Avo

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt Burton would ever play lock, on an edge maybe. Ball playing locks are a myth imo.
You're right some people are still living in the past. The game has changed a lot (sometimes for the worse IMHO) in just a few years.
Locks are now just a 3rd prop, the 2nd rowers, now do the work the lock once did, plus the wingers have now become much more involved.
I remember long ago it been said how one really great winger Ken Irvine was always catching the cold when playing for the North Sydney Bears.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
With the changes in the rules and how the game is played now. The return of the ball ball playing lock (20+ years on) is the way the game is headed.

The big man in the game will become a rare commodity over the next little while. Seeing mobile packs with the lock as a second 5/8.

Burton could most definitely end up at lock.
I agree there will be more mobile packs, but not necessarily a ball playing lock. I'd prefer my forwards do have decent hands and be able to just pass rather than be genuine ball players that will just get in the way of the halves.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that's a possibility, however perhaps a more likely possibility is Cleary or some clever Penrith diehard, or perhaps even (Gould) (he has already tried to turn Barrett away from our club after he had signed), gets into his ear and then he wants to renege on his contract. (one full season is along time in football terms.)
No chance. Why would he renege? He wants to play 6 and with Laui there his path is blocked and will be for the next 5-10 years. If he was happy playing lock/backrow/centre on a $300K a year deal he would have stayed at Penrith. We signed him because he wanted to play 6 under Baz

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I just don't see Burton playing lock for us. His best position is 6 so why would you move him just to accommodate Avo, especially when he is a better 6 than Avo is. I'm assuming we signed him on the promise the 6 jersey was his. Yes he can easily play lock but he'll be a weapon at 6.

The issue is Avo. I would have had him at FB but Baz obviously has other ideas

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Personally I just don't see Burton playing lock for us. His best position is 6 so why would you move him just to accommodate Avo, especially when he is a better 6 than Avo is. I'm assuming we signed him on the promise the 6 jersey was his. Yes he can easily play lock but he'll be a weapon at 6.

The issue is Avo. I would have had him at FB but Baz obviously has other ideas
Burton probably is the better 6 but I don’t think it’s certainty at the minute when you consider how much footy both have played at NRL in the halves. They are both pretty much are untested in the halves. Burton will in all likely hood be there at 5/8 in 2022 but Avo could throw a huge spanner in the works with a break out season before Burton arrives and what happens then? It’s all hypothetical at this stage but it’s not out of the realms of possibility.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton probably is the better 6 but I don’t think it’s certainty at the minute when you consider how much footy both have played at NRL in the halves. They are both pretty much are untested in the halves. Burton will in all likely hood be there at 5/8 in 2022 but Avo could throw a huge spanner in the works with a break out season before Burton arrives and what happens then? It’s all hypothetical at this stage but it’s not out of the realms of possibility.
I get what you're saying but you only have to look at their highlights in the juniors to see Burton is the more gifted player. His skill set (passing and kicking game) is far superior to that of Avo. Unless Burton is lazy and doesn't realise his full potential, there is no doubt in my mind that Burton will be the 6 long term. I think if Avo kills it and Allen doesn't, he'll more likely end up pushing Allen out of the 1 jersey. I just can't see him taking the 6 jersey off Burton

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get what you're saying but you only have to look at their highlights in the juniors to see Burton is the more gifted player. His skill set (passing and kicking game) is far superior to that of Avo. Unless Burton is lazy and doesn't realise his full potential, there is no doubt in my mind that Burton will be the 6 long term. I think if Avo kills it and Allen doesn't, he'll more likely end up pushing Allen out of the 1 jersey. I just can't see him taking the 6 jersey off Burton
Everyone looks good in the highlights and I’m not saying Burton isn’t talented but he hasn’t done much at all at NRL level. Lichaa had outstanding lower grade highlights too so it isn’t always a given that they transfer that into first grade. As I said Burton probably will be the long term five eighth but a big season from Averillo really puts the heat on Burton to fire especially if he is only playing lower grades or a bench role at Penrith.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with Burton pretty obvious he will be a sensation but ave is young and with some good coaching and some more muscle he could easily be moulded into a centre,I really feel with Burton and allan its what has to happen
I agree it does look like Averillo's best bet is in the centres for 2022. Another role i could see for him is on a wing with a license to have a roving commission and bob up in unexpected places when we have the ball maybe sniffing around the rucks for offloads. I remember Chris Anderson scoring tries on lots of places far away from his right wing. The skill set for a winger particularly with kick defusion of bombs chips and grubbers is often very similar to a fullback and also his defence wouldn't be under as much pressure. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Averillo will be a more experienced first grader than Burton when he joins us, in fact he already is. Wrap your head around that if Jake excels at 6 this year.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Averillo will be a more experienced first grader than Burton when he joins us, in fact he already is. Wrap your head around that if Jake excels at 6 this year.
Jake has a huge opportunity if he starts in the halves this year. For arguments sake what happens if Jake has a great year and forms a good combo with Flanagan and gets us into the 8 while Burton plays the majority of the season in reggies?

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Burton pretty obvious he will be a sensation but ave is young and with some good coaching and some more muscle he could easily be moulded into a centre,I really feel with Burton and allan its what has to happen
Id rather Allan at centre and Avo at fullback in 2022 if Avo shows promise.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Jake has a huge opportunity if he starts in the halves this year. For arguments sake what happens if Jake has a great year and forms a good combo with Flanagan and gets us into the 8 while Burton plays the majority of the season in reggies?
In that case Barrett would have a real conundrum on his hands. It's a little concerning Baz may have recruited Burton to play 6 no matter what. I guess it's up to Avo to change his mind. He would have to have a HUGE year.

Last edited:

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But what happens if Flanagan fires?
I dont think flanaghan has the same potential as what avo and burton have.

I've said that from day dot.

Its a case of wait and see, its up to each individual to put their best foot forward.

Thats why its wakeham is last the pecking order, his attitude isn't up to scratch

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
In that case Barrett would have a real conundrum on his hands. It's a little concerning Baz may have recruited Burton to play 6 no matter what. I guess it's up to Avo to change his mind. He would have to have a huge year.
Jake would have to have a massive year I doubt it’s going to happen but it is possible. I guess after the last few years having to choose between two good options at five eighth isn’t the worst problem to have.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to hear everyones thoughts on where Avo will be playing this year and next year.

Personally I would love to see him at FB, however I dont think this will happen as most of his jnrs have been at 5/8 and centre.

My concern is if Burton joins this year the only potential spot is FB (very doubtful considering Allans signing)
Averillo 2021 - 5/8 , Averillo 2022 - Hoppa gone , Averillo to Centre unless he has a blinder of a year at 5/8 this year, then it will become very tricky for TBAZ.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Jake would have to have a massive year I doubt it’s going to happen but it is possible. I guess after the last few years having to choose between two good options at five eighth isn’t the worst problem to have.
I love Jake he will kill it this year. Best thing since Barba.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree there will be more mobile packs, but not necessarily a ball playing lock. I'd prefer my forwards do have decent hands and be able to just pass rather than be genuine ball players that will just get in the way of the halves.
I would suggest that forwards such as Dymock & Smith did much more with the ball than getting in the way of the halves for us. Gould, Beetson...any number of old school pommy ball playing props all had a huge role in ball playing through the years on a league field.
It's only been in recent years where statistics have dictated how the game is played, along with the obsession for people with athletic traits to mould into footballers over the signing & promotion of actual natural/instinctive footballers that has necessitated directing players to avoid ball playing. In the past it was the norm, not something to be feared or avoided in your team/players.