Avo

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’m a bit confused. There’s a lot of love for Burton here who has played I think 6 games of first grade. And we have Avarillo who was probably in our top three players last year along with RFM and Foran. And we are suggesting Avo as a utility?

Has to be Avarillo every day of the week to start surely. What’s the rush with getting Burton in? I don’t see how he is a walk up start if he comes this year.
you will know soon enough, when hes carving up for us. Reminds me of a bigger ponga with better playmaking skills

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Matt Burton 2020 SEASON

APPEARANCES - 5
TRIES - 3
FORCED DROP OUTS - 3
AVERAGE KICKING METRES - 122.5
TRY ASSISTS - 1
LINE BREAK ASSISTS - 2
RECEIPTS - 136
TACKLES MADE - 54
TACKLE EFFICIENCY - 69.6%
AVERAGE RUNNING METRES - 40
TOTAL RUNNING METRES - 285

Avo 2020 season

APPEARANCES - 13
TRIES - 3
Goals - 12/15 80% Conversion rate.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I would like to hear everyones thoughts on where Avo will be playing this year and next year.

Personally I would love to see him at FB, however I dont think this will happen as most of his jnrs have been at 5/8 and centre.

My concern is if Burton joins this year the only potential spot is FB (very doubtful considering Allans signing)
Go sit on your 2021 wooden spoon and rotate. Your trolling sucks NEARLY as much as your team.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Even to suggest moving Burton out of the halves to accommodate Avo is ridiculous......one thing our players and fans should accept moving forward there are no more free rides at the Bulldogs. Everyone will have to fight for their place in our team and if they can't crack our top 17 then they should not be there.
We all know that the game has changed a lot since the 80's, but the great Jack Gibson said that you pick your best 13 and fit them in.
I haven't seen much of Burton but going by the hype he should be able to do a great job in a number of positions.
As for Avo the jury is still out IMHO, he does have a lot of ability, but doesn't appear to be tough enough.
In comparing him with Tedesco this is what I see.
(1) I believe he is faster that Tedesco over 50-100 M, not sure of him been quicker off the mark though.
(2) Is of similar build.
(3) He appears injury prone, but then so was Tedesco at the beginning.
(4) has shown something of a short kicking game which I haven't seen from Tedesco, but not much use at FB.
AS for Burton if he is as good as some make him out to be and the next Fittler, Cleary would have been STUPID to have let him go, but then a fair few on TK think that Cleary is stupid.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We all know that the game has changed a lot since the 80's, but the great Jack Gibson said that you pick your best 13 and fit them in.
I haven't seen much of Burton but going by the hype he should be able to do a great job in a number of positions.
As for Avo the jury is still out IMHO, he does have a lot of ability, but doesn't appear to be tough enough.
In comparing him with Tedesco this is what I see.
(1) I believe he is faster that Tedesco over 50-100 M, not sure of him been quicker off the mark though.
(2) Is of similar build.
(3) He appears injury prone, but then so was Tedesco at the beginning.
(4) has shown something of a short kicking game which I haven't seen from Tedesco, but not much use at FB.
AS for Burton if he is as good as some make him out to be and the next Fittler, Cleary would have been STUPID to have let him go, but then a fair few on TK think that Cleary is stupid.[/QUOTE]

Allan is more similar to Teddy in build and also running style

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Avo would be a great Hooker or Fullback but he needs to work on his defence more first.
Maybe a bench spot would be the best option for now....

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
By process of elimination, wondering if Averillo is being groomed to play 9/14?

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Compare the pair...

2020 Rd 1
1 DWZ
2 Meaney
3 R Smith
4 Hoppa
5 Crichton
6 Wakeham
7 Lewis

2021 Predicted Rd 1
1 Allan
2 Meaney
3 Cotric
4 Hoppa
5 DWZ
6 Avo
7 Flanagan

This isn't a dig a Pay or previous administrations but just such an improvement of where we were previously at.

Mike Z

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Compare the pair...

2020 Rd 1
1 DWZ
2 Meaney
3 R Smith
4 Hoppa
5 Crichton
6 Wakeham
7 Lewis

2021 Predicted Rd 1
1 Allan
2 Meaney
3 Cotric
4 Hoppa
5 DWZ
6 Avo
7 Flanagan

This isn't a dig a Pay or previous administrations but just such an improvement of where we were previously at.
You did not include MONTOYA and HOLLAND Who occupied much of the year in the numbers 3 & 4

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Avo would be a great Hooker or Fullback but he needs to work on his defence more first.
Maybe a bench spot would be the best option for now....
LOLL you would think that he would be a great lists 2 of the most diff positions night and day

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont think Avo is ready for FB. He got knocked about a bit last year and looked like a kid amongst men. Imagine him kick returning, he'll get smashed.
Meany was treading water 2 years ago when he was a weed. I think it would be the same with Avo. What will that do for his confidence after seeing his confidence slip last year after a few knocks.
Can he organize defense?
Even Hoppa underdone late last year couldnt do his job with all his experience at fullback. Jeez some dont want Ado at fullback with all his power and flash.
I dont want to dump shit on Lewis but I just cant see him improving measurably in the halves. Thats what we would be required of him. I just cant see it happening no matter how good the coaching staff is. Ive always placed skill, spark, creativeness over defense in regards to halves. Maloney was fucking dreadful at time defensively.
Id like to see Avo given a crack in the halves. He has way more potential than Lewis and Wakeham. If it doesnt work out, then reserves for the rest of the year to look forward to seeing him rejoin first grade with more experience.
In saying that Im no coach, Im happy with whatever Baz and Co. does.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I dont think Avo is ready for FB. He got knocked about a bit last year and looked like a kid amongst men. Imagine him kick returning, he'll get smashed.
Meany was treading water 2 years ago when he was a weed. I think it would be the same with Avo. What will that do for his confidence after seeing his confidence slip last year after a few knocks.
Can he organize defense?
Even Hoppa underdone late last year couldnt do his job with all his experience at fullback. Jeez some dont want Ado at fullback with all his power and flash.
I dont want to dump shit on Lewis but I just cant see him improving measurably in the halves. Thats what we would be required of him. I just cant see it happening no matter how good the coaching staff is. Ive always placed skill, spark, creativeness over defense in regards to halves. Maloney was fucking dreadful at time defensively.
Id like to see Avo given a crack in the halves. He has way more potential than Lewis and Wakeham. If it doesnt work out, then reserves for the rest of the year to look forward to seeing him rejoin first grade with more experience.
In saying that Im no coach, Im happy with whatever Baz and Co. does.
100% first and foremost your halve need to be attackers...Maloney is a good example of a guy that was average defensively but great with the ball and he ended up winning two championships (played in losing GF as well with Warriors ) won origin and represented Roos

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s an interesting one. He says he suits running 5/8. But we bought Burton. FB could of been another option, then we bought Allan. Could be centre, but there’s Hoppa and Cotric. Where does he fit in? Bench utility?

Is it a fact he’s not as good as everyone makes him out to be? Maybe he came into the team when we were so shit he showed a bit of spark. And everyone started raving about him.

Personally, I don’t think he’s all he’s hyped up to be. IMO he needs a season in CC playing against men and toughening up a bit. Time will tell if he will be a superstar. But I personally don’t see the hype.
We don’t know how good avo really could be, cause he’s never been given a real shot at a position he can play.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We don’t know how good avo really could be, cause he’s never been given a real shot at a position he can play.

Clearly was not ready, Guy was getting smashed last year every time hed take a shot he would have to get off the field.