they will be on fire. Anticipation and nerves will inevitably lead to a few early mistakes like holding too long in the tackle or offside but the boys will brush this aside. Big Sam had a forgettable game last week, he will break the line at will on Saturday night. Benny will find gaps to run through as wide as Sydney heads and Josh Reynolds will simply torment Anasta.

Cannot predict the score line but we are looking at a tragedy for the Roosters. It won't mean all that much for the finals as we meet equally committed top 4 sides but for this Saturday, we rule the world!

matt78

Waterboy
Reaction score
You will find Matty that the head coach is very interested in the lower grades. That is where he finds players to step up during injury and improvements in form that cannot be ignored.
im not saying he doesnt know whats going on , but he has to concentrate on 1st grade , he cant spend time on reserves getting the set play right...

only if theres an injury he will call for the replacement and try to drill into him the plays with the limited time he has....

reynolds with keating is a better combination than reynolds / romelo...

i assure you while he coaches any team other than Manly thats a scalp everytime !!!!

des cant possibly take credit for all 3 grades ( his hands are full with 1st grade , look at the competion his up against ) ok his a good coach but come on !!!!

ps. remember brian smith taking the roosters to the grand final first year at coaching roosters ???? since then ...what .....
lets see how des goes next year , thats important

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm of the same opinion. Any team with the "Big Three" will always be the biggest threat. Manly do have in them a poor second half, however deny them the try line and they can become edgy and make mistakes. Storm are my 'smokies'. For the Dogs to win this one, and we have just as greater chance as anybody else, we will need to re-introduce that defensive effort we put up against the Storm in Mackay. Especially now allowing teams to score against us in that final twenty minutes.
Yep. Can't argue with mearsey or Guardog.

FattyMcLarge

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Well the cowboys almost won against us. Manly we only just defeated. Storm was another close one until the final ten. South's are another close win. I would love to say that this is our year. However now this is the time to shine boys.
C'mon boy's
"Cause we're proud to be a bulldog, or a bulldog in a man"

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have confidence that we can make a massive dent in the finals but i think the Dogs need to treat any side that makes the eight with respect. We will lift for the finals but other teams will too. If we can cope with the increased speed and pressure we can challenge any side. The big question mark is over our youngsters. Our 6, 7 and 1 are still fairly young and could deal poorly with finals footy(I don't think they will but it's possible). I expect Des will have them ready mentally though.

I hope we demolish the Roosters this week to reignite the teams confidence after a forgettable loss. I'd love to see us keep the chooks scoreless too.

Status
Not open for further replies.