News B Smith: Which club could it be?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Won’t tolerate salary cap cheating’: Warning after Smith’s manager makes stunning allegation

Brandon Smith’s manager last week made the stunning allegation that at least one NRL team offered the Roosters star an illegal payment outside the salary cap during negotiations last year.

Now ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys has responded to the “serious allegation” and sent a warning to all 17 clubs in the competition.

It comes after Stan Martin, Smith’s manager, told News Corp last week that one club “offered me a backhander”.

No brown paper bags,” Martin said. “Everything we do must be above board.

“But I had no interest in anything dodgy like that,” he added, also stressing that the Roosters had operated entirely within NRL salary cap rules in successfully signing Smith.

Martin did not name the team, although speaking to The Daily Telegraph, V’landys called on him to substantiate the claims while adding the NRL won’t “tolerate salary cap cheating”, should it be proven.

“If Brandon Smith’s manager has some information, I encourage him to make that information available to the NRL integrity unit,” V’landys said.

“It’s a serious allegation. If he has evidence of some club trying to cheat the system, he should immediately hand it to the integrity unit for them to investigate.

“If he can provide some evidence, we will certainly be taking action, no fear or favour.”

He was in serious talks with Titans and the Dolphins. I doubt our club would risk doing something stupid like that and risk getting deregistered.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I doubt we were ever interested in signing him so I doubt its us

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Now they're taking the piss.. They want to call out other clubs for rorting the cap, yet they signed with the Roosters who paid Smith less than other clubs were offering because the Roosters continually top up payments outside of the cap and have done for years..

Oh the irony..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is like Jeffrey Dahmer ringing up the police about strange odours coming from his neighbours place and that he thinks his neighbour might be a serial killer.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And if hes going to run his mouth like that should have the balls to speak up because they are serious allegations.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Misdirection. It's the Roosters.
Big gamble by Cheese's Agent. Sounds as dumb as his client. Opened up a whole big can of worms. FB abuzz with majority saying it's Rorters. Very few have any respect for their salary cap/roster miracle signings and it just highlights how farcical their so called fair dinkum cap management is.

No one believes them even if its not them with this particular revelation.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So this is the actual question
If it wasn't the roosters, what other mechanisms are the roosters using?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Don’t know if it’s true but maybe titans. Dolphins had plenty of cap space. Wouldn’t think it was us unless it was Laundy but he would be smart enough to do everything at arms length (3rd party)

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shows how incompetent the league is, they should be doing inspections of clubs either all or random including the roosters rather then asking someone to come forward.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How can the NRL act on it??
This contract wasn't signed so no offence was committed....

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won’t tolerate salary cap cheating’: Warning after Smith’s manager makes stunning allegation

Brandon Smith’s manager last week made the stunning allegation that at least one NRL team offered the Roosters star an illegal payment outside the salary cap during negotiations last year.

Now ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys has responded to the “serious allegation” and sent a warning to all 17 clubs in the competition.

It comes after Stan Martin, Smith’s manager, told News Corp last week that one club “offered me a backhander”.

“But I had no interest in anything dodgy like that,” he added, also stressing that the Roosters had operated entirely within NRL salary cap rules in successfully signing Smith.

Martin did not name the team, although speaking to The Daily Telegraph, V’landys called on him to substantiate the claims while adding the NRL won’t “tolerate salary cap cheating”, should it be proven.

“If Brandon Smith’s manager has some information, I encourage him to make that information available to the NRL integrity unit,” V’landys said.

“It’s a serious allegation. If he has evidence of some club trying to cheat the system, he should immediately hand it to the integrity unit for them to investigate.

“If he can provide some evidence, we will certainly be taking action, no fear or favour.”

He was in serious talks with Titans and the Dolphins. I doubt our club would risk doing something stupid like that and risk getting deregistered.
We all know the roosters offered the golf game instead of brown paper bags.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Typical trick used to take the heat off yourself/your club, throw mud at someone else to draw attention away from yourself.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typical trick to take the heat off yourself/your club, throw mud at someone else to draw attention away from yourself.